Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Brake Issue - First Post (Read 127 times)
MatthewGDempsey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front Brake Issue - First Post
04/11/11 at 21:36:06

I hate for my first post to be a negative one, but I've got a problem. I was doing a routine brake pad replacement on my '95 Savage, and ran into some snags.

I couldn't push the piston in, so the brake pads wouldn't fit. I ended up taking the piston out of the front caliper - mistake. I dumped all of the brake fluid, filling the lines with air.

Now, i can't get the piston out, and worse, i have 0 pressure when i squeeze the front brake. I've taken apart and cleaned the caliper and master piston, but there has been no change. I tried to bleed the line, but after about 2 hours of pumping the brake for only a few drops of fluid to come out, I gave up.

Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas? The master piston LOOKED fine, but i really think the problem is there. It doesn't seem to be pushing a large enough amount of fluid through the system.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Brake Issue - First Post
Reply #1 - 04/11/11 at 22:28:48

Not usual, once air gets in there you have to do some unusual things to get it out.

1st bleed the master, remove the banjo bolt and squeeze the lever and release with your finger sealing the hole, keep going till it's full.
2nd put the line on so it goes up, seal the end with your fingers and do like before.
last, hook it up to the caliper (reroute the top to point down, keep the end pinched closed as much as possible) use your finger on the bleeder and do just like before.

final bleed, hook up a tube to the bleeder and route into a jar with the tube all the way to the bottom so when it starts to fill up no air can get in. squeeze the lever, open and close the bleeder. release the lever and repeat.

now, there's a much harder way to do this, but not sure it will work.
leave everything all hooked up, with a tube on the bleeder, bleeder open, fill the master and go get a beer.  Come back and fill the master.  Keep it full till it don't bubble no mo

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/12/11 at 03:03:31

Once there is air in the bottom of the master cylinder it seems to make  little bubble that sits Riight There,, where the fluid is Supposed to go Down into the part that creates the pressure that moves the piston & clamps the brakes, making manually bleeding the brakes by squeezing the brake till it bubble free a serious pain in the neck.  Maybe vibration would help, IDK, Ive never tried it, I use vacuum on the bleeder. I did manage to slightly pressurize the master cylinder once, but the gizmology required was  big hassle,,

Open the valve & get a beer, see how that goes, if it doesnt work out, you can always try the easy stuff previously mentioned..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 04/12/11 at 07:30:48

How did you try to push the piston in the first time?

And I'm confused, you said, "I ended up taking the piston out of the front caliper," but then you said, "Now, i can't get the piston out." Did you mean you can't get it back in? Or do you mean you got it back in but now it won't pump back out to the normal position because there's no line pressure?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MatthewGDempsey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/12/11 at 09:52:01

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I first tried pushing the piston in with my hands. That didn't work, so i pumped the brake until i could pull the piston out. Once it was out, all of the brake fluid dumped out which removed any pressure from the system, so I was able to just push the piston fully in. Now that it's back in and there is no pressure in the system, i can't get it out.

We did consider trying to fill the banjo and everything else with fluid, but couldn't figure out how we would do that. I guess i'll try to just open the valve and wait.

Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/12/11 at 10:17:08

If all else fails, go buy a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight.

WWW   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 04/12/11 at 11:39:02

Sound to me like something in the caliper or lines may be plugged.  When functioning properly, you can bleed them with just gravity.  If you pull the line off the bottom, does it flow well?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/12/11 at 12:12:42

Agree with gravity & beer theory 100% . However dry it may be, fluid will fill *almost* all available space in the system, with caliper bleeder open AND master cylinder lid off.
My 5 cents: You already got the piston out by pumping the brake? Good - it seems there's no blockage then. Fill up the master (leave top open), unscrew the bleeder on the caliper and give it about an hour (beer).
Post then, we'll go from there.

IP Logged
MatthewGDempsey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/12/11 at 19:30:55

3 hours, 6 beers, meticulous monitoring and refilling of brake fluid, and our good friend Mr. Gravity have given me front brakes (and all of your advice of course).

I have no idea why i wasn't able to build up any pressure last night, but all seems well now.

Thanks again everyone!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/13/11 at 01:14:28

Hahahaha, 3hrs and 6 beers!! Welcome to the crowd, MatG. You'll blend right in!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 03:58:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Issue - First Post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.