Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb housing (Read 85 times)
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Carb housing
04/19/11 at 15:41:35

While taking the float bowl off the carb a sliver of the housing (edge, lip) cracked off. If we reassemble the carb with the new gasket and some sealer will this affect the running of the carb once we put it back on the bike?

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Carb housing
Reply #1 - 04/19/11 at 15:51:07

Do you have a picture?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/19/11 at 15:53:54

Depends how much cracked off. If there's any gap whatsoever, the gasket will not seal. You don't wanna use sealer on a carb. That stuff can get in the little ports or in the jets and just clog everything up. Unfortunately, if too much cracked off, you may need to get a new or used carb.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/20/11 at 05:51:59

drums1 wrote on 04/19/11 at 15:53:54:
Depends how much cracked off. If there's any gap whatsoever, the gasket will not seal. You don't wanna use sealer on a carb. That stuff can get in the little ports or in the jets and just clog everything up. Unfortunately, if too much cracked off, you may need to get a new or used carb.

Yep, it all depends on the amount of flat gasket material surface that is gone...in any.    If the gasket surface is ok then go for it.                   i

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 04/20/11 at 06:10:42

To answer the question, no, it will not affect the running, providing that none of the sealer goes astray into the fuel.
If by some horrible chance that the missing pc leave an open void to the outside, I think I would assemble the bowl to the carb first, then push some automotive silicone gasket sealer in to the void, but only enough to fill the void,....no more ! Then let it set up for a day.
What else mite work even better, is reattach the sliver to the bowl w/ JB or equivelent. Seems like a perfect spot for JB because it has no stress on it, and I believe JB is gasoline resistent.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb housing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.