Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb again (Read 210 times)
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb again
03/26/11 at 13:01:26

Hi all, back to carbs again. I've had to take my straight through muffler off as it is just too loud. I went through all the jet info and got it running sweeet. I have now fitted a HD muffler and it just wont run right. on hard acceleration it will miss and pop and wont accelerate past 3/4 unless I twist throttle slow. Now correct me if im wrong but top end is controlled by the main jet. I have tried all my main jets from 140 to 155 and gone from 3/4 spacer to none. Still no top end. Could it be a too restrictive exhaust. I will upset the neighbours by running with no muffler tomorrow just to see. Any ideas would be gratefully received :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb again
Reply #1 - 03/26/11 at 13:05:22

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 03/26/11 at 13:01:26:
on hard acceleration it will miss and pop and wont accelerate past 3/4 unless I twist throttle slow.

Put the full white spacer back in and try a 150 or 152, anyway good place to start.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 03/26/11 at 13:16:54

A shot in the dark, but could the replacement muffler be collapsed inside? Catalytic converters were know for causing similar symptoms when they first came out. Especially if used with leaded gas and got plugged up. I like to look at the easy things first, but I do defer to Verslagen's superior knowledge. Just for kicks, tap on the bottom of the muffler with a rubber mallet and listen. Then crank it and see if anything blows out.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/26/11 at 13:18:40

Thanks, tried that, full spacer in and up to the 155 still the same??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/26/11 at 13:32:22

Is there a washer under the main jet?

WWW   IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/26/11 at 13:36:56

Yes there is a washer under the main jet. Ill have another look tomorrow its 2100 Hrs here in the uk and Ive been playing with this all day

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 03/26/11 at 13:54:38

If going richer isn't working, then maybe it's time to go leaner.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/27/11 at 07:41:09

I went through all the jet info and got it running sweeet. I have now fitted a HD muffler and it just wont run right.

If it runs "sweeet" w/ the strate pipe, and that terrible w/ the muffler, then the muffler is at fault. There is no muffler that is going to cause that much of a problem unless it is seriously (defectively) restricted !
A muffler will  cause it to run a little richer, but not to the point which you describe.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/27/11 at 11:35:10

Routy wrote on 03/27/11 at 07:41:09:
I went through all the jet info and got it running sweeet. I have now fitted a HD muffler and it just wont run right.

If it runs "sweeet" w/ the strate pipe, and that terrible w/ the muffler, then the muffler is at fault. There is no muffler that is going to cause that much of a problem unless it is seriously (defectively) restricted !
A muffler will  cause it to run a little richer, but not to the point which you describe.

That makes sence,  Didnt get around to it today. Had a marathon to run. Ill play againe when I can feel my legs Smiley

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/11 at 12:08:21

Routy was bang on. I put an old sporty muffler on and all seems well again.
Thanks all

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/29/11 at 20:08:37

Waaaay to Goooooo Routy!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/30/11 at 12:05:39

Woops, nearly done but not quite. When riding hard and quick shut off, if you use the engine to brake not a problem but if you shut off and pull the clutch to coast to a stand still the engine will die. Im 3.5 turns out and a 50 idle jet. If screwing out richens do I need a bigger idle jet and screw in a bit. We in the UK need to tune for economy more than praformance as fuel is due to hit £1.50 a Lt I think that works out at about $10 a gallon. What fun :'(

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 03/30/11 at 12:08:09

Just double checking one of the basics here, but you have adjusted the idle screw to run about 1000-1200 rpm at idle, correct?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/30/11 at 12:42:37

Yep, no rev counter but running high if anything. As I said if you engine brake no problem but its my wifes bike and she will coast which will cause the engine to stall

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.