Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Knock, Tick, and backfire? (Read 382 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine Knock, Tick, and backfire?
Reply #15 - 04/19/11 at 09:39:40

Pretty interesting divot in that piston..
Finger tight, ehh? How many miles on it again?

I pose I otta at least check a few while Im in there.. IF theyre outta whack, Ill pull the plug & get them all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 04/19/11 at 09:44:38

Sea Foam in the gas and oil help to prevent the engine for getting dirty.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 04/19/11 at 09:56:29

Rings show signs of active blow past -- I see original honing marks on the cylinder so you need to measure the piston skirt clearance and the ring zone clearance to make sure you have "in spec" clearances.

Skirt .0015" to .0025" is spec good, we have seen motors that ran OK with up to .0045" at the skirt (high mileage engines almost to the point of piston slap).

The upper ring area starts at around .005" clearance and it is common for carbon to build up in this area on the piston and on the cylinder wall, actually reducing this number to whatever that particular engine needs.  If you clean up all the carbon deposits in the ring area you can expect have some oil use, etc. during break in until the carbon builds back up.

YOU MUST RE-HONE THE BORE TO ALLOW THE RINGS TO SEAT, failure to do so will make a skeeter fogger.

I'd carefully clean the rings and check them carefully for any scratches and if they are immaculate I'd put them back into a coarsely honed bore and allow them to seat in the hone marks -- as long as there are no scratches the rings will seat OK in a fresh set of coarse hone marks.

Most would simply replace the rings and rehone (which is best if you are bucks up on the deal).

This engine wasn't run long, it wasn't broken in right and somebody with insufficent knowledge worked on it before you went in there  ....

(likely the young trainee kid at some stealership)

Somebody removed a base gasket or ran the engine with something that removed a bunch of barrel stack height, that is the only way a stock piston can touch the valves.

Check your pieces for removal of material from the top or the bottom of the barrel -- someone may have tried to increase the compression ratio by cutting the barrel.

If they did, you will have a slack cam chain with very little original wear before requiring a Slavy or a stick.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 04/19/11 at 10:12:14

IDK what a set of rings costs, but Id be doing my best to put new ones in there.. going back in to solve a problem later just doesn't seem like a reasonable gamble against the price of  set of rings, they cant cost That much..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/19/11 at 13:08:46

Cylinders at the mechanic being honed. Rings and gaskets on their way. see ya guys in a week or so!

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/02/11 at 12:28:43

Listened to you guys.

While I was waiting for the parts, did some sandblasting and high temp painting.

Gunna spend some time to make sure I get ALL the sand out of the valves/rockers now Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 05/02/11 at 14:55:52

Gunna spend some time to make sure I get ALL the sand out of the valves/rockers now

Id call that a very wise decision. Flush it out with a cheap brake cleaner, dont waste the $$ on Berrymans for washing sand out.. ,, stay where th air is moving,

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #22 - 05/02/11 at 17:10:05

Those pics are a good example for running name brand gas, keeping oil changed, and using an additive ocassionally (Optional). I haven't been inside mine yet, but my car engines are clean as can be when I get inside. Others may disagree, but that engine shouldn't be that carbonzxed imo.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/02/11 at 17:14:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/02/11 at 14:55:52:
Gunna spend some time to make sure I get ALL the sand out of the valves/rockers now

Id call that a very wise decision. Flush it out with a cheap brake cleaner, dont waste the $$ on Berrymans for washing sand out.. ,, stay where th air is moving,

Fresh paint!

Im just gunna keep hitting it with the air, making sure I get most of everything. been hitting it with some mineral spirits as well.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/02/11 at 21:16:49

divots in the piston are telling me you may have bent a valve. flip the head over and fill the chamber with water/solvent. If it leaks get them valves out and see if they're bent at all. If they're not bent but the chamber still wont hold liquid have a look in the tech section for stimpy's how to on valve lapping or have a machine shop look into cutting the valve seats. You cannot cut the valve faces. If you get the valve seats cut and it still wont hold liquid you need new valves.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/02/11 at 22:17:05

One other thing could've caused the ding in the piston.
A sticky valve.

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/03/11 at 10:27:35

I soaked the valves in some CLR overnight just to get rid of some of that buildup everywhere, and It held some of the liquid.

you can see it leaked out both the intake and exhaust holes.

Ill do it again with a 1 hour test.

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/03/11 at 11:30:06

so far nothing else seems to have seeped through. and if it has, it takes a long time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Knock, Tick, and backfire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.