Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Acting like a Bad Petc0ck (Read 213 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Acting like a Bad Petc0ck
03/27/11 at 16:59:17

Well I was out riding around today and had a bit of a problem. I was running on the superslab/ I-95 at a heathy 75+ mph when there was a sudden drop in power along with rough running, popping and all the rest of the stuff you don't want to hear on a main road. My first thought was WTF, ignition shutting down or what!!! My next thought was it sure sounds like a classic petc0ck problem. Flipped it over to prime, the stumbling smoothed out and the bike ran like it should. I rode another 20 miles on I-95 with no problems. What do you think, bad petc0ck?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Acting like a Bad Petc0ck
Reply #1 - 03/27/11 at 17:03:01

could be... or screen is just dirty. Drain the tank, pull the petcock and see. You can always take it apart and clean the thing too!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 03/27/11 at 17:20:26

Those were the classic symptoms I had before I figured out the carb vacuum hose didn't have a clamp on it. I have had this happen about 8 times over the last two years. It occurs more in cold weather, so I assume the membrane is cold and stiff. My cure is to put it on prime and run the crap out of it, but I really need a new one...or a raptor. Here is the Raptor as quoted on here: #5LP-24500-01-00. 2003 Yamaha Raptor YFM 660R. IHTH

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 03/27/11 at 17:26:21

I haven't run the stock tank/petcock/vacuum  in years. I have a harley tank and petcock with the vacuum line plugged. Never really have any problems with it.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 03/27/11 at 19:06:10

This happens to me every time I have to switch to reserve when the gas is low. You sure you had enough gas in it?

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #5 - 03/28/11 at 11:35:33

That is what mine would do going fast up hills, just like out of gas but wasn't. I changed to the raptor valve and have had no more problems. Also it is so much better getting the tank on and off now!
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/28/11 at 11:56:34

What will clean the screen w/o melting it?

new petcock diaphram, new vac hose, yet it will stumble on cold morns and going uphill wfo.

Pulled the screen off last night and shoved a tube in for reserve along with a fuel filter in the line to the carb.  Ran great this morn.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 03/28/11 at 15:24:17

Full tank of fuel with original vacumn tubing and diaphram and a new inline fuel filter. Looks like I'm pulling the tank and checking everything. What's the scoop on the raptor setup?
 Got it using the search function Cheesy 
 OK I found a Raptor petc0ck and a gasket on line, do I need the "special screws" also?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/29/11 at 07:38:40

do I need the "special screws" also?

Seriously? Im 56 years old & I have had time to collect a good many of those "Special Screws" down thru the years. Havent you?
Maybe you just havent had enough really "Special screwings"  to manage to collect up some of those screws???

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/29/11 at 07:46:08

I find that Lowes and hardware stores all sell the "special screws" any time I find that I need them.   The rest of the pack of 4 go into my special screw drawer where I can find them again later on when I need more of them durn special screws ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 03/29/11 at 08:06:24

Whereas I have a small tool box where I keep all my extra fasteners.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #11 - 03/29/11 at 10:34:25

You won't need any special screws.  It's a direct swap, just use the old screws.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 03/29/11 at 10:41:33

Ed L. wrote on 03/28/11 at 15:24:17:
 Got it using the search function Cheesy 
 OK I found a Raptor petc0ck and a gasket on line, do I need the "special screws" also?  

Just be sure to block the vacuum tap on the carb, to prevent an air leak in the intake...  I used a tight fitting sheet metal screw, and dressed it with a rubber nipple... Get just the right size and it will be airtight, without damaging the inlet tube...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 03/29/11 at 11:39:23

verslagen1 wrote on 03/28/11 at 11:56:34:
What will clean the screen w/o melting it?

new petcock diaphram, new vac hose, yet it will stumble on cold morns and going uphill wfo.

Pulled the screen off last night and shoved a tube in for reserve along with a fuel filter in the line to the carb.  Ran great this morn.

When I 1st got my '96, it always ran crappy in 'on' so I ran it in 'res' all the time.  Now I know why, clogged screen.
I suppose a soak in straight seafoam would clean it out.
But I've yanked mine and don't intend to put it back.
In line filters are replaceable.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 03/30/11 at 11:21:41

Plain old carb cleaner will clean the screens jest dandy -- I do it every time I take the petcock off for any reason as it is simple "preventive medicine".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Acting like a Bad Petc0ck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.