Send Topic Print
Motorcycle pants (Read 285 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Motorcycle pants
03/31/11 at 21:27:08

Anyone have helpful comments for me?  I'm looking to buy a pair, and I'm unsure how the fit should be.  My jacket is snug on me, and it keeps me warm that way.  Do motorcycle pants have to be the same?  I went to the store to try some (TPG Escape 2010), and the knee pads were a bit low for me.  

Also, the pants weren't long enough when I was in a sportbike position.  The salesperson just told me that I needed to buy "proper" motorcycle boots that go high past the ankles in order to sneak under the motorcycle pants.  Right now I just wear some work boots that cover the ankles.

I'm mainly looking for something that will keep me dry on rainy days, commuting to work.  Also, it'd be nice to have some more insulation/protection when I'm taking longer trips (~100miles) on the highway.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Motorcycle pants
Reply #1 - 04/01/11 at 03:50:03

Your pants should be long enough so that they cover your ankle with your knee bent. Your salesman was wrong.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/01/11 at 07:23:30

Look at Blue Diamond Gusset jeans.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 04/01/11 at 19:55:59

I have read that the pros wear snug fitting leather, because a fold will burn through when it hits asphalt. Smooth leather just slides and lasts longer during an unexpected get off.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/01/11 at 20:01:21

I slid about 30 yards & nothing burned thru. Had soem chaps on & a Wrangler snap up welders shirt over blue jeans & a tee shirt. I still wear the shirt, the chaps look almost new.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 04/01/11 at 22:53:44

arteacher wrote on 04/01/11 at 03:50:03:
Your pants should be long enough so that they cover your ankle with your knee bent. Your salesman was wrong.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I wondered if he was just trying to sell me something.  Too bad I need a 32 Tall, which many makers don't produce.  

I'd also prefer not to get leather, because I want something that insulates during the winter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/02/11 at 01:01:49

Chaps fit over jeans & insulated stuff. I have 2 pairs of chaps, so when its REally Cold, I can get leather on the outside of my layers of clothes.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 04/02/11 at 03:51:57

I have chaps too. Mine have a snap in lining that keeps me toasty at 5 deg C.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 04/02/11 at 06:08:20

I bought denim chaps. I like them better than leather for warmth. Also cheaper. I don't think that they would slide very well though.  Sad

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 04/02/11 at 06:43:12

Hm, so it seems like more people have chaps, than dedicated rain proof pants?

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 04/02/11 at 08:12:12

I've got those also. They are great for wind breaking. I use them more than the chaps. Less bulky.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/02/11 at 08:30:27

I think you are asking a good question.

I went down in late November and slid about 20-25 ft wearing a Joe Rocket textile jacket with armour.  The jacket "burned through" at the elbow and the CE armour took the hit.  I repaired the jacket.

My leather gloves scuffed but still look great.

My old navy "boon dockers" with steel toes scuffed really bad but provided awesome protection.  If they were not over the ankle I would have lost skin down to the bone.  I only bruised at the ankle.

I was wearing kahki dockers work pants under walmart nylon running pants to cut the wind.  They did not hold up well.  I had a good abrasion on my knee.

I am now wearing knee protection (strap on) under leather pants.  I ordered that pants from Leatherup and they sent the wrong size.  They will not return my calls and emails so I think I am stuck with them.  They are big but appear to be very durable.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #12 - 04/03/11 at 00:00:16

mscepu101 wrote on 04/02/11 at 08:30:27:
I think you are asking a good question.

I went down in late November and slid about 20-25 ft wearing a Joe Rocket textile jacket with armour.  The jacket "burned through" at the elbow and the CE armour took the hit.  I repaired the jacket.

My leather gloves scuffed but still look great.

My old navy "boon dockers" with steel toes scuffed really bad but provided awesome protection.  If they were not over the ankle I would have lost skin down to the bone.  I only bruised at the ankle.

I was wearing kahki dockers work pants under walmart nylon running pants to cut the wind.  They did not hold up well.  I had a good abrasion on my knee.

I am now wearing knee protection (strap on) under leather pants.  I ordered that pants from Leatherup and they sent the wrong size.  They will not return my calls and emails so I think I am stuck with them.  They are big but appear to be very durable.

That is really helpful to hear how the different pieces of your protection held up.  I have a textile jacket with armor too, and leather steel-toed work boots.  I need a better pair of gloves though, but for jeans, I think I'm actually ok.  I took a fall last november too, going maybe 15-20mph, and my jeans held up with only a small scrape.  They didn't even tear completely through, so I don't remember being hurt much, except for maybe scraped skin.  However, I doubt jeans will be adequate at any decent speed.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #13 - 04/03/11 at 00:01:31

By the way, how did your boots/ankle area get scuffed up?  Feet are the only part of the body that I'm unable to imagine getting hurt.  I just can't fathom how.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 04/03/11 at 03:11:55

I wear chaps over jeans. I find chaps
very insulating as well as giviing relief
from sliding..
I wear over the ankle boots as well. My
Pink ones show where they were scuffed