Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel filter help and recommendations (Read 95 times)
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fuel filter help and recommendations
04/20/11 at 00:49:19

Hey guys, I responded to a DIY thread regarding this fuel filter I want to order for my 01 savage, but didn't get the responses I was hoping for. Anyway, here's what I want (im a big fan of the k&n air filters so I thought their fuel filter element would also be of high quality):

m.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-81-0261

m.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-81-0261

I'm waiting for my raptor petcock to be delivered so I'd thought I would go ahead and install a fuel filter while I'm working on the bike. Here's my question:

1.  Will this work for my bike with the raptor petcock?
2.  What direction is the flow?  If u look at the picture of the k&n fuel filter, it has "flow" printed on it with an arrow. Does the arrow/flow point towards the petcock? Or away from the petcock?  
3.  The k&n fuel filter has a 5/16" inlet/outlet size. Will the the existing savage fuel hose fit? Or do I need to purchase all new 5/16" fuel hose?  If so, any recommendations on the type/brand of fuel hose? And what length do I need if I have the ability to cut my own, brand new fuel line?
4.  Do I need to siphon the gas prior to installing the new inline fuel filter?
5.  The filter element will be a pleated paper, but I don't know what the Micron level is, and I heard that 10 microns are the best for our bikes. So, does it matter if its less/more than 10 microns?

Here's a different fuel filter made by k&n also:

www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=81-0221i

It doesn't use a paper filter though.  It has a sintered brass filter element.
1. It has a different size inlet/outlet size also...1/4 inch.
2. This fuel filter has a .25" inlet/outlet size. Will the the existing savage fuel hose fit? Or do I need to purchase all new 1/4" fuel hose?  or will 5/16" hose fit best with quick connect clamps?

So whats everyone recommend?  The first one I listed with a paper pleated filter?  Or the second one with a brass filter element.

Here's a complete list of all k&n inline fuel filters.....

www.knfilters.com/fuelfilter.htm

See something else that would work better for our savages?  

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: fuel filter help and recommendations
Reply #1 - 04/20/11 at 05:27:00

This is over in the tech section: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/20/11 at 06:00:06

47444C42181A121 GrinB1C2B0 wrote on 04/20/11 at 00:49:19:
Hey guys, I responded to a DIY thread regarding this fuel filter I want to order for my 01 savage, but didn't get the responses I was hoping for.

Yea..I know. This is why I posted here cuz I "didnt get the responses I was looking for"  thanks for ur help.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/20/11 at 06:19:12

Its not rocket science,.....just cut the hose wherever a little fuel filter will fit, then take the hose loose from the carb and go filter shopping for the right hose size. You don't need K&N or any other overpriced brand. Any pleated filter will be more than adequate. K&N is so over rated its pathetic.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 06:25:27

U obviously didn't read my entire post. I don't need help from YOU afterall. thanks, but no thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 04/20/11 at 06:35:18

You don't need a gas filter there is one in the gas tank,They have worked well for me for over 40 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/20/11 at 06:49:47

logan31907 wrote on 04/20/11 at 06:25:27:
U obviously didn't read my entire post. I don't need help from YOU afterall. thanks, but no thanks.

Yep, I read both of them !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/20/11 at 07:00:31

Logan, the arrow points the way the fuel flows...from the tank to the carb. As far as a hose...I'm not sure, just pull the hose off and try it on whatever filter you get, if it doesn't work then take the filter with you and go buy a new one.
As Bill said, the petcocks (Raptor & stock) both have screens built into them...that's what I use but I have thought of adding a fuel filter since I have a spare one hanging around...just not sure I want to cut my line and add 2 more spots where it might leak...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
logan31907

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/20/11 at 07:08:03

Thank you! The answer I was looking for!

Bubba wrote on 04/20/11 at 07:00:31:
Logan, the arrow points the way the fuel flows...from the tank to the carb. As far as a hose...I'm not sure, just pull the hose off and try it on whatever filter you get, if it doesn't work then take the filter with you and go buy a new one.
As Bill said, the petcocks (Raptor & stock) both have screens built into them...that's what I use but I have thought of adding a fuel filter since I have a spare one hanging around...just not sure I want to cut my line and add 2 more spots where it might leak...

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 04/20/11 at 02:52:18

I am sure you will get plenty of responses, but I will add my $.02 worth.

Most any filter will work on these bikes and with the stock or raptor petcock.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought a car fuel filter and put it inthe line.  Big enough I can see if th ebike won't start, I know the fuel is that far.  I can see any trash settling in the bottom, that makes me feel good.   Smiley  I have no idea bout microns.

I think the fuel line iand fitting on the petcock and careb are metric (it is a Japenese bike) and is between 1/4 and 5/16 you mentioned.  Either one can work, just have to push harder to get the smaller size on and be sure to clamp the bigger size tight.

As far as the fuel flow, the arrow points the way the fuel flows, from the petcock to the carb.  You will need to let the fuel out of the tank to put on the petcock, take the line off the carb and put it in a can and let gravity do the work.

Hope that helps.
MIke

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 04/20/11 at 05:25:58

This is over in the tech section: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:16:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel filter help and recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.