WINDSHIELDS (Read 148 times)
mark1972
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

National Park  New Jersey
WINDSHIELDS
04/16/11 at 16:07:21

Hello Everyone..  Any suggestions for a windshield??  My 1999 just just waers me out on the highway.  I live in New Jersey so we get a bit of all season weather.  BUT i dont think i will be doing all that much winter riding.  I have looked on line and read some reviews but i figure why not get some advice from someone who rides what i ride.  Thanks in advance, Mark

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: WINDSHIELDS
Reply #1 - 04/16/11 at 16:40:41

If you're used to no shield at all, then a flyshield maybe what you need.
I was comfortable with a big shield, came with the bike.
Then I got a sport shield cause I wanted more wind in the face.  Problem was I couldn't get it low enough to get the buffeting off the helmet.
So I got a national cycle flyshield, perfect.  I ride all year with it now.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 04/16/11 at 17:03:31

I use a Slipstreamer Spitfire S-06. It's not very big, but it does a good job. It comes in 7/8" and 1' hardware sizes. Our bikes have 1" bars. About $60 from a local Suzuki shop.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/16/11 at 17:31:33

I use the suzuki boulevard S40/LS650 windshield on my 1999.  I found it on the discount rack a my local dealer for $35 I offered $ 20 and he took it!  The prior owner must have used the wrong cleaner on it and plastic coating is bit marred.

It made a huge difference!  I cuts down on the stress and makes cold mornings easier.  I am able to see over the top and it puts the wind over my helmet (I am 5ft 8in).

I like that it mounts to the forks not the handle bars.  However, I hear different noise from the bike that I never heard before.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/16/11 at 19:00:14

mark1972 wrote on 04/16/11 at 16:07:21:
Hello Everyone..  Any suggestions for a windshield??  My 1999 just just waers me out on the highway.  I live in New Jersey so we get a bit of all season weather.  BUT i dont think i will be doing all that much winter riding.  I have looked on line and read some reviews but i figure why not get some advice from someone who rides what i ride.  Thanks in advance, Mark

The bigger the windshield the more comfortable the ride.I even put lowers on mine and that help a lot,You don't feel like your getting blown off the bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/16/11 at 19:42:15

The bigger, the more engine noise.
I tried a couple smaller, then settled on this slipstreamers fairing style......I love it. It comes in 16 or 20" heights, and is fork mounted same as Suzuki OEM.
http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_...

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 04/16/11 at 20:12:37

If youre planning to ride in the 35-45 degree range, a larger fairing that protects the hands might be good, I have the enterprise by Slipstreamer i think.   Otherwise, smaller is usually enjoyed more.

IP Logged
Fuzzy5150
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/16/11 at 20:13:24

I installed a Plexifairing 3.  There are none that are an exact fit for the S40, so had to modify.  The headlight opening is not correct, leaving a gap above the headlight.  I got some stock plexiglass, made a blank to fill in the gap, and secured it with 3 screws.  I also painted the blank flat black to prevent the headlight reflection.

It works great, and keeps 95% of the wind off.  This model has lowers that will hang down in front of the turn signals, so also provides good protection for the knee up.

"Strength over weakness, pride over humility, and knowledge over faith."
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 04/16/11 at 20:36:35

I went down the plexi 3 road before I bought the slip stream. The plexi 3 fits the Savage but not the s40.
Someone here on the forum did a full scale investigation on this,.....it seem there was  a change made in mounting the turn signal lites between the Savage and s40, w/ the lites being behind the forks on the s40, and in front of the forks on the Savage. Therefore the plexi 3 is not listed to fit the s40.
The slip streamer fairing is nearly the same (except thicker) and fits the s40 perfectly, but is more expensive.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/17/11 at 06:54:22

Back when my GF and I both had Savages we had the National Cycle Plexifairing 3, it has almost total protection and if you wanted to remove it was easy. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WINDSHIELDS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.