Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking about buying a Savage... (Read 106 times)
Philip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thinking about buying a Savage...
04/13/11 at 23:09:18

Hey folks,

Trying to do some research and stumbled on this website.. Great resource. I have been looking at the Savage and the S40 and have really liked what I have seen and read. I test drove one today and was impressed by the handling and style of the bike. My budget is around 2k and I want a bike that I wont have a lot of problems with. I drove nearly two hours today to look at a 2001 Savage but ended up walking away from it. It had clearly been dropped and it had a really hard time going into first gear, it also appeared to have little to no life left on the breaks and the engine was making some sounds that seemed out of place.

But my question is now, what should be considered a major problem vs a minor one? How many miles do you typically get out of a set of break pads? What about miles for most standard tires? Is it that big of a problem having issues shifting into first gear? Is it normal for it to have a slight sputter at steady acceleration or is this just a sign that its not warmed up all the way? Any common failures or problems for the Savage/S40?

Thanks for the time!

Philip

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Thinking about buying a Savage...
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 23:39:14

WWW   IP Logged
Philip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/13/11 at 23:54:44

Thanks for referencing those posts.

I have been looking at this bike... http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/2268016430.html

The seller seems to be very knowledgeable about the maintenance and said that its been kept in his barn under a sheet when not ridden. Its also a two hour drive and he said that $2400 would be his bottom dollar... Does this seem like a decent deal for this bike considering its milage and if its really in as good of shape as he is saying?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/14/11 at 01:58:10

Seems plenty reasonable to me. You get a bike with so few miles for abut 1/2 price? Its  nice lookin thing,, & youll have plenty of ride time to learn about how to do the little stuff before its time for a cam chain,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 04/14/11 at 06:11:52

Looks like a reasonable deal.   The tires are on their 6th year, so you or someone who knows tires (ifn you don't) check for dryrot etc-( tread wear should be fine)....and you should be good to go.

IP Logged
Philip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/15/11 at 21:23:27

I ended up buying the bike and I am very happy with it. Its in extremely good shape, looks like it was never used. I can find one minor blemish on the front finder and thats it. It does backfire from time to time when I speed up and let off the gas. Is this normal? Could it simply be due to the fact that the bike has been sitting for two years and hardly ever ridden?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/15/11 at 21:43:29

We got you now, congrats on the key to a new adventure.

Philip wrote on 04/15/11 at 21:23:27:
It does backfire from time to time when I speed up and let off the gas. Is this normal? Could it simply be due to the fact that the bike has been sitting for two years and hardly ever ridden?

Possibly, an ounce of seafoam in the gas tank will help clean out the carb.

Check the header bolts and muffler clamp, air leaks usually cause the shift pop.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 04/15/11 at 22:34:12

Philip wrote on 04/15/11 at 21:23:27:
It does backfire from time to time when I speed up and let off the gas. Is this normal?

It is normally the nature of the beast to backfire on decelleration, and also a perdy good "Poofh" at shutdown. If mine didn't I'd know there was something wrong w/ it. Many here try to minimize it by adjusting the idle mixture screw on the carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about buying a Savage...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.