Belfair, Washington
Re: Motorcycle pants
Reply #15 - 04/03/11 at 03:19:46

In answer to you question about the length of
chaps or jeans.
Mine are trimmed to where when I sat on the bike,
the bottom of the chaps come up just over the
whole foot area of the boot.
I don't like them dragging as I walk either.

Now the reason boots get scuffed, well when you
go sliding across asphalt, it burns or bites whatever
comes in contact with it.

It is not a question of if you will go down, it is
a matter of when. Best be prepared as it can
happen in the blink of an eye.. kim

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #16 - 04/03/11 at 06:21:44

I've never been able to get a motorcycle to wear pants.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 04/03/11 at 07:17:29

I see some people on bikes wearing shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt, and it makes me shudder because I did it once. It was a warm summer day and I went to the corner store a couple of blocks away to get a quart of milk. The city in it's infinite wisdom had done some road repair and patched a piece of road where I turned in to the plaza where the store was with pea gravel and oil. I can't imagine anything slipperier. Down I went sliding about 20 ft on my right side. I split the area between my big toe and second toe (I was wearing sandals) and badly scraped my right arm and leg. I must have been a little shocky because I got the bike up, straightened the footpeg out, got on the bike and drove to the store. I walked in bleeding all over the place with one bare foot (the sandal was ruined) went to the back and got the milk, came back to the front to pay for it and put my bloody hand on the counter and said "I guess I need some band aids too." Paid for everything, got back on the bike and drove home. I stood in a cool shower while my wife picked road crap out of my arm and leg with tweezers. Then I went to the hospital and got my foot stitched up. The doctor who worked on me looked at me as if I was crazy. I was. So now no matter how hot it is, I wear a leather jacket, boots and jeans at a minimum and chaps on longer rides. BTW I have heard that if you wear women's nylons or tights under your jeans it helps prevent road rash because they act as a kind of lubricant between you jeans and your leg. Haven't tried it though. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/03/11 at 09:58:47

The description regarding foot/ankle impact is a great topic!

I was unaware that I scuffed my boots and ankle till I went home and took them off.  

The inside portion of my boots took the hit and I was never pinned under the bike.  This was the result of skidding on the asphalt and my right foot was turned out 90 degrees in relation to my knee.

I am glad I was covered.  I will never be without good boots!

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #19 - 04/03/11 at 14:06:50

I don't like chaps because they don't cover your butt. If you go down there is a good chance you may be sliding along on your backside.
   I can tell you that I have the same problem you mention--finding riding pants that are long enough so that thay don't go up way high when riding. First Gear seems to always make their stuff longer than others. I have bought two different rain pants from them, and bnoth are plenty long. One was First Gear Sierra pants.

Leatherup.com has affordable leather full riding pants. I have had good service from them. Here is an example:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Mens-Pants-and-Chaps/Xelement-Mens-Armore...

Be sure and read the reviews, as often you'll need to get a larger size if you are going to wear jeans underneath.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #20 - 04/03/11 at 19:11:28

My new chaps from Leather Up just arrived yesterday.
I will of course have to cut them off. Darn for being short.
When I had my accident, I slid on the my side and the chaps
saved my leg. I did not slide on my rear end.
Next purchase may very well be leather pants.
Either way I will wear some kind of protection. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 04/03/11 at 20:49:29

jjn wrote on 04/03/11 at 14:06:50:
 I don't like chaps because they don't cover your butt. If you go down there is a good chance you may be sliding along on your backside.
   I can tell you that I have the same problem you mention--finding riding pants that are long enough so that thay don't go up way high when riding. First Gear seems to always make their stuff longer than others. I have bought two different rain pants from them, and bnoth are plenty long. One was First Gear Sierra pants.

Leatherup.com has affordable leather full riding pants. I have had good service from them. Here is an example:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Mens-Pants-and-Chaps/Xelement-Mens-Armore...

Be sure and read the reviews, as often you'll need to get a larger size if you are going to wear jeans underneath.

Jon

That link gives an awesome deal for leather pants.  How come the leather pants are so cheap?(79.99)  Motorcycle jackets with full leather usually cost hundreds of dollars.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 04/07/11 at 16:08:54

Oldnewguy wrote on 04/02/11 at 06:08:20:
I bought denim chaps. I like them better than leather for warmth. Also cheaper. I don't think that they would slide very well though.  Sad

Never thought about denim chaps.  I keep all our worn out jeans for patches.  I might just try making a pair of denim chaps out of some old pairs.  Piece them together, put reinforcements where needed.  Could be an interesting project.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #23 - 04/07/11 at 16:17:08

You know, you can buy flannel lined jeans from LL Bean,  Also consider canvas work pants.  Cathart.

IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/07/11 at 16:36:45

I must state that I had a much less than good shopping event with Leatherup.

In my opinion they have awful customer service.  The quality appears good but they have not been able to get me the size pants that I ordered.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #25 - 04/07/11 at 17:15:33

I believe Draggin makes denim jeans
for motorcycle riding. My friend Rita and
her hubby have them. They both give
they great reviews.
I have seen the flanned lined jeans and
thought along with chaps they would
keep the legs toasty warm.
I have heard that denim by itself does
not hold up well if you were to go sliding.
They tear and grab the pavement. Now leather
will allow a slide and, yet I hope to never find
out how well my new chaps would fair.

Now on Leather Up, I as well as hubby have
ordered items and had no problems. I even
had to exchange for different size. Item was
resent quickly.
Possibly the warehouse is out of your size and,
that expalins why their so slow in replacing the
correct size you need. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 04/07/11 at 18:20:27

Denim don't slide like leather,....  ask me how I know...
I just know, okay?...Huh...

...as far as boots,... make sure you still have good ankle movement...
One for shifting,... but also, if you go down and the ankle can't flex, stresses are transferred to the knees and hips...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #27 - 04/07/11 at 19:23:53

I like chaps because I can take them off and store them when I ride to work. They provide good windbreak and protection, but I don't wear them much when temps get above 80. Been thinking of trying the draggin' jeans, but there's something about the name thats like tempting fate to me... Huh

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle pants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.