Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures! (Read 1816 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures!
Reply #15 - 04/14/11 at 02:02:07

Pretty rare event,, head gasket leaks are what most folks think they have when its the plug. yea,, snug it up & hope. Pulling the head isnt fun, but its not exactly a technically difficult thing,, a manual & an organized approach, the cost of tools will save enough $$ in labor at the shop to pay the mechanic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #16 - 05/11/11 at 09:46:39

Got the call from my mechanic who is almost done the head gasket change / oil plug  (I let him do it since I was paying him anyway) and I will keep you posted Re: the head gasket in the next few days... I expect no more leaking oil and thus, can start doing my mods! Cheesy

Cheers all,

Ian

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #17 - 05/16/11 at 10:31:25

Hello guys,

Since i have a kind of the same problem, with oil on my cylinder, i want to know how do we realize if it is just the plug cap seal or head gasket or if it is both? Actually as i remember with my previous motor i had problems in ignition or idle position when it was about the gasket.

Thanks and soon i will post my photos and questions

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #18 - 05/16/11 at 19:00:35

After taking out the head gasket, it was clearly broken and needed replacing. Will be getting back the bike on Thurs/Fri and will let ya know how it feels to get back on the pony!

Thanks all,

Ian

IP Logged
wesley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #19 - 05/19/11 at 09:15:45

Morgii wrote on 05/16/11 at 19:00:35:
After taking out the head gasket, it was clearly broken and needed replacing. Will be getting back the bike on Thurs/Fri and will let ya know how it feels to get back on the pony!

Thanks all,

Ian

Could you tell me how much it cost you? I might need to take mine to a shop as well

Thanks

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #20 - 05/19/11 at 09:42:47

wesley wrote on 05/19/11 at 09:15:45:
Morgii wrote on 05/16/11 at 19:00:35:

Thanks all,

Ian

Could you tell me how much it cost you? I might need to take mine to a shop as well

Thanks

Hey I went and bought the parts from the Suzuki dealership (I bought the whole gasket set though for 125 plus the oil plug for 12 total was 150).  If you ONLY want the head gasket it's like 35 bucks. He quoted me at 320 for the labour so the total will be around 500 (this is a backyard licensed motorcycle/big rig mechanic and not a motorcycle shop... the shop wanted 250 for parts and 1000 for labour!)

I'm going to get it today or tomorrow and will let you know how it went... I've spoked to him multiple times and progress went well so I'm not worried.  At first he couldn't find a problem with the original gasket which made me worry, but after closer inspection there was an obvious chuck missing (compared to the new one).

Will keep you up to date when I know more.

Cheers,

Ian (Morgii)

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #21 - 05/19/11 at 15:19:52

Where are you guys that it's so expensive? Mine is in right now getting the head gasket done. He told me $250. labor and parts. Total around $300. Thats at the dealer/repair shop.

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #22 - 05/20/11 at 07:19:08

Hey guys,
i cannot believe that i read these prices... this is a price for a new engine in other countries.

Greetz
Highlander

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #23 - 05/20/11 at 11:37:03

highlander10 wrote on 05/20/11 at 07:19:08:
Hey guys,
i cannot believe that i read these prices... this is a price for a new engine in other countries.

Greetz
Highlander

I know man... Canadian mechanics appear to be (from my perspective anyway with all my previous bikes AND cars) weasels... hence I do what I can, but when I don't have the time, I gots to spend the money.  :'(

Ian (Morgii)

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #24 - 05/24/11 at 11:40:42

Fixed. Not more oil Cheesy

Ian (Morgii)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 05/31/11 at 06:49:35

He's happy, his bike is running again and it isn't leaking oil.

His mechanic is happy
, everybody is happy.

..... although I would like to see the triple layered spring steel sheets bonded with rubber and staked together composite head gasket that "broke" -- heck, pliers couldn't break that gasket in its thinnest section without some real serious effort being applied.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #26 - 05/31/11 at 07:12:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/31/11 at 06:49:35:

His mechanic is happy
, everybody is happy.

..... although I would like to see the triple layered spring steel sheets bonded with rubber and staked together composite head gasket that "broke" -- heck, pliers couldn't break that gasket in its thinnest section without some real serious effort being applied.

Don't be hating "Oldfeller" that I used a mechanic. Why you gotta bust balls? I figured a Moderator wouldn't do such a thing...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #27 - 05/31/11 at 09:25:17

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/31/11 at 06:49:35:

His mechanic is happy
, everybody is happy.

I'll send you a pic of mine. BurnPGH and I tore into my engine the other weekend only to discover that gasket was basically burned through (discolored, pitted... nasty). so, while it might not be common, it does happen.

speaking of which, that friggin dealer hasn't called me with those replacement gaskets (got a cylinder base one too) yet. it has been too long without a ride...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:53:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.