Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM 38 Tuning *VIDEO* (Read 330 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mikuni VM 38 Tuning
Reply #15 - 03/30/11 at 19:25:22

Boule’tard wrote on 03/27/11 at 19:06:42:
The UFO is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.  But it can be made to work (and still have a small pilot jet)  by enlarging the hole in the UFO (that the needle goes through) with a 5/16" drill bit.  Also, there is the optional air bleed, outlined in the UFO instructions, that will lean out the idle mixture.  It is an approximately 1/16" hole in the brass shroud just upstream of the needle.  Drill it just above the "floor" of the throat.  Those two mods should get the mixture in range to where you can control it with the air screw.

Prepare to curse, jan. Tuning is very very tedious. I had forgotten that I had at first, a very lean spot right off idle. I didnt enlarge the hole the needle went through but I did do the air bleed and it helped a lot. It helped enough that I could tune from that point. Start with a very small size and enlarge it one size at a time, and test it each time. You'll find that the popping and hesitation will lessen. Just for kick though, before you go drilling the needle jet...try a #10 pilot, needle on the 3rd slot, #200 main, airscrew out 2 turns. Thats where I'm at after a long tuning process last spring and should put you in the general ball park. You'll Probably be running rich as I have a more open muffler but give it a shot.
And you'll never be able to crack open the throttle from idle to main without it stalling. I dont know how to explain it well but someone will chime in.
PS - the off idle hesitation is far less pronounced under load. Even now, tuned as well as Im going to get without continuous dyno acess, if i crack the throttle wide open from idle while in nuetral if i try hard i can get it to stall. If im actually taking off in 1st and crack the throttle the same way I get a split second of slight hesitation and then I get launched forward like a rocket.

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #16 - 03/31/11 at 07:44:02

BurnPgh wrote on 03/30/11 at 19:25:22:
Boule’tard wrote on 03/27/11 at 19:06:42:
The UFO is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.  But it can be made to work (and still have a small pilot jet)  by enlarging the hole in the UFO (that the needle goes through) with a 5/16" drill bit.  Also, there is the optional air bleed, outlined in the UFO instructions, that will lean out the idle mixture.  It is an approximately 1/16" hole in the brass shroud just upstream of the needle.  Drill it just above the "floor" of the throat.  Those two mods should get the mixture in range to where you can control it with the air screw.

Prepare to curse, jan. Tuning is very very tedious. I had forgotten that I had at first, a very lean spot right off idle. I didnt enlarge the hole the needle went through but I did do the air bleed and it helped a lot. It helped enough that I could tune from that point. Start with a very small size and enlarge it one size at a time, and test it each time. You'll find that the popping and hesitation will lessen. Just for kick though, before you go drilling the needle jet...try a #10 pilot, needle on the 3rd slot, #200 main, airscrew out 2 turns. Thats where I'm at after a long tuning process last spring and should put you in the general ball park. You'll Probably be running rich as I have a more open muffler but give it a shot.
And you'll never be able to crack open the throttle from idle to main without it stalling. I dont know how to explain it well but someone will chime in.
PS - the off idle hesitation is far less pronounced under load. Even now, tuned as well as Im going to get without continuous dyno acess, if i crack the throttle wide open from idle while in nuetral if i try hard i can get it to stall. If im actually taking off in 1st and crack the throttle the same way I get a split second of slight hesitation and then I get launched forward like a rocket.

Do you have a Dial-a-Jet also ? if so, are you running it on the middle setting?

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/31/11 at 13:51:42

no DAJ

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #18 - 03/31/11 at 14:16:30

Well, I will try moving the needle up and down to see where I get the best overall performance and later work my way to the pilot jet #10. I will keep the main jet 185 since I have a DAJ. Another thing that I'm doing is making the hole of the UFO bigger with a 5/16" drill bit (Lonn owner of thunderproducts recommended me this.) Will see what happens and I will post the updates.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #19 - 04/01/11 at 15:01:11

Here is the bike with the Mikuni 38, UFO, DAJ, Pilot Jet #10, Needle Jet 6DP1 with the setting on the first slot (tried first, second and third slot and didnt do any different)

Later I drilled the UFO with a 5/16", tried the pilot jet 10 and changed the needle for a 6D8H. The different was huge (not perfect), but I will be testing with the soldered pilot to see if it gets better;if not, a will also try a thicker Needle.

Thanks for the help everybody. Now i will run more test and wait till i get a bigger needle online

« Last Edit: 04/01/11 at 18:38:11 by jandaso »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:17:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM 38 Tuning *VIDEO*

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.