Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stripped driveshaft and front pulley....Oh, Crap! (Read 313 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Stripped driveshaft and front pulley....Oh, Cr
Reply #15 - 04/04/11 at 07:59:39

Loosen the pulley nut B4 you take off the rear wheel. Do as clymers says and have someone apply the rear brake while you loosen the nut...don't ask how I know...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/04/11 at 10:24:31

Yeah, sit on the bike, front wheel against a wall, in gear, rear brake applied and if you're on a slick garage floor, put a brick under the back tire.  Still spit the brick out the back.  I ended up putting a tie down strap around the tire and hooking it to the frame, kinda like an old band brake.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 04/04/11 at 15:42:10

There was a post a few years ago about a bike with the same problem. The shaft had some wear on the splines and the splines in the pully were trashed. The owner cleaned everything up real well and put some JB Weld in a new pully then put it all back together and tightened it up. From what I remember it was still as good as new after 10,000 miles. To get a J B Welded pully off the shaft just heat up the pully with a propane torch till the majic smoke comes out of the JB Weld and pull. Wink Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/04/11 at 17:43:03

Some people have mentioned that their drive pulley is aluminum.  I was just in my garage and found my spare.  A magnet sticks to it and it has some rust so it is steel or cast iron.  When I bought it I knew the year of the bike it came from but now I have forgotten.  I bought it after reading some posts on this forum and decided I will eventually need one.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Carl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reply #19 - 04/04/11 at 21:09:55

The post a few years was my bike, It now has over 15,000 Miles on with the Pulley secured with JB Weld (Plastic Steel) and is still going strong with no play in the drive system

Regards
Carl

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped driveshaft and front pulley....Oh, Crap!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.