Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally Ready To Paint! (Read 241 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Finally Ready To Paint!
04/05/11 at 20:30:00

Took the tins off yesterday for the new paint job! Sure looks different "nekkid"
I figure I got about a week to get the chrome off and give everything a good clean and polishing before I get the tank and fenders back. Lots of work to do yet. I'm not near as organized and photo savvy as some here, but I will try to post a few pics as it progresses.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Finally Ready To Paint!
Reply #1 - 04/06/11 at 00:55:13

Sans tins, it is really easy to see why the LS650s can be modified into such sweet lookin' Bobbers! Beautiful! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 04/06/11 at 07:22:38

And since you have all that extra working room, it would be a good time to check the valve clearances and replace all fuel/vac lines to avoid cracking.  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing the new paint scheme as well  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #3 - 04/06/11 at 20:24:47

EJID, great reminder. Thanks!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 04/07/11 at 05:42:57

What color?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Reply #5 - 04/07/11 at 17:10:36

Did you remove the wheel to take off the rear fender off? If so I'd like to know how you did it.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 04/07/11 at 19:11:45

MotoBuddha - 2011 GM color - 16U - Greystone Metalic

MulletViper - I took the easy way out removing the fender for expediency using a knuckle socket and extension out of my rachet set. It also gave two more days of bike mobility while I clean it. I won't get by with that re-installing it if I value my new paint job. I made the frame lift off this site's tech section per this link... http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm
I plan on taking the rear wheel off following the clymer manual instructions and continuing my "clean and polish as I go" method as I re-install everything when the tins come back. My painter says he has most everything prepped and may start painting tomorrow depending on how his "real" jobs work out for the day. I can't wait!

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #7 - 04/08/11 at 19:42:00

Spent my time off today doing a real good cleaning and taking the belt guards etc off in anticipation of rear wheel removal. The bottom picture above, now looks like this...
I had to use a hand impact driver to get the screws loose that held the belt guards in place, and caused typical damage to the screw heads.

Used the frame lift to isolate the wheels for a good polishing and a general frame degreasing and polish to finish off the day.

Now all I need is my tins back.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/08/11 at 20:18:16

Time spent with a little miss polishing her 'chrome' is always time well spent.   Cool

Of course you know... if you had a spare tank you could still go riding.

WWW   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #9 - 04/12/11 at 20:37:12

Tins came back over the weekend, but the metalflake developed a "stretch" at the roundover on the tank. Not bad, but in a real noticable spot, and one bad spot on the rear fender. I REALLY like the look of the paint scheme on the pieces that came out. I'm not even sure I'm want to put the WWII decals on or not! I've got enough paint to redo the tank and rear fender and my daughter's fiance wanted another shot at it - I said "what the hell, go for it!" ....so here I am waiting for it to come back again! Sure is hard to lean into curves in a Dodge truck!!!  Tongue

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 04/13/11 at 08:48:39

My old Dodge leans fine in the curves.  The wrong way, but she sure leans!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 01:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally Ready To Paint!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.