Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM 38 Tuning *VIDEO* (Read 330 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Mikuni VM 38 Tuning *VIDEO*
03/27/11 at 10:07:14

I been reading everything I can for the tuning of the carburetor and I have come out with a staring main jet (185), needle is of the second slot
From top to bottom. Pilot jet ?????? I don't even know where to Start. I have a UFO and a Dial-A-jet on the carb plus a cone filter. Currently I have in hand a 10,12.5,15,17.5,20 and 30 pilot jet sizes. I just need some  
enlightenment to figure out on what to Start. I plan to run the bike today and see how it Will do but I just need a setup to start playing with it. Current mods Is a Dyna muffler, Verslavy and a Barnett clutch.

I know lancer (hope he gets well soon) is the guy to talk to for these questions but he's not being active and there should be people out there who can point me to the right direction. Thanks

« Last Edit: 04/01/11 at 15:02:34 by jandaso »  

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mikuni VM 38 Tuning
Reply #1 - 03/27/11 at 10:21:08

start in the middle and let the bike tell which way to go.

WWW   IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #2 - 03/27/11 at 10:53:13

I will post how the bike runs to see what adjustment I can make. Thanks again

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #3 - 03/27/11 at 14:23:32

Cant get her started with dial a jet on. Idle rought and a lot of black smoke. Wujuuu problems !

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/27/11 at 16:05:23

with the UFO a pilot jet generally isnt necessary. Lancer generally include a pilot jet that has been soldered shut for use with the UFO/DAJ set up. For me...the soldered jet was a bit too lean, and the 10 pilot is a bit rich. I stuck with the #10 and diddled with the air adjustment and idle screws to get a good running.

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #5 - 03/27/11 at 17:12:08

I will deal with it tomorrow. Now the bike won't even start. :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/27/11 at 18:52:26

jandaso wrote on 03/27/11 at 17:12:08:
I will deal with it tomorrow. Now the bike won't even start. :'(

& the upside is

No new riding gear is needed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 03/27/11 at 19:06:42

The UFO is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.  But it can be made to work (and still have a small pilot jet)  by enlarging the hole in the UFO (that the needle goes through) with a 5/16" drill bit.  Also, there is the optional air bleed, outlined in the UFO instructions, that will lean out the idle mixture.  It is an approximately 1/16" hole in the brass shroud just upstream of the needle.  Drill it just above the "floor" of the throat.  Those two mods should get the mixture in range to where you can control it with the air screw.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #8 - 03/27/11 at 19:21:44

I soldered The pilot jet shut and nothing. The bike just turns but won't start. I just smell gas and hear the filter sucking air.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/27/11 at 20:05:24

I just smell gas and hear the filter sucking air.

& how many plates of beans & onions did you have b4 bed last nite?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #10 - 03/27/11 at 20:16:11

haha. I had to use my car to jump the battery since it was weak. The bike really just turns and it seems it flooded. The bike is not giving me any signs of firing up. Im getting frustrated after trying for a couple of minutes there is a really strong smell of gas. Tomorrow i will change the Sparkplug for the iridium one (not hoping this to be the fix but i was going to do it anyways)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/28/11 at 11:21:03

If you have a good smooth  UFO installation on the slide and soldering the pilot jet closed, it "should start for you".  
The ones I have assembled worked for me so I'm not sure what to tell you now, except to  recheck your work.
Call Thunder Products and talk to Lonn, he is the owner and knows the UFO better than anyone...he might have some guidance for you.

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #12 - 03/28/11 at 11:38:51

Everthing went smooth with the UFO now i need to wait for a washer that went missing for the Dial-A-Jet. I took the air box out and there is a hose that I left open. I bought a small cone filter to use it for it. Would that work ?? the hose just blows air. I just need to find a spark plug remover tool since i dont have one. Called all the motorcycles around my area and they dont have it in stock.

it would help if somebody can help me with an alternative: a deep 18mm socket wont fit, I already tried that.  

P.S. Lancer let me know when your ready for a nice talk on what i want to do and how your  cams can help me achieved my goals and thanks for the response. I hope your getting better.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 03/28/11 at 11:48:38

Try a lawn mower shop for the sparkplug wrench.
You might take a used plug with you to a pawn shop or yard sales.
I have a well worn 11/16" deep socket that fits.

WWW   IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #14 - 03/30/11 at 14:52:35

Changed The spark plug and after all the bike started with a little hesitation (my guess: bike was flooded or the old spark plug went bad) The bike idles fine but when I pull down the throttle the bikes dies. The only way I can keep her from not dying is pulling really slow on the throttle plus the bike is backfiring when letting go of the throttle.

Any help on what can be causing this?

« Last Edit: 03/30/11 at 18:12:21 by jandaso »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM 38 Tuning *VIDEO*

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.