Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pricing for head gasket and stuff (Read 144 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Pricing for head gasket and stuff
04/13/11 at 13:44:44

OK. I am considering taking the bike to the dealer and I got some prices for some work. Do these sound reasonable? I don't want to try doing the head gasket myself--lack of knowledge and tools. Here's what he told me:
Head Gasket--approx. 4 hours @ $60 per hr. ($240.)
Remove frozen mixture screw--@ $60 per hr. (1-2 hrs.)
Front tire--Dunlop 404--$81 plus $40 to mount ($121.)
Rear tire--Dunlop 404--$107 plus $40 to mount ($147.)
And possible new handlebars--about $50. plus install.
Any thoughts?

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Pricing for head gasket and stuff
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 16:20:13

my thought would be if your going to shell out all that money to a stealership, by you some tools and a clymers manual and save an assload of money doin it yourself. these bikes are really not that hard to work on.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 04/14/11 at 07:37:15

About the only advantage of having the dealer do it is that you have someone besides yourself to yell at if it's done wrong.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/14/11 at 08:20:56

& th number of catastrophic failures caused By "professional mechanics" is greater than what board members have done to themselves. How many oil filters have we seen installed bakkerds at th dealership?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/14/11 at 08:44:58

And one those small bikes you'll get the entry level guy who has to read from the Clymer anyway.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 04/14/11 at 14:58:12

MotoBuddha wrote on 04/14/11 at 07:37:15:
About the only advantage of having the dealer do it is that you have someone besides yourself to yell at if it's done wrong.

That is what a person I bought a bike from thought.  It didn't run...  The cams were backwards. (So far...  I still am working on it)

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/15/11 at 05:40:15

Well, I have the Clymers on the computer and could print out the necessary pages. I still don't have all the tools that would be needed. I was talking to the mechanic at the dealer--he's an older guy who rides himself, and seemed to know what he was talking about. He mentioned right away the cap plug by the exhaust needing to be sealed right. He has worked on savages before. I think I'll just end up taking it there, and getting the tires done at the same time. Also get the carb fixed and new handlebars and grips. Then the thing will be done a lot sooner, ready to ride, instead of sitting in my garage in a million pieces for 1/2 the summer. I have a chunk of money coming soon, so cost is not a factor at this point. I just want to ride......

<<< WOW, looky here. I just now noticed that I'm finally a senior member. WoOHOo !!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/15/11 at 07:12:41

drums1 wrote on 04/15/11 at 05:40:15:
Well, I have the Clymers on the computer and could print out the necessary pages. I still don't have all the tools that would be needed. I was talking to the mechanic at the dealer--he's an older guy who rides himself, and seemed to know what he was talking about. He mentioned right away the cap plug by the exhaust needing to be sealed right. He has worked on savages before. I think I'll just end up taking it there, and getting the tires done at the same time. Also get the carb fixed and new handlebars and grips. Then the thing will be done a lot sooner, ready to ride, instead of sitting in my garage in a million pieces for 1/2 the summer. I have a chunk of money coming soon, so cost is not a factor at this point. I just want to ride......

<<< WOW, looky here. I just now noticed that I'm finally a senior member. WoOHOo !!!

3Sounds like he just mite be the guy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 04/15/11 at 12:25:50

I'd defintely pay to have tires done, and don't blame you on the head gasket either.  But handlebars?  Surely you could tackle them.   Wink

Congrats Mr. Senior Member.   Cool

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 04/15/11 at 13:26:09

Ya, I'll probably do the bars and grips myself. I just hope all the cables and wires reach--I just put on 3" risers this winter and they're all at about the limit now. The bars I want to get are about the same, height wise, but a little more spread out at the grips. Not so tight and close like the OE ones.

And I still need to get ahold of EdL, for those coveted forward controls.
Then, I'll be stylin'.

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pricing for head gasket and stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.