Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"SN" 10W30 Full-Synth ok? (Read 273 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: "SN" 10W30 Full-Synth ok?
Reply #15 - 04/07/11 at 06:05:20

Grin

Oops, I done woke Bill's fingers up before he had his first cup of coffee -- my bad.

Bill is trying to say if your bike doesn't regularly use any oil you don't need to consider the side stand method yet.  

But he was trying to personalize it some jest to take some of the sting off the last oil comparison done on his favorite oil during the big oil war right before the last little one, during which time it was found his favorite synthetic really didn't offer any advantage over several other cheaper synthetics it was tested against.

Same data actually made most of the rest of us into oil agnostics -- pick a brand you like then KEEP SOME IN THERE.  

Paying $13.99 a quart does seem sorta steep for same-same performance against $4.99 a quart synthetic oils (and with regular oil changes the $2.99 a quart dino oils begin to look very reasonable too since on a standard bike syn oils are not really needed).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 04/07/11 at 06:31:02

What rpm do diesel motors  turn going down the road at 60 mph.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 04/07/11 at 06:49:16

Dunno, can't say that I have a diesel personally.

My XV535 turns up to 9,500 rpm before the tach hits the little red line and my recammed Savage regularly goes over 7,000 rpm so yes I do invest in that little extra protection that is offered by synthetic oils as I deem it prudent.  
I think I need it ....

Standard Savage engines never really see 5,000 rpm as the stock cam flat lines you about then and the highest temperatures we saw on Verslagen's test data shows that standard dino oils such as white jug Rotella would be good enough for normal Savage interstate temperatures and rpms.   Hey, as a matter of fact stock Savage engines do run in the same rpm range as open road diesel engines -- ain't that a hoot.

However, the diesel engines are much more stressful engines than gasoline engines anyway, the Savage engine runs a compression ratio of 10:1 while diesel engines start with compressions of 20:1 and go up as high as 25:1 in some versions.  The bearing loads in a diesel engine are quite extreme compared to anything gasoline driven.  

Top fuel engines are closer in oil performance demands to diesel engines than our Savages are, so you are buying an oil that is performance overkill for the Savage when you plunk down $2.99 a quart at Walmart for that big white gallon jug of Rotella T .....

$2.99 a quart with known good for a Savage performance -- JASO MA rated and approved for motorcycle use.

Grin

Ahhhhh ....

Earl, can you hear me buddy?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 04/07/11 at 16:15:21

bill67 wrote on 04/07/11 at 05:40:41:
Versy says if he puts in over how much oil that supposed to me in it goes out fast.So why would you over fill it.

I use the side stand method for only one reason, saftey ! I dropped my bike while checkin the oil, and that ain't never gonna happen again.
And while using the side stand method, I gain the advantage of the more oil, and all the advantages that  goes along w/ more oil capacity.

I didn't know anyone had experienced more oil consumption or any other disadvantages from running the more oil. I sure haven't, and my bike at 6K mi has run the more oil by the previous owner since new.

I'm not telling any one to use the side stand method, but it is an option, if you feel safer checking the oil that way, or if you like running more oil. For myself I like both.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
truckinrider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gulfcoast, ms
Reply #19 - 04/07/11 at 17:02:24

Over the road diesal trucks only turn an average of 1800-2500 rpms @ 70mph with a 13liter motor hauling an average of 39 tons or 78000 lbs. When I owned my truck all I ever put in it was rotella and now all my bike gets is rotella

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 04/07/11 at 18:36:02

I know diesel oil is made for slow rpm engines not the rpm that motorcycles turn.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:21:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "SN" 10W30 Full-Synth ok?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.