Send Topic Print
New old savage (Read 1102 times)
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New old savage
Reply #15 - 04/13/11 at 12:50:04

This is an aweome thread.  Thanks mcentric!  This is just what I needed, just in the knick of time!

IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/13/11 at 12:54:57

So, how is the bike running now?   Still ticking??  I'm curious to see how much the mod helped!!  I think I'm in the same boat...

IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #17 - 04/13/11 at 13:05:34

Your welcome Smiley glad you found it useful.

I haven't had time to assemble the clutch cover yet, so I don't how much it has helped. But before I made this mod I adjusted the valves, and that helped a little, so I'm hoping the remaining rattle/ticking was from the cam chain.

I'll be back with the results as soon as I know Smiley

Mikael

bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 04/13/11 at 12:50:04:
This is an aweome thread.  Thanks mcentric!  This is just what I needed, just in the knick of time!

bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 04/13/11 at 12:54:57:
So, how is the bike running now?   Still ticking??  I'm curious to see how much the mod helped!!  I think I'm in the same boat...

"Hey! It's that guy you are!"
-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #18 - 04/15/11 at 01:43:18

I got everything put back together today and rode to work. Everything ran great and I BELIEVE the rattle has decreased, but I might just be getting paranoid, because I can still hear it Sad

It's not really supposed to disappear completely right? It's in a thumpers nature to have some mechanical noise in addition to combustion noises....?

@ verslagen1: I did as you suggested and felt for vibrations on the case by the oilfilter cover, and I can feel anything suspicious now. I feel most of the noise is coming from the head/rockers/valves. The rocker tappets are adjusted to 0.1mm, so I don't think they are causing more racket than they should. Could cam wear be something to look at?

I haven't gotten around to doing the compression test, but I would be surprised if I found anything detrimental. The bike appears to be running solidly.

any views?

Maybe I should just relax and start enjoying the bike  Grin

cheers

Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #19 - 04/17/11 at 12:03:54

Anyone have an opinion on my previous post?

Another couple of issues have arisen:

1. There is some racking in the rear end. I am quite certain that there is play in both the wheel bearing and the swing arm pivot bearing. It is actually quite noticeable when riding as the rear end feels loose when cornering. Are there any issues I should be aware of when changing these bearings, or is it pretty straight forward?

2. As the bellow pictures show, I have an oil leak! It doesn't appear to be catastrophic, but I think I should do something about it pretty soon. Is this a classic case of busted head gasket? I still haven't gotten around to doing a compression test yet, but I'm now guessing the result won't be favorable.

All opinions appreciated Smiley

Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 04/17/11 at 12:27:05

Looks to me that you have a head gasket leak.
You can retorque the head bolts, but now that it's started won't go away completely.

What kind of noise is it? Knock knock... or tick tick... or whir?

compression test... getrdone, will help in diagnosing noises.

WWW   IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #21 - 04/17/11 at 12:46:47

The first thing I bought after the bike was a complete gasket kit, so I might as well just change the head gasket. I re-used the clutch cover gasket after the cam chain tensioner mod, but I see that is sweating a bit now, so that'll be changed as well.

I'd say it mostly a ticking sound with a slight whir.... basically it just sounds like the rocker/valves and the cam chain. I think it might just be my inexperience with air-cooled singles that's making me think it's louder than it should be.

There was an improvement after I did your cam chain tensioner mod, so maybe I should just accept the mechanical noise that's there now as a baseline.

Compression test tomorrow it is then Smiley

How about the bearings? easy fix?

Mikael

verslagen1 wrote on 04/17/11 at 12:27:05:
Looks to me that you have a head gasket leak.
You can retorque the head bolts, but now that it's started won't go away completely.

What kind of noise is it? Knock knock... or tick tick... or whir?

compression test... getrdone, will help in diagnosing noises.

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 04/17/11 at 12:54:48

a slight whir should be normal, just as ticking is.

