no baffle (Read 631 times)
creekhound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aurora,Indiana
Re: no baffle
Reply #15 - 04/19/11 at 14:15:34

What are very bad things?Also i am just try to find a good solution for a non chrome muffler for my bobber project.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #16 - 04/20/11 at 06:40:09

Bad things are; strange valve sounds, oil gushing from my crankcase breather, and heavy smoke. This could all be caused by some unknown problem but I am convinced it is related to the exhaust set up that I was running because there were really no other mods to blame it on.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/20/11 at 08:41:33

splash07 wrote on 04/20/11 at 06:40:09:
Bad things are; strange valve sounds, oil gushing from my crankcase breather, and heavy smoke. This could all be caused by some unknown problem but I am convinced it is related to the exhaust set up that I was running because there were really no other mods to blame it on.

Hers a valve on its way out because of a bad exhaust system and improper tuning. This after I cleaned it!

IP Logged
creekhound
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aurora,Indiana
Reply #18 - 04/20/11 at 14:06:36

So could you suggest a good non chrome setup?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #19 - 04/20/11 at 14:54:38

I found some small tractor mufflers at Tractor Supply that might work. Very industrial looking. I haven't had a chance to measure any yet but there were several under $40. My 5 year old JCW 4" turnout is about to rust out & I'd like to find something a little quieter to replace it. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
dhoff024
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/20/11 at 18:34:56

I know that you are looking for something not chrome but I have a 2007 s40 that when I got it the baffle was taken out of the exhaust and it ran like absolute crap so I did some searching on ebay and found a supertrap muffler that was used that was for a sportster. It did not have the packing in it anymore so what I did is bought it took the end off, bought some packing, repacked it put it all back together. It runs really well now and sounds good to. The thing that I like about it is it has rings that you can add or take away to add sound or take it away it really gives you alot of options plus the bike runs very well and sounds good and looks good. I know this isnt what you are looking for but it is a really good option for these kind of bikes I am really glad I went that route. Also if you didnt want it chrome I am sure that you could buy some vlave cover paint or engine paint at the auto parts store that is high heat paint and just paint the exhaust black or whatever you were looking for.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #21 - 04/21/11 at 12:52:24

einheit13 wrote on 04/20/11 at 08:41:33:

Hers a valve on its way out because of a bad exhaust system and improper tuning. This after I cleaned it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/bandersnatchreverb/IMG_3989.jpg

So EinHiet,
 Do you have a pict of your burnt front valve with the piece missing?

T-Mack1

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/22/11 at 03:13:09

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/21/11 at 12:52:24:
einheit13 wrote on 04/20/11 at 08:41:33:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/bandersnatchreverb/IMG_3989.jpg

So EinHiet,
 Do you have a pict of your burnt front valve with the piece missing?

T-Mack1

Not yet but after a trip through the dishwaher, the edges do look like that. Looking through a big magnifier, the seat is prestine, and very hard.... duno if the fine lapping compound will even polish it!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 04/22/11 at 17:24:23

I bought mine with the gutted stock muffler some three years and 12,000 miles ago. It still runs like a champ. It did run like crap when i first got it, but reducing the white spacer, adjusting the mixture screw and putting a 150 main jet took care of that. The valves run nice and quiet and I only had to adjust them the first time, and the 2nd and 3rd year checkup showed no change. It gets ridden strong after warming up the oil and it sees lots of superslab high speed runs. Thing is when you gut a stock muffler is pretty much just taking out the sound control, as when you look up inside, deep in there is still two chambers, separated by plates that IMHO are the actual part for controlling the back pressure. It is not a straight through open scenario if you just take the baffle out. The Hartman Mod proves that. So in this case, I don't think the removal of the stock baffle is really critical to the health of the engine. I have no problems at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no baffle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.