Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures! (Read 1816 times)
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures!
04/11/11 at 13:46:29

Hi all,

this is my first post and I WAS going to ask about handlebar modification, however, after bringing my Savage to the mechanic for a spring tune up, it appears he wants to charge me over $1000 for an oil leak which he thinks is the head gasket.

After doing some searching on the forum, I found it might be the oil plug.... *sigh* SO, my issue is I have little mechanical skills. I can fix your computer, iPhone, Xbox 360, take it apart and put it together with my eyes closed. Electronics are easy and I have the tools but engines I can't seem to wrap my head around them.

I'm only riding for another season or two before I sell this bike and move (probably buy a bigger bike as my father always said "there's no replacement for displacement") and I would prefer to have my shoes and pants oil free so my room mate and I are going to tackle this (I think) because I don't really have the money to be throwing any mechanic a grand to fix a problem which may be solved for 4-5 hours and a couple hundred bucks.

Now, I have to go get the bike from the shop so I will post a picture or two of the oil leak and to let ya'll see where it's leaking and / or if you can help identify the problem ( and maybe help with the solution ) that would be fantastic.

Last question: Should it be leaking with only 14K on the bike?? My last two wheeler had a little less but didn't leak.

Finally, I'm also near/around Toronto, ON, Canada so if anybody is willing to meet up, I will buy many beers and pizza for help! Cheesy

Thanks everyone,

Ian

« Last Edit: 04/13/11 at 15:40:43 by Morgii »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: 99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking
Reply #1 - 04/11/11 at 15:06:21

You can do it - it's really not very hard - just read it all doc in the tech section post - be sure and printout the template for the bolts -

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/11/11 at 16:09:12

It really amazes me how expensive, rude, and often technically incompetent dealers are.  Learn to work on your bike and you will NEVER regret it.  It will save you loads of money, both now, and when you buy the next one.  Other than the Savage I just bought Aida, I have not bought a running bike in 20 years.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/11/11 at 18:41:47

If it's the dreaded head plug leak, all the dealers don't put rtv on it when they install it.  so after a few thousand miles it leaks.
The head gasket will leak if you don't keep up on the head bolt torques.
And the head cover will leak from time to time.

Not a hard job, a little difficult getting the cover off and on.  Try it dry a few times to get the hang of it, then do it for real.

Also, buy a bolt kit cause you're bound to twist off a few.  Or just allow time to go buy some.

WWW   IP Logged
Russ130

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/11 at 19:40:52

It isn't gonna cost you anywhere near a couple hundred bucks to do it yourself. You can fix that for the price of a new seal and a tube of RTV and nothing more. Definately print out the bolt template and tape it to a piece of cardboard so you can push the bolts through the cardboard according to where they go. Goodluck and have fun.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/11/11 at 20:57:28

He thinks its the head gasket,, PIFFLE,, Balderdash,,, Horse Apples..
AAAAAND Poppycock!

Id bet a dollar he knows its the plug & is just wanting to charge for the big job, to fix the little problem..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #6 - 04/12/11 at 07:04:40

wow! Thanks for all the replies in less than 24hours! My last forum (for a different bike) was not nearly as fast nor as helpful... may have to consider staying with the Savage after all  Cheesy

As for the fix, I've looked through the whole thread for the oil plug leak fix and have sort of pieced together what to do, but is there an actual document (Clymers, word doc by members, etc) that may also help? I'm completely new to the whole fixing motorcycle engines.... although I have had to get greasy with my old 1972 superbeetle before so I'm not afraid of taking things apart... .it's putting them back together that gets me! Grin

Many thanks and will keep you posted.

Ian

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #7 - 04/12/11 at 11:30:34

Dude...  If you can get those pushrod tubes to line up and not leak, you can do anything in this bike!  Really!

Oh...  They still leaked for you to, huh?  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #8 - 04/12/11 at 13:09:45

Where can I get the plug and bolt kits? Just go to a Suzuki dealership and ask for 'em?....

Thanks over and over and over!

Ian

NB: The Beetle was been much more stubborn that the Savage... unfortunately I sold it last year  Embarrassed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/12/11 at 13:25:33

Any OEM supplier will have the plug and individual bolts.
There's a guy on fleabay that has the entire bolt kit for the savage in stainless for about $35.

WWW   IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #10 - 04/13/11 at 15:40:23

Here's a couple pictures... let me know if you guys still think it may be the oil plug... I'm having doubts myself now Sad

Thanks!!

Ian

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures!
Reply #11 - 04/13/11 at 16:25:31

Looks like head gasket leak to me.
Tighten up the nuts fore and aft and hope for the best.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 04/13/11 at 19:09:19

+1 on the head gasket. I would pressure wash it real good after you tighten those nuts, and then get to riding a few miles at a time, then stop and check. Take a flash light, even in the daytime. Between the fins it still is kinda dark. That's the only way to find the leak.

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #13 - 04/13/11 at 19:25:10

Yeah, once I saw how much oil it was and where it exactly was, I thought it was the gasket too...

I found a MMI graduate from Phoenix who said he would put a new gasket on for $150 plus parts... Sounds better than the $1200 the mechanic quoted me! Go for it or just tighten and hope for the best?

Cheers,

Ian

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/13/11 at 19:29:25

well, it's never going to stop by itself.

key points to remember, rtv the head plug and get a bolt set.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 99 Savage 14K Oil Leaking - Now With Pictures!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.