Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mufflers from Atwoods (Read 87 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Mufflers from Atwoods
03/26/11 at 15:54:56

I went to Atwoods today to get a pole saw and went through the store and stumbled across the tractor repair section and there were some cheap mufflers in different sizes and diameters. I found a couple with the right diameter pipe and wheels and gears began to spin in my head and really got carried away with my fantasy... Grin
Of course they had no tabs or anything else looking like a bracket on it, but hey for 20 bux?? The only thing that kept me from getting one is the fact that the exterior looked ugly, and I am not into the rat bike look.
I got the stock exhaust and I do like the look. And the baffle is out, and the sound isn't all that bad. It is just a little high pitched for my taste. It IS loud though, especially when wrung out, but I like that. I just wish the tone was a little lower, like the Vance and Hines pipes my brother in law has on his C50. His bike sounds intoxicating good. His bike has the best sound I ever heard. I wish there was a Vance and Hines pipe for my S40, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

What do you guys think? Would that be doable?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mufflers from Atwoods
Reply #1 - 03/26/11 at 16:42:22

Sax Man wrote on 03/12/10 at 08:58:22:
I did a Hartman muffler mod a few years ago.  I didn't take pictures but if you go to

http://jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Hartman_Muffler_Mod_Details/hartman...

you can see details.  There are a couple of different stock muffler baffles.  My bike is a 2003 and the muffler was as illustrated at the bottom of the page in the link above.  I used a circle cutter to cut out the baffle unit.   Instead of separating the two baffle parts and then replacing the pipe with the holes in it, I just discarded the entire unit.  I then fabricated a 1/8" thick aluminum disk with the center whole the same size as the original exhaust hole and fastened it with 4 large aluminum rivets.  I made the fit as perfect as possible to prevent edge leakage.  I didn't use any fiberglass packing.  

You can see the finished mod in this picture:

Quote:
I turned the mixture screw out a turn or so but no other changes.  It runs well and sounds great.

I experimented with a couple different hole sizes but settled on the original size for back pressure and it just sounded the best.  Nice fat sound with no whistles etc.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mufflers from Atwoods
Reply #2 - 03/26/11 at 16:44:43

And if you want to blow your buddy away...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1233415444

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mufflers from Atwoods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.