Send Topic Print
Fuel mixture (Read 255 times)
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Fuel mixture
04/15/11 at 04:40:27

Since I was was planning on working on the girlfriends bike last night I picked up a new plug for our bikes. Did the girlfriends bike first and plug looked normal, slightly brown on the tip. Pulled my plug and got this:

I'm thinking this is pretty lean??? Carb has stock pilot jet and a 150 main, i'm running a harley softail muffler. I run seafoam in the gas so I would think the carb should be fairly clean...  Huh   What do you guys think?

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Fuel mixture
Reply #1 - 04/15/11 at 07:50:55

I don't see any signs of it burning.
Assuming it runs good, I'm thinking if this is from normal crusing in mild weather, you may want to richen it up a tad, but only if you were to run it harder in hotter weather.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #2 - 04/15/11 at 07:51:24

Forgot to mention I am 2 turns out on the idle mixture screw.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 04/15/11 at 08:30:48

Are you having any issues with the bike... ie... popping or backfire? If not... you are way in the clear! If you are running good and richen it up some, you may end up burning more fuel then necessary. Could increase your performance, but may not. You can always try and then put it back to where it is now.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/15/11 at 08:54:45

IN-S40 wrote on 04/15/11 at 07:51:24:
Forgot to mention I am 2 turns out on the idle mixture screw.

Unless you spend most of your time in idle, the adjustment is not a problem.

Any surging?  white spacer mod
How's the WOT test? wide open throttle back off an 1/8, does it pick up? go up a size.

WWW   IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #5 - 04/15/11 at 10:25:57

White spacer has been reduced by about 1/3. Seems to surge a little if the engine is running slower like 3rd gear doing 30mph but its is a very slight surge. Otherwise she runs fine mid and top end. I may be over reacting a bit? I just remember from my snowmobile days you wanted a nice dull brown. Not a grey or white but thats a 2-stroke, replaced a few pistons because of that.. I was thinking about pulling the carb and cleaning it in my ultrasonic cleaner but not looking forward to pulling it...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/15/11 at 19:49:46

IN-S40 wrote on 04/15/11 at 10:25:57:
White spacer has been reduced by about 1/3. Seems to surge a little if the engine is running slower like 3rd gear doing 30mph but its is a very slight surge. Otherwise she runs fine mid and top end. I may be over reacting a bit? I just remember from my snowmobile days you wanted a nice dull brown. Not a grey or white but thats a 2-stroke, replaced a few pistons because of that.. I was thinking about pulling the carb and cleaning it in my ultrasonic cleaner but not looking forward to pulling it...

A tan color plug is the right color, that leaves a margin for a WOT run on a hot day. Mine looked more like yours, and that was 4,000 mi ago.
But I seldom do WOT more than 10 seconds at a time, and I don't ride on hot days, so I don't need a margin. If you are going to do 80+ for an hr on a hot day, you mite better give it a little more fuel.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #7 - 04/16/11 at 09:37:06

Well I only started riding last fall so i dont see myself going that fast for that long.... lol
I just like to take care of problems before they become big problems, I have found its less expensive that way! I did take the bowl off the carb and from what i could see it looked spotless in there but i know tha doesnt tell all.. Since i normally ride slower, around 1/3 throttle which jet would be affecting it to be on the lean side? I always thought the main came into play around 1/2 to full throttle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/16/11 at 11:24:17

IN-S40 wrote on 04/16/11 at 09:37:06:
Since i normally ride slower, around 1/3 throttle which jet would be affecting it to be on the lean side? I always thought the main came into play around 1/2 to full throttle.

You're right it does, but the main feeds the needle jet.
So changing it gives more fuel to the entire range vs. just raising the needle a bit to give more gas earlier.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/16/11 at 11:36:19

I think you're worrying about nothing....
but,... at those low speeds, you're mostly running on pilot jet.  I base my pilot size mostly on gas mileage.  If you run light throttle cruise, and your mpg's are in the 55 to 60mpg range, your pilot is a good size with this engine...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 04/16/11 at 13:56:45

With a cv carb you really don't know where that slide in the carb is at, at any throttle opening.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/16/11 at 14:38:52

bill67 wrote on 04/16/11 at 13:56:45:
With a cv carb you really don't know where that slide in the carb is at, at any throttle opening.

I always know where my slide is at... between the bowl and cap... there abouts.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 04/16/11 at 18:46:34

verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/11 at 14:38:52:

I always know where my slide is at... between the bowl and cap... there abouts.   Grin

Maybe not have you looked lately.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/16/11 at 19:39:21

bill67 wrote on 04/16/11 at 18:46:34:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/16/11 at 14:38:52:

Maybe not have you looked lately.

Yes, I even twist the grip and it sprung right up.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 04/16/11 at 19:59:04

, around 1/3 throttle which jet would be affecting it to be on the lean side?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I can only tell you that mine was quite lean (choke test) surging badly at what I described as 1/8 to 1/4 throttle,.......about 20-30 in 2nd or 3rd gear, and the 1/2 white spacer mod fixed it beyond my best expectation. I agree,.....it wasn't all skill,....maybe I got lucky too.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:12:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel mixture

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.