Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reassembled clutch doesn't work. Here's what i did (Read 81 times)
redsavage87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reassembled clutch doesn't work. Here's what i did
03/31/11 at 18:30:20

You may have seen one of my previous posts... my clutch was slipping under any hard acceleration. I got some help and ended up doing a few things.

My problem is I did all of the following steps, but after I put it all back together, the release lever has no pressure on it from the push rod! It's like there's no pushrod installed, or like the whole stack is too compressed. Anyways here's what I did:

1) Drained the oil

2) Removed the rear brake guard, exhaust, and the right engine cover

3) Pulled out my 45.5 mm push pin

4) Removed the 4 screws holding on the release plate evenly

5) Removed the release plate, springs

6) Put the bike in gear, stuck a nickel in the gears, applied the rear brake, and proceeded to remove the hub nut: THIS CAME OFF EXTREMELY EASILY. (Perhaps my entire problem?)

7) Took out the clutch sleeve hub, ONE metal ring (wave washer? spring seat? Don't know which, but there was only one), 6 fiber plates and 5 steel plates.

8) Followed Oldfeller's instructions on cleaning the plates: Basically, soaked'em in gas 2 days, scrubbed, soaked in soapy water 2 days, scrubbed, sanded with 220 grit very slightly, soaked in oil 3 days.  

9) I stacked up all the plates again, put them all back in, (alternating of course), next the "washer thing", and then the clutch sleeve hub.

10) Put on the washer, applied rear brake, bike in gear, and tightened the hub nut to 50 ftlbs (much tighter than before I believe)

11) Put in 4 new springs, tightened down the release plate evenly all the way down.

12) Put in my 45.5mm pushrod (tried the 46.5mm too) and put the engine cover back on.

I can hear when the lever hits the push rod on the inside, and I'm "missing" quite a bit of space. My first thought was that because the hub nut is now tight, the clutch is compressed more than it was previously... but it should still work! The only thing that really changed was

1) hub nut tightness

2) the clutch plates I replaced weren't the exact same ones (I had spare parts) but the whole stack appears to be about the same height)

I'm thinking about tossing on another steel and fiber plate. Anyone have any suggestions?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Reassembled clutch doesn't work. Here's what i
Reply #1 - 03/31/11 at 19:00:55

Same thing I did my 1st time... clutch didn't work.

I think the wave washer is not sitting right or one of the fiberplates is hanging up on the basket.

Take it loose shake it around a bit put it back in.  cross your fingers.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
redsavage87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/02/11 at 12:56:35

Thanks! I'll try that. I may have put the washer in the wrong direction too...

IP Logged
redsavage87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/02/11 at 18:31:00

Got it! One of the fiber plates has a slightly larger inner diameter than the others, and needs to be the one sitting on that washer. I must have mixed them up during the cleaning process. MUCH better! Thanks for the tip man

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reassembled clutch doesn't work. Here's what i did

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.