Parkway Day (Read 104 times)
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Parkway Day
04/19/11 at 17:49:49

Spring has sprung here in the mountains of North Carolina. Temps climbed to 80 down in Tryon today and and some of my OFRAT (see my sig line) peeps decided it was time to head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for the first time this year.
Ride reports with photos are better, but...when I pulled the camera out to snap a couple of pics I found the batteries were dead! Angry Sorry!
"Yellow Bob", my Savage was chosen to lead the ride today. Chasing me were three Road Kings and a couple of big Vulcans.
After topping off the tanks we started toward the high country via Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. Up and over the Eastern Continental Divide on 74A yielded loads of grins with plenty of hairpin and switchback turns. Finally we reached the Parkway and headed South towards Asheville. A slight detour for some excellent Mex at "Papas and Beer" broke the trip up nicely. Back to the BRP and down towards Pisgah. The Super Trapp was sounding cool when going through the tunnels...sort of like singing in the shower?  Grin Beautiful blue skies, perfect temps and turns and turns galore. We had to pull out at a couple of the overlooks to take in the view.
We jumped off the Parkway at 276 down to Brevard rolling past Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls. Following the Davidson River (noted as one of the best trout streams in the state) I felt like the water rolling down the mountain as the Savage took the turns with ease. At the bottom we stopped for an ice cream. One of the guys was grinning from ear to ear and when asked what had him smiling so, he said in his best Cheech and Chong voice "We don't neeed no stinking Dragon" Cool Got curves?
A treat was seeing a couple of fellows ride up on vintage 1940's Indian Chiefs. The real deal. Very cool!
It was time to head back to Tryon. Running down Crab Creek road to Flat Rock put us on 176 down hill through Saluda and finally home to Tryon. This turned out to be a "One Tanker" ride. I had to turn the petcock to reserve just as we arrived at the local Sunoco.
This was my first real test of the Savage into the high country and the BRP. All I can say is this bike was made for this! It rolled on through the turns like it was on a rail. It felt firmly planted and stable through the turns and what I thought was a laid back pace was leaving the bigger bikes further and further behind. Of the three bikes in my garage "Yellow Bob" is fast becoming #1 Wink
Let me know if you get to my neck of the woods and I will be happy to show you the neighborhood.
Man, I like this bike!!!!
Cheers!
Driller

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Parkway Day
Reply #1 - 04/19/11 at 20:05:33

OMG, those temps plus riding,
makes me one jealous woman..
We are lucky to get 50 lately and
rain off and on. Infact had hail for
a little while this a.m. Our lows have
been in the 30's still.
Great ride report Driller. Sounds like
you and your pals had a great ride. Is
nice to hear Bob made them all take notice
of what he can do.. Hugs.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 04/20/11 at 05:11:42

Gotta say I love these stories.  I can feel myself leaning back and forth thinking of all the twisties.  Glad you and your buddies had a great ride.  

Bob is #1.... Bob is #1.... Bob is #1    Cool

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 04/20/11 at 07:44:04

Driller

Thanks for the Ride Report.  The Savage is hard to beat on those mountain roads and it makes me grin too.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
piglt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 09:34:19

I'm so jealous!!! my dream ride is the whole 400 plus miles of the BRP than over to Skyline drive. As soon as I can get enough time off from work you will see me there Grin

IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #5 - 04/20/11 at 15:50:54

babyhog wrote on 04/20/11 at 05:11:42:
Gotta say I love these stories.  I can feel myself leaning back and forth thinking of all the twisties.  Glad you and your buddies had a great ride.  

He said he wants to ride around Seneca Rocks area. I think It will be hard to turn down the invitation to go to WBGVa. Roll Eyes

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 04/21/11 at 06:14:07

Driller wrote on 04/20/11 at 15:50:54:
babyhog wrote on 04/20/11 at 05:11:42:

He said he wants to ride around Seneca Rocks area. I think It will be hard to turn down the invitation to go to WBGVa. Roll Eyes

Yes, by God, it is one beautiful area and should be some awesome riding!  Be sure to check your batteries before that trip.  Some definite scenic photo stops.  We haven't taken the bikes there yet, but I hope to some day.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 10:05:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Parkway Day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.