Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
new menber bobber build (Read 1019 times)
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
new menber bobber build
04/12/11 at 20:44:22

first of all im new here and i have to say there is some great info on here i like it. also i posted this post in the wrong place sorry got it right now lol

my question is i bought a stock 1986 savage. i am going to make a bobber out of it. but i have a question on ape hangers. i am wanting to order the bar soon but i really don't know what size i should go with. i have also not really found where i can get longer cables for it. i have not started my project yet but i have ordered alot of the parts i am going to be using on it. i have made the pan for my seat just have to cover it. i have made like 3 diff pairs of foward controlls for it just have to pick out the ones i like the best. i have also made my struts for it going to put them on this week hopfully.
  i am also looking for ideas on the rear fender what i should use or what other people have used.
  im the type i like to make everything that i can i have a plasma table and every welder and torch i need.  (at my work)

any help will be greatly appreciated
i will post pics of my progress as i go ohh this will be my first bike as well. well legal one lol

« Last Edit: 04/28/11 at 00:25:18 by dystormy79a »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Savage cable extensions for ape hangers
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 04:36:52

dystormy79a wrote on 04/12/11 at 20:44:22:
first of all im new here and i have to say there is some great info on here i like it. also i posted this post in the wrong place sorry got it right now lol

my question is i bought a stock 1986 savage. i am going to make a bobber out of it. but i have a question on ape hangers. i am wanting to order the bar soon but i really don't know what size i should go with. i have also not really found where i can get longer cables for it. i have not started my project yet but i have ordered alot of the parts i am going to be using on it. i have made the pan for my seat just have to cover it. i have made like 3 diff pairs of foward controlls for it just have to pick out the ones i like the best. i have also made my struts for it going to put them on this week hopfully.
  i am also looking for ideas on the rear fender what i should use or what other people have used.
  im the type i like to make everything that i can i have a plasma table and every welder and torch i need.  (at my work)

any help will be greatly appreciated
i will post pics of my progress as i go ohh this will be my first bike as well. well legal one lol

send me a pm and I will give you the info on getting longer throttle and clutch cables and brake lines to match your needs.  They are special order and will cost you a few extra bucks but are excellent quality from Barnett.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 04/13/11 at 04:44:42

You can also get them from MotionPro.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/custom/

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #3 - 04/14/11 at 15:15:31

As for fenders, if you have a motorcycle wrecker or salvage yard nearby, try looking at the front fenders off some of the older Japanese bikes, preferably of larger displacement.  The bigger old bikes had some pretty fat front tires, so the fenders fit well on the back of smaller bikes with a little work.  You'll have to fab up some struts, or buy a raw strut kit, as they're gonna need some support.  I hooked mine off the lower shock bolts and bolted it to the swingarm, so it'll move with the suspension while still hugging the tire pretty close.  Lowbrow Customs sell a pretty sweet fender strut kit if you wanna go that route.

I picked up 2 front fenders off the old Yamaha Magna's for 30 bux and they fit nicely after some elbow grease.  They're off at blasting right now, but I'll try to post some pics when I get 'em back.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #4 - 04/15/11 at 00:43:16

thanks for the info i was talking to a guy yesterday about my ideas and he told me to go look at northern tool at thier trailer fenders. i looked them up on the net and seen one i think im going to get. plus its like 13.00  Smiley i think it will work great at least i hope so.

IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #5 - 04/15/11 at 00:49:12

well i made my seat pan when i had some down time at work. i made it out of 1/8" stainless. and to my suprise i ordered some seat springs and i got them in the mail 2 days later.  Smiley so i hope to get the seat covered this weekend and maybe ill get to cut the old rear fender/seat mounts off and fab sdomenew ones to get my solo spring seat on there. i also made some temporary struts to see how i am going to like having no shocks. not to bad but im sure i will get better when i get my new seat on. hopfully ill get to post pic's soon Smiley

IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Re: new member bobber build
Reply #6 - 04/28/11 at 00:24:34

i got my tail light and blinkers in the mail the other day. went to northern tool and bought a trailer fender. getting closer to tearing my bike down. needing ideas on how to cut the tins im not real sure how i want them. i like the old school look. i have designed my sissy bar its going to be around 20 to 24" tall. cant wait. getting excited on the rebuild.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: new menber bobber build
Reply #7 - 04/28/11 at 02:16:37

Sounds like the kinda project that otta have a few pics posted,, dont it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #8 - 05/10/11 at 23:54:48

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my bike.
here is my stock as i got it bike. and yes that is a 2" copper exaust pipe lol oh did i mention i got it for 600.00  Smiley

IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #9 - 05/11/11 at 00:22:57

first mod was the seat spacer made it alot more comfortable ride. as you can see in the background i have a plasma table and can cut anything anyone needs  Smiley (for a small fee of course)

And i got the idea to make a spring seat for it. used 1/8" stainless

Punched 1/8" holes to attach the leather with pop rivets.

sorry for the quality i still have a pos cell phone

Blue sleeping pad from wallyworld

Carpet padding for a little more comfort. don't know if im going to keep it this way or do something diff.

My lights and fender

The tail light has my rear signals and break lights together.

one of the sissy bars i have made trying diff looks. of course its not done here. i can make them if any one is interested. i can make pretty much any look you like.

this will be the one i will be using on mine.

Break light mounting plate. i don't know if im going to leave it this way or change it. guess ill try it and see.

And the begining of the transformation.

And the basic mock up of what it will look like. i have made some temp struts to see how low i can take it. i will be making some diff ones a little diff with some cuts and designs in them. i also can make these or some of pretty much any design you can come up with. just need how much drop you want (if any) and the design.

I will be cutting the seat/fender tabs off and making new a mount for my spring seat.

Thats pretty much as far as i have got so far. will be working on it all weekend. i don't like not having it to ride lol

IP Logged
danDmen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/11/11 at 07:37:02

hey men that is my bike ....ok ...ok maybe not ...but i have the same color 1986 savage the one whit the buckhorn handle-bars i buy the 10' z bars and i did not have to change any cables ...and they look and fell very very good  ....and i change the muffler for a strait pipe ...and men what a difference.....your savage is looking very good ...that is a nice seat you made for it .....please made this treat as detailed as possible ...i will be following very close how your new handle bars and back fender are going

have a very nice day .....and good luck whit you savage ....SmileySmiley

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 05/11/11 at 10:21:04

Hmm, how much would it cost for a custom sissy bar that isn't super intricate?

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
NameNotInUse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/11/11 at 11:54:35

Wow that is looking great. I love the tail light and your sissy bar is awesome. Great work.

IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #13 - 05/11/11 at 13:39:17

kevinphan wrote on 05/11/11 at 10:21:04:
Hmm, how much would it cost for a custom sissy bar that isn't super intricate?

prob like 50.00 plus shipping.

IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #14 - 05/11/11 at 14:05:07

danDmen wrote on 05/11/11 at 07:37:02:
i buy the 10' z bars and i did not have to change any cables ...and they look and fell very very good

what is the 10' z bars? do you have a pic?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:33:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new menber bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.