Send Topic Print
New old savage (Read 1102 times)
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
New old savage
04/10/11 at 03:04:30

Hi all!

I recently bought my first Savage. An '88 model. I'm not unfamiliar with bikes or wrenching, but this is my first air-cooled, and my first single cylinder engine.

At first inspection it appeared quite sound, but it was dirt cheap, so I wasn't taking anything for granted.

There was a quite distinct "ticking" from the valves/rockers, so I've adjusted the tappet clearances to spec and that helped somewhat. I also replaced the leaky exhaust gasket.

My question is basically this: When riding at moderate speed with a helmet on, are you supposed to quite clearly hear the the valves/rockers? If not, will cam wear be my next place to look?
I have not checked the infamous cam chain tensioner yet. Undecided

Apart from the "ticking" it runs good, starts easily, and the spark plug indicates a pretty acceptable mixture. It has a fairly open aftermarket exhaust, but has not (to my knowledge been re-jetted). There is a slight backfire on engine shut-off, but nothing dramatic.

I intended to tear the engine down and go over it thoroughly, but the spring appeared with a bang and the snow cleared (I live in Norway), and now I would prefer to have it in ridable condition  Wink

all opinions appreciated

cheers
Mikael

"Hey! It's that guy you are!"
-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Re: New old savage
Reply #1 - 04/10/11 at 03:06:43

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #2 - 04/10/11 at 03:50:43

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 04/10/11 at 06:45:49

Man, that looks clean!

Anyway, it is very hard to diagnose type written sounds.  Smiley  Some information, however...  Air cooled make more noise that water cooled, in general.  And with open exhaust, it can be hard to tell where a clack is coming from.

I would stick a Harley takeoff (Or whatever is cheap over there) on to get the sound down.  Also try a machinist's stethoscope to isolate it.  You may also want to look at the cam chain.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 04/10/11 at 07:31:11

Does it have a windshield,......because that can sure make an engine appear to be noisier than it really is !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/10/11 at 07:36:53

that's a definite tick.
put your hand on top of the case next to the oil filter cover, if you can feel the ticking there, then it's the cam chain.

other than that, do a compression test.

WWW   IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #6 - 04/10/11 at 09:33:15

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I just came back from a short ride, and there is definitely more mechanical noise than there should be. I will be checking the cam chain issue before I do much more riding. By chance I bought a compression tester yesterday, so that will also be done shortly.

I'll be back with the results.

thanx again

Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/11/11 at 07:32:03

It only takes starting it up to do lots of damage IF the tensioner lets go. I wouldnt fire it up again till I looked at it inside.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #8 - 04/13/11 at 02:07:12

I guess it really was time to check the cam chain tensioner!!

20mm extension on the plunger is, from what I have read on this forum, way past acceptable. Now to chose from the suggested mods.... any suggestions?

Am I right in assuming that this would be enough to cause the rattle that I am hearing?

cheers
Mikael

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/13/11 at 02:29:19

Time or the Verslavy mod. Then you can sort out the little bugs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #10 - 04/13/11 at 09:30:04

Well, I went for the "extend the bolt hole on the plunger" mod Smiley

I haven't assembled the clutch cover yet so I can't positively say it's fixed the rattle, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant improvement.

It's probably been done a lot of times here, but I thought I'd document the mod with a picture series:

1. I cut off a little piece of 5mm steel plate to the approximate width of the tab on the plunger.

2. I lined the right edge of the steel plate up tangent to the right edge of the bolt hole on the tab and marked the location on the steel plate. I then

marked the new bolt hole 15mm to the left.

3. I center punched and drilled the hole to 9mm. The edge was the slightly chamfered with a countersink.

4. I ground a radius on the left end of the steel plate, and a slight chamfer on the side that will be welded

5. The tab on the plunger was ground down to the inner tangent of the old bolt hole.

6. The pieces were TIG welded together. I didn't use any filler rod as the steel plate was a bit thicker than the tab on the plunger. They flowed together

nicely.

7. The newly modified plunger was slightly cleaned up on a coarse polishing wheel and the edges blended a bit

8. Et Voila! I counter bored bolt hole a bit more as the spacer on the bolt wasn't clearing the new thicker tab. On assembly I couldn't remember the trick

for disabling the ratchet mechanism, so instead I used a choice selection of both norwegian and english swear words, and that seemed to do the trick.

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 04/13/11 at 10:54:33

Nice job, and great pic-splanation.  I know what would happen if the plunger fell out as it was originally (really bad stuff), but what will happen now?  Seems it would have a tough time falling out now, but the chain will eventually still stretch out and need replaced, right?  Will your extended plunger fit with a new tight chain?  Bike may not live to see that day though.  

And I'd love to know some of those norwegian swear words.  I've worn out the english ones...  Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #12 - 04/13/11 at 11:20:07

Thanks Smiley

There really wasn't much holding that plunger in its housing, so I'm real glad I checked it when I did!

When I eventually replace the cam chain I will drill a new hole in the original location, buy a new plunger/tensioner assembly, or machine a new plunger.
But hopefully I'll get a couple of years out of this mod Smiley

Mikael

babyhog wrote on 04/13/11 at 10:54:33:
Nice job, and great pic-splanation.  I know what would happen if the plunger fell out as it was originally (really bad stuff), but what will happen now?  Seems it would have a tough time falling out now, but the chain will eventually still stretch out and need replaced, right?  Will your extended plunger fit with a new tight chain?  Bike may not live to see that day though.  

And I'd love to know some of those norwegian swear words.  I've worn out the english ones...  Wink

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 04/13/11 at 11:53:03

Don't know if you already stated it, but how many miles are on the bike at this time?

Good job with the verslavy mod too  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mcentric

Savage Viking

Skedsmokorset, Norway
Reply #14 - 04/13/11 at 12:30:32

Thanks Smiley

The bike has 39.000km on it, so aprox. 24.000miles. It was due for a tune-up Cheesy

Mikael

EJID wrote on 04/13/11 at 11:53:03:
Don't know if you already stated it, but how many miles are on the bike at this time?

Good job with the verslavy mod too  Grin

-Phillip J. Fry
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New old savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!