Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Farthest road trip? (Read 216 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Farthest road trip?
03/29/11 at 14:46:05

I am planning a road trip this summer that will span from the lower part of michigan and travel lake michigan all the way up to the Mackinac bridge and was wondering how the savage will be on such a long trip.  Whats the longest road trip you have taken and how was it?  comfort, mechanical issues? Just wondering  Smiley

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Farthest road trip?
Reply #1 - 03/29/11 at 16:42:11

Well,.. I'm not a huge distance rider, so my longest is about 300 miles in a day....
...and my butt was glad to get off at the end of the day... but the Savage would have been happy to keep going...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #2 - 03/29/11 at 17:00:46

Should be good for 500-600 a day no sweat. Can do 400+ on my CB250. Don't forget the Tylonal. Best of luck.---luke

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/29/11 at 17:28:25

Over 30 years ago I went from North Mississippi to Kingsport, Tn in a day.  1972 H2Kawasaki 750, three cyclinder two stroke. 457 miles according to the odo. Next day stopped in traffic long enough to take a picture of the Bristol Va-Tn sign. Saw Ruby Falls in Chattanooga. A guy was wiring "See Ruby Falls" signs to car bumpers. I asked for one and strung it along the side of my bike. Last year 126 miles and ended back home where my heating pad and pain pills are.  Grin  May try to go to Tim's Ford (150 miles) lakehouse of wife's cousin around Lynchburg Tn where MM Ranch runs. Rode 40 miles today in 40 degrees. What was the question, again? Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 03/29/11 at 17:50:18

So far only 200 in one day. There was a
break in between. Bike was still willing
to go more. No maitntance issues. Check
your oil.
Best of luck on your trip. Don't forget gas
every 100 miles..Smiley kim

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 03/29/11 at 19:42:04

I did a couple weekend trip on the s40. They were about 250 miles one way thru the Rocky Mountains. Lots of hills and turns with the speed limit at 60mph. The bike performed great.
Some guys have done long cross county trips on the Savage and the bike did the trips without any issues. There are some posts from last year on them. If your bike is in good shape it should be able to do your trip.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 03/29/11 at 21:40:04

I was going on a trip, didn't know how I would do, so the did a test.   Out from work, 3:30pm a Friday, I got home and took a nap.  Left the house about 9pm, 135 miles to Joshua Tree, waited at the MacDonalds incase someone idiot would be riding.  None.  After midnight I entered Joshua Tree National Park, across the Mojave under a full moon, a 60 mile 30-40 mph putt.  Back on the Interstate, stopped for breakfast,  problem on the Interstate with 30-40 mph headwind, not fun with just the Flyscreen, so I did some riding on the side roads.  Even so I got back to home about 7 am, an overnight 370 mile trip.  Surprised myself -- I wasn't tired!

So I did it again, this time south to north:   http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002372.html
Three legs did 61 mpg at about 70, 63 mpg thru the Park, last leg again the heavy headwind getting only 52.5 mpg.  But I was capable of riding against 90+mph wind riding straight cruising position with the 19 inch tall StreetShield.

Having proven, I went to my Military Reunion: http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002421.html
Day one, 570 miles.  Day two, 510 miles.  http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002423.html

Have another Reunion coming up, this time in June in Biloxi.  Planning a for a big loop via Detroit, about 5600 miles.  Should be not a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/30/11 at 02:25:10

Thought there would be lots of posts on long trips! Rode from Portland Or thru Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois before turning around again and headed north thru South Dakota, Montana and Washington before retuning home. Took 2 trips back to Montana (Glacier National Park)  and rode home over 6oo miles in one day from Missoula on my Savage. Bike was always running strong at the end of the day. A bit hard on me but my bike seems to fit me perfectly and I took hourly breaks to shake my hands out and loosin up a bit before heading off again. I found out that 50 wt oil makes the bike run much cooler at high speeds. I had a blast and  the bike ran great. This spring I'm heading south to Phoenix and visit a friend. I think my long trip was like 7,000 plus, I can't remember exactly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/30/11 at 02:37:13

Beat Duck left Florida, made Burning Man, North to Canada, East to above NY, South to Florida. Theres a blog & pics somewhere.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 03/30/11 at 06:41:15

I did the length of Alabama once was around 470 miles total, I did back roads the whole way and it took around 9 hours. Only problem I had was that I melted my jacket on the muffler at like the first gas stop. Other than that I did not have a single problem.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #10 - 03/30/11 at 07:10:50

Well, MY farthest roade trip was 409 miles over 2 days.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276370493/12#12

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #11 - 03/30/11 at 08:48:13

Hey, don't stop at the bridge....unless you want to hang around Mac City and eat fudge all day. Cheesy

That is my 250 in the middle, so the Savage won't have any problem. That little burro took me home to North Carolina on I 75. Shocked

Go on across to the U.P. and you will get to see neat things like this....

See here for more you will miss...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621422

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 03/30/11 at 08:58:21

My wife and I,both on our own 1983 GR 650 Suzukis 500 miles in a day,She weight 105 pounds.Best mileage on that trip was 68 mpg,they were geared 1000 rpm less that stock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 03/31/11 at 00:24:42

Long Road Trips on small(er) Bikes is way Cool! Anyone can go the distance on a Honda/Harley/BMW/insert marque here Touring Bike, but when someone takes a smaller, so-called "Beginner" Bike on an excursion, that piques my interest and gets my respect!

Longest one-day stint on the LS650 for me was 400 kms ... both I and the Bike handled it no problem what so ever ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #14 - 03/31/11 at 02:40:03

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:27:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Farthest road trip?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.