Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock License Bracket Relocation (Read 386 times)
Bubbasan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Champaign, Il
Stock License Bracket Relocation
04/10/11 at 19:39:30

WARNING: As mentioned in 2 posts below this may have a problem with the plate hitting the tire and damaging the license, etc.  With my longer shocks I think I am safe but this may be a problem with stock shocks.

I went looking for an option to the license, light, reflector and that long line of stuff hanging directly off the end of the fender.  In the process I discovered that the front bolt holes for the tail light line up exactly with the rear holes on the license bracket.

1.  In order for the frame to fit up under in the fender I had to cut the ends off the license frame to 6 3/4" and folded the sides of the plate back to fit.  I used both existing rubber bushings, the one from the tail light and the one on the bracket.  I bought 1" bushings, longer bolts, and large washers.

I bought a Radiantz I3 3.8" LED license plate light and mounted it below the reflector.  I tapped 1/4-20 holes for mounting the plate.

I have 12.5" shocks and it worked fine, plenty of clearance.  Not sure if it works with stock shocks but I think it might.

I'm much happier with the look of this than the long hangy thing right off the end of the fender.

« Last Edit: 12/04/12 at 11:05:45 by Serowbot »  
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stock License Bracket Relocation
Reply #1 - 04/12/11 at 21:33:56

I like the look but I have a question.
How much clearance does this leave between the wheel and the bracket?

IP Logged
Bubbasan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Champaign, Il
Reply #2 - 04/13/11 at 10:27:58

Here is a picture from the side.  It goes down a bit when I sit on it and remember I have 12.5" shocks.  At least the plate is kind of at the tire angle.  I'm not sure what the clearance would be with stock shocks but it may be fine.  I figured even after cutting the ends off the bracket that the plate would still screw back on the bracket and I could put it back in it's original location if it didn't work.

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 12:14:18 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Reply #3 - 04/13/11 at 17:22:29

Not saying this is a bad idea, but I used to have a setup pretty darn close to this. Looked good and was fine for a few days... Then I hit a pretty large pothole. Not sure if it was the magnitude of the pothole or what, but that license plate got sucked back and over the tire.  Grin Wore a hole straight through the thing! Didn't know it till I got home. Needless to say its been relocated since.

A word to the weary- Just make for certain you have enough clearance! New plates and registration are expensive

IP Logged
Bubbasan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Champaign, Il
Reply #4 - 04/13/11 at 19:06:57

Good warning MulletViper.  I can see that what you said would be right.   After I read your post I went out, laid down on the seats backwards, bounced and pulled as hard as I could on the swing arms.  I could get the plate to about 1/2" from the tire.  I imagine if they were stock shocks I could get the plate to hit the tire.  

I will put a warning in the original post.  Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/18/24 at 22:51:47

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Stock License Bracket Relocation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.