Dear Prudence (Read 172 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Dear Prudence
04/10/11 at 05:04:34

After a couple of close calls in the car, I am getting kind of paranoid about deer collisions. Other than not riding at night, what can I do to avoid them? Do those whistle thingies work? I already have a loud exhaust.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Dear Prudence
Reply #1 - 04/10/11 at 06:42:04

I live in hilly Deer country w/ hardly a straight road anywhere. Like you, after too many close calls, I won't ride at nite anymore. And I've learned to just slow down. I have come around many a curve to find Deer standing in the roadway. At first I thought about quit riding, but now that I've accepted riding at slower speeds, and learned to pay attention at all times, I don't worry about it so much anymore.
A friend thinks the deer whistles work, but only because he hasn't hit a Deer in 3 yrs after near totaling his 2 week old truck.

Good luck Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 04/10/11 at 06:52:38

Deer whistles can work...  It depends on ambient noise in the area, and the speed you are going.  Just drive slower at night.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 04/10/11 at 07:10:03

If you are riding in an area your
familar with, you should have a
good idea, where the deer are.
They tend to frequent the same
areas. I agree with the others,
ride slower, be more alert.
Hubby almost had a deer few
weeks ago in his lap. Had he
not been paying attention as
well as had knowledge of this
area being populated by deer,
he may not have made it home
that evening. It was that close.
I don't know if the whistles work, I
used to have them on a truck I had
years ago and seemed to help. Give
it a try and then you can let us know.
Take care, ride safe, Smiley kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/10/11 at 09:56:17

Ive repaired a damaged car that was bent up by a deer. I pulled one of those whistle thingees off,, the deer got the other one.. That said,, I dont think a deer is gonna hear that whistle over the exhaust..maybe they do help but I wouldn't trust my life to it. If you use them, ride as if you dont have them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/10/11 at 10:01:13

x2  Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #6 - 04/10/11 at 10:43:41

If you think deer are fun, I lived for 31 years in Flagstaff, Az, the largest Ponderosa pine forest in the US, and we had Elk, and lots of them.  Almost everyone I knew had hit one.  I guess that I was lucky, and slowed down and paid attention.  I saw a lot of them on  the road, sometimes 50-100 of them at a time, but I never hit one. I am thankful, because God they are beautiful creatures.

So, like a lot of others have said, know the times when they are likely to be out, slow down, ride toward the center line, and pay attention.

Oh yes, I did come close to hitting a deer on the road to Patagonia, but mostly because I was paying too much attention to the scenery.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 04/10/11 at 11:15:24

I personally don't think those deer whistles work. Put them on an 87 Dodge Diplomat years ago and my mother who is a very careful driver and had never hit a deer before in her life ended up hitting three of them in as many weeks after we put those things on. So in my opinion, don't waist the money.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/10/11 at 12:09:55

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/10/11 at 11:15:24:
I personally don't think those deer whistles work. Put them on an 87 Dodge Diplomat years ago and my mother who is a very careful driver and had never hit a deer before in her life ended up hitting three of them in as many weeks after we put those things on. So in my opinion, don't waist the money.

Should sell them to hunters.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 04/10/11 at 16:47:34

arteacher wrote on 04/10/11 at 05:04:34:
After a couple of close calls in the car, I am getting kind of paranoid about deer collisions. Other than not riding at night, what can I do to avoid them? Do those whistle thingies work? I already have a loud exhaust.

How about the kuryakyn one?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 04/10/11 at 17:56:10

When you go hunting for deer just take one of those whistles and blow on it and the deer will come running to you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
saltwaterjoy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/11/11 at 06:32:40

My Dad told me a story about how he hit a horse one night on his Kawasaki back in the early seventies. He had been riding home one night, (my dad, not the horse), and as he was coming down this dark, lonely stretch of roadway, this full size horse was just standing in the middle of the road. (As horses tend to do?  Huh) Apparently it had broken through the fence of it's roadside paddock and was fully enjoying it's evening of freedom. Thankfully, my Dad had just enough time to react and was able to swerve enough to avoid t-boning the animal and instead clipped it in the neck with his handle bars. Obviously, he went down, (again, my dad, not the horse) but managed to walk away with only a few scrapes and I dare say, full underwear! The police arrived and after checking my dad out, asked if he was okay to drive home. My dad looked at his bike and saw that although the front wheel was straight, the handle bars had been twisted around 90 degrees and were running parallel with the length of the bike! My dad turned to the cop and said, "I don't think so." The horse had bolted after getting hit and was never seen again. Ahhh, life on Prince Edward Island! If you're not dodging loose potatoes and farm machinery, you're dodging livestock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:38:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dear Prudence

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.