Stock muffler?   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #23 - 04/17/11 at 13:13:43

verslagen1 wrote on 04/17/11 at 12:54:48:
Stock muffler?   Roll Eyes

Absolutely not  Smiley
http://youtu.be/gqtotRgn67k?hd=1

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 04/17/11 at 16:38:06

Is it colder than a witches... err... hmmm... big toe there or is it smoking?

(compression test)

WWW   IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #25 - 04/17/11 at 22:17:07

Both actually Smiley It was about -5C (23F) when the video was shot, but it does smoke a bit at start-up. The head gasket is definitely being changed.

Mikael

verslagen1 wrote on 04/17/11 at 16:38:06:
Is it colder than a witches... err... hmmm... big toe there or is it smoking?

(compression test)

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #26 - 04/19/11 at 10:49:06

New day, old issues...

I am a bit further along in making my savage all better though:

1. I finally got around to doing the compression test... it was bad. I was consistently getting a result of 100-105PSI! It took some time from when I shut it off until I took the tank off, so it was more like hot to the touch than running temperature. Does this affect the results greatly?

With the compression that low I'm thinking this is a lot more than just a blown head gasket. A valve issue would explain the noise I have been referring to in this thread I guess? but I can't rule out busted piston rings. Opinions anyone?

I know I read it somewhere, but I can't remember right now: Can I get the head and cylinder off without taking the engine out?

2. I bought new wheel bearings today, but couldn't get the needle bearings for the swing arm pivot shaft. When I got the wheel off I realized, to my dismay, that there was hardly any play in the wheel bearings, and that it was all in the swing arm pivot (I didn't have the rear wheel off the ground when I checked which fooled me a bit).

The 19mm pivot shaft nut on the right side came off easily, but the shaft couldn't be pushed through. When I tried to turn the shaft from the left side there was a hideous *CRUNCH* as the needle bearings disintegrated. Now the shaft is jammed. I've started to push it through with a pneumatic hammer, but it was too late to make that much noise Smiley Hope I can get the bearings quickly!

Here's where I stand now:

Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 04/19/11 at 11:30:18

mcentric wrote on 04/19/11 at 10:49:06:
New day, old issues...

I am a bit further along in making my savage all better though:

1. I finally got around to doing the compression test... it was bad. I was consistently getting a result of 100-105PSI! It took some time from when I shut it off until I took the tank off, so it was more like hot to the touch than running temperature. Does this affect the results greatly?
I did mine cold so I don't think so.  As long as the cylinder wall had a good coating of oil shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
With the compression that low I'm thinking this is a lot more than just a blown head gasket. A valve issue would explain the noise I have been referring to in this thread I guess? but I can't rule out busted piston rings. Opinions anyone?
I'm thinking rings.

Quote:
I know I read it somewhere, but I can't remember right now: Can I get the head and cylinder off without taking the engine out?

you can get the head cover off, head requires you remove a few of the cylinder bolts, cylinder maybe more.
but it'll be easier to take the engine out.
easier then you think, remove all the bolts to get the engine loose, take off all you can to make it lighter, lay some padding down, lay the bike on top of it, wiggle the engine free, stand it up and put it on the bench.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #28 - 04/19/11 at 12:46:33

Squirt oil in the cylinder & retest compression. A significant rise indicates bad rings, little or none = valves. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #29 - 04/20/11 at 09:32:06

Soooooo...... I got the swing arm pivot bearings out.... Grin

Well, almost all of it. The bearing housing is still stuck in there and is currently soaking i rust remover

The shaft was covered in rust and old grease so I threw it in the lathe and took a very light cut to remove just the rust, and then I finished it off with sandpaper. I haven't checked the the specs for the original OD of the shaft but I doubt I took off enough to make a difference. If I have, I'll order a new shaft or machine a new spacers to fit it.

before

after

I ordered a new set of bearings and spacers today. Let me tell you... spare parts for a "cheap" bike in Norway certainly aren't cheap. 630 Norwegian Kroner ($118)! A pair of rear wheel bearings and a belt sprocket hub bearing were $85. I would have bought it all on eBay, but I don't want to wait two weeks to get it... the riding season in Norway is short enough as it is  Wink

Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:29:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New old savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!