drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Rear brake questions
03/31/11 at 13:24:57

3 questions: 1st, has anyone ever worn out the drum to the point of needing to replace. (20,000 miles) 2nd, is it possible to have stretched the rear brake cable? 3rd, is there any other cable adjustment, other than the one at the very back?
Problem is this: Last summer, I thought I had wore out the shoes. I had the thing adjusted in as far as it goes, and the rear brake pedal was going all the way down, barely able to stop the bike. I go to change the shoes, and the old ones are not worn out. They are almost as thick as the new ones. Do I need a new cable or what?
Any idea's?? (Maybe I can return the new shoes--I sure could use the $35.00)

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Rear brake questions
Reply #1 - 03/31/11 at 13:56:06

Release the brake arm off the drum and rotate it CCW (I think). The post on the drum has knurls on it. Adjust where the brake arm attaches to the brake drum. At least on the 2 bikes I have, if you set the arm to the first mark it is WAY too soft.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/31/11 at 23:33:44

+1 on adjusting the lever on the rear drum on its spline star thingie to put you back in the good zone as marked on the drum.

Rule of thumb on this is the first time you do it, you go ahead and order new rear brake shoes so you have them on hand.

Second time you do it you realize you are chasing some cable stretch and the silly rear shoes are gonna last forever.

When the shoes finally "wear out", they aren't nearly worn out but the cam that actuates them has run out of mechanical room and will rotate past the pad steel block.  You look at it harshly, thinking they could have done a better job spec'ing the steel turn block that is cast into the brake shoes, but you say "what the heck" and put in your new set since it isn't worth messing with them ....

Reality is the turn cam actuated by the lever has worn down some, so order you a new turn cam and keep all the old shoes (what is old is new again with a new turn cam to drive them).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 04/01/11 at 04:49:56

I got me a "new" setup from eBay store Pinwall Cycles. The whole brake was from a '07 S40 with 1,200 miles on it fro $9.99. They have them fro that money all the time. You just have to look through 27 pages of stuff mixed with 250 Marauder parts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:14:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.