Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
trouble starting bike.. (Read 265 times)
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

trouble starting bike..
04/21/11 at 07:49:02

i just got done replacing my headgasket, generator and clutch cover gasket. i hooked up all my wires including the coil plug wire. at first i thought the battery was dead so i charged it for on a 2 amp charge for just under 20 hours now and it still sounds like this (in the video) im gona take it to work and test the battery later.

i lined up all the timing the way the manual said to do it, i had pulled the plug on the generator housing to see if it was turning and it does, i can even use my ratchet to turn it.

try this link for video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=217518194925052

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: trouble starting bike..
Reply #1 - 04/21/11 at 08:02:53

Id pull the spark plug & see how it acts if you find the battery is good. How long did it sit since the last time the battery would start it?
Like you, Id look at the battery first, & it does sound pretty sad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/21/11 at 08:12:46

id say it sat about 1.5 - 2 weeks since the last time i drove it and then started pulling motor out. ill try the spark plug thing after i check out the battery

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/21/11 at 08:29:46

What year bike?

Bikes with the torque limiter have washers that jump out before you get to see where they go.  And more often than not, they get put back in the wrong place.

Easy way to check, pull the starter, reach in the starter hole with your fingers and turn the gear, should turn easily in one direction and not in the other.  Also should be quite a bit of end play on both of the gears.

WWW   IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/11 at 08:39:56

and ill check that out

IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/11 at 09:13:26

is this the gear u are talking about? if so it does not move in either direction, but the gear on the starter moves in either direction

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/21/11 at 10:18:22

yep, gear in picture, take off cover, both washers go on the connected to that gear, one on either side.

BTW... eew.

WWW   IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/21/11 at 11:40:06

kinda lost me in that post, im supposed to have to washer that go around that gear, and its supposed to have one on each side of the gear?  

once i got the cover off and put a washer on each side of the gear should i be able to turn it freely while the cover is off too? also are they just regular flat washers? because i think i only have one washer if i remember correctly because the gear and washers did fall when i pulled cover off.

ohh and yea i said eewww too, but im trying to get it running again then ill wash it. i hate oil leaks

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 04/21/11 at 11:44:28

verslagen1 wrote on 04/21/11 at 10:18:22:
yep, gear in picture, take off cover, both washers go on the connected to that gear, one on either side.

BTW... eew.

Yep, sounds just like the one I fixed up and sold...washer is in the wrong place behind the stator cover. The thrust gear needs to have the washer on the outside of it or it binds on the case.
Pull the cover off, locate that washer and install it on the thrust gear...you'll be good to go!

Go to this link...
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/STARTER_CLUTCH/MakeID/2/Make/Suz...

It is the #2 washer in the pic...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/21/11 at 12:09:01

i like pictures lol ty bubba i think that washer that fell out i stuck on the number 3 part not the number 1, becuase #3 is what fell out not #1 and there was a washer that also fell and i just figured that it fell off with #3.

im gona take a look at it tonight when i get off work becuase i gota empty out my oil bucket and but some more oil. ill let you know how it turns out as soon as im done.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 04/21/11 at 14:09:37

LOL that's exactly what happened to me when I pulled the cover off the first time. In my case, the previous owner had actually put it in there wrong so I was really shooting in the dark.
Kudos to Versy for setting me right when I was doing the same troubleshooting on this forum...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/21/11 at 22:26:58

well bubba you were right, that darn little washer is what was wrong. yu saved me a lot of work i had in mind. and probably still would not of gotten in right. your a life saver.

i thanks everyone else for helping me aswell.

i just have one more question. in my picture i posted earlier to the bottum left of the starter hole there is a hole, is that suppose to be there? just wondering.  if your not sure were im talking about its right underneath the bolt to the left of the hole.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/21/11 at 22:52:00

mako_308 wrote on 04/21/11 at 22:26:58:
i just have one more question. in my picture i posted earlier to the bottom left of the starter hole there is a hole, is that suppose to be there? just wondering.  if your not sure were im talking about its right underneath the bolt to the left of the hole.

That's a drain hole, otherwise, you'd have fish too.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
mako_308
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/24/11 at 19:08:21

lol, thats what i figured i just wanted to make sure so i could decide on what fish to buy.

ok well im back with another issue..

was driving down the highway and the bike kinda shutoff on me, i pulled over, switched it over to reserve and took the nearest exit while it shut off again but started right up and then i got into the gas station were it shut off again so i decided to fill it up anyways and didn't have a problem since then.

As i was leaving my father in-laws house he pointed out there was oil down the right side of the bike. I was like "oh crap" i check the oil level and it was full so i was looking around the engine and and seen a spot that it looked like it was leaking from. i will put up some pictures to see if you all could tell me if that hole is supposed to be there for part of the fish tank or if i blew a small hole in the engine.

picture 1 to give you idea were im talking about

picture 2 is a close up

im just curious because it seems like thats were the oil was leaking from but its not low either.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 04/25/11 at 06:09:18

The stalling out could be your petcock. Try running it on PRI which eliminates the vacuum end of the petcock. If it quits stalling then I'd replace it with a Raptor petcock.
As far as the oil leaking from where you indicate, that is probably the head plug fix which is in the tech section.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:23:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble starting bike..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.