Meet "Yellow Bob" (Read 519 times)
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Meet "Yellow Bob"
04/20/11 at 07:04:05

Last December this yellow '96 Savage followed me home.

My mind was filled with ideas how to customize the bike. Of course the BCBobber kits were really tempting. The projects several of the folks here have done with the kits are fantastic. Actually, the bike seemed too nice to start pulling parts off and changing things and I hesitated a while. But after seeing more great examples of custom work on the forum I was ready to try something. As much as I love the results, I decided the BCB kit was too dear for my budget and an alternative was needed. After a lot of pondering I came up with a plan.
E-Bay got a lot of attention and soon the required parts were laid out on the garage floor and ready to install.
I did not take photos while doing this project since it went so quickly (two days) and there was not really that much to show. So, here is the result of what I consider a "mild" bob of the Savage.

I was determined to use the rider's saddle since I had Spencers modify the foam for a much more comfortable perch for my keester.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
They do not change the form of the seat but place a more comfortable foam beneath the top layer. Cost was quite reasonable and the results were more than worth it.

Serowbot and Sluggo made good use of fenders off vintage bikes with their customs and Groupous had good results mounting a fender off a Yamaha XS650. I too like the shiney look and after a moderate amount of cutting, bending and work with a hammer my bike had a new rear fender. I was amazed how heavy the original fender and side rails/sissy bar weighed. Mildly "Bobbed" I would say.

The fender did not need to be shortened to fit my plan. Most of the work was strategically putting holes where the original fender mounts could be used and forming a flat spot for the rectifier. The fender bib was a cosmetic solution for covering pitted chrome on the top of the fender. The luggage rack is for a HD Sportster. The turn signals are like many used here and the taillight came from Cleveland Cycle Werks. The small leather pouch holds some misc things and nicely hides that cavity in the back of the saddle.
That took care of the rear since I chose to leave the belt guard on.

The buckhorn bars had to go. I really like the look of the drag and tracker style bars, but the extra reach tends to set my shoulder and neck muscles on fire after much time with my arms extended. A set of Sportster bars looked like a good compromise with a little more pull back. An added bonus was I did not have to add bar risers to accommodate the new bend. There was a little surplus of brake and throttle lines. Guess a little extra is better than not enough.

The bike has a nice narrow look; just the way I like it. An axle mounted tail light and tag was tempting, but I did not want to fool with routing the wiring down there as everything followed the original pathway as shown.

I need to replace the fork seals soon and have a set of fork boots to install when taking care of that.
I also have a set of turn signals like the rear ones, but am not in any hurry to change those out. Wish I could find a TANK BIB that fits this bike. If anyone knows a source, please chime in.
Over all, I'm happy with the results and the whole project wound up costing a wee bit over $300 for the parts. Nearly $65 of that was shipping!!! Shocked

Thanks to all the folks who have done such inspiring custom work on their bikes. Remember...."Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" Wink

"Yellow Bob" and I rode up to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. It was a terrific day of riding and I was really pleased with how this bike handles. It makes me feel way younger than my 64years.....
Ride that thing!

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Meet "Yellow Bob"
Reply #1 - 04/20/11 at 07:14:13

Cool.  And you look just like someone I have seen on TV.  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/11 at 07:46:31

great job. Completely changes look of bike.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #3 - 04/20/11 at 08:22:16

Nicely done! That really looks sharp, and as you know, I'm a fan of the old school chrome fenders  Cheesy
I really like how you put the turn signals on the sides of the fender; hows that working out? I considered it but though that the rubber grommets would just pop out.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 11:00:26

Nice job on the fender...  Perfect length.   I went from too long to too short with mine.  
I think you nailed it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 04/20/11 at 11:05:29

Hi Yellow Bob, Nice to meet you.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 04/20/11 at 11:36:27

Wow I hate to think of what might happen
if Genie met Yellow Bob... Wink
Yellow Bob is one hot bike.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 04/20/11 at 11:41:48

Very nice, I think if I end up with another Savage, that I will bob it. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to look for another bike at the moment.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/20/11 at 12:30:03

Nicely done, some bobs are over done for my taste, this one is just right.  I like the rear fender, what fender was it that you started with, the Yamaha?  Also thanks for the link to the guy that does seat mods, I might send my seat to him.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #9 - 04/20/11 at 12:43:33

Very nice bike u got there, fyi tho, one of the other guys on here had a taillight similar to that and got a ticket because it wasn't visible enough.  Just wanted to give you a heads up.

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 04/20/11 at 12:45:29

I concur with the Fonz, AAYYYY!!  Grin

Put your gaiters on and it's perfect.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 04/20/11 at 13:00:29

I love the chrome fender, but I'm not sure I like the flow of it with the rest of the bike.  Maybe if the front was chrome too?  But I absolutely dig the yellow on these bikes.  Love all the other mods, I have those rear signals, and I really like the fender bib and rack.  Awesome looking bike.  Go Bob!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #12 - 04/20/11 at 16:09:37

Thanks to all for the positive feedback.

SnakeLady, Yes that little Cat's eye light is not real bright. Just fine at night, but not great during the day.I ordered a superbright LED to try to improve visibility. Had a "Homer" moment and measured the bulb from the stock tail light. The one in the new light is a smaller low profile one! Doh! No biggie, I put it in the Ninja and WOW! Jacked that tail light up a bit.  Wink I have a smaller bulb along with a small LED marker bar light ordered. We shall see if that will improve visibility. I do want to be seen! Shocked

BabyHog, Yes a chrome front fender like Sluggo's would be nize. Cool

Serowbot, Thanks! It was luck. I did not change the fender length. Did a lot of looking and pondering and went ahead and punched holes in the leading edge which is double thickness metal. Bolted it on and fiddled with the upper two mounts and viola!

Groupus, I got half inch long nylon spacers, double wrapped them with heavy black tape and inserted them in the grommets. Two wraps of tape on the signal light stems make for a snug fit through the spacer. Took 7/8ths stainless washers inside and out over the rubber grommets. Had to center them when tightening the nut on the inside. The washers are large enough that they won't go through the holes and both work together to compress the rubber resulting in a snug attachment with some shock absorbing quality. Got the spacers and washers in the fastener section of Lowe's. Wink

Engineer, that fender is from a Yamaha XS650 ('74?) Plenty of them out there. Groupus put me on to that one.

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/24/11 at 04:41:34

NICE job! I really dig your rear turn signals, where did you find em'?

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #14 - 04/24/11 at 14:26:31

bluesrockdoc wrote on 04/24/11 at 04:41:34:
NICE job! I really dig your rear turn signals, where did you find em'?

Got them from this outfit.
http://www.getlowered.com/category-s/967.htm
Note that they are not wired exactly the same as the stock lights and are not quite "plug and play". I ordered dual filament for the front and rear. There is a way to use both filaments for flasher hence brighter.
These links may help. Single filament for the rear may be easier and more straightforward.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270960937/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1303574542

Plans are to mount the same kind on the front. Will have to noodle the connections and mounting out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 21:32:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Meet "Yellow Bob"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.