Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to do for a 15 y/o bike? (Read 184 times)
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What to do for a 15 y/o bike?
03/23/11 at 09:51:03

So, I got my savage a couple of months ago.  It is my daily ride to college classes.  I've put around 300 miles on it.  So far I've been really happy.  Mine is a 1997.

So far I've had and fixed the usual problems.  I had the oil plug leak which I fixed last weekend.  I also cleaned it up to look immaculate and replaced the spark plug which was fouled from one day I forgot to put the choke in.  I also had a battery issue which I fixed by replacing with a gel battery.  I have cleaned all connections and I changed the oil to moto-synthetic.  I also drilled into the back of the muffler with a 7/32" bit to improve the sound.  

I was wondering what were some other general maintenance items I may have overlooked.  Also, what are some (cheaper) mods that would be worth doing?

IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What to do for a 15 y/o bike?
Reply #1 - 03/23/11 at 09:53:56

Also, it has 9000 miles on it now.  

When should one replace the drive belt (or convert it)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/23/11 at 09:58:49

Drive belt will last forever.
Consider a Raptor 660 petcock... $25.00
Verslavey cam chain adjuster mod.. $60.00
See tech section.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/23/11 at 11:13:47

With only 9,000 on it, I wouldnt stress over the cam chain just yet. The petcock would be a good idea, just remember to turn it off,

ride that thing,, get it tuned up as you go,,tinker some every now & then & work to get it like you want it.
More noise & a bump in power for low buck,, Dyna Muffler,,Jet the carb to get the backfiring under control, IF its doing that. Mess with the idle air screw,, etc,, ding everything at once means that something might have not worked out, but you cant tell which one,, so, go slow, play with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/23/11 at 11:33:22

Replace the rubber on your bike.  particularly the vac and gas hose.

do this...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

It's very important to know how far out your cam plunger is.  And it will tell you the current state of the engine, worn out or good to go.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 03/23/11 at 11:35:11

valve adjustment - maintenance
seat - comfort
utility mods - comfort (it is a lot more comfortable to ride with books in a saddle bag or strapped to the back of the bike than in a backpack)

cone air filter - performance
after market muffler - sound/performance
both of these require messing with the carb, which isn't hard, per se, but time consuming

you can ditch some of the extraneous parts off the bike (chrome head covers, belt/pulley guard) based on your tastes if you like. i'm not the biggest fan of chrome (read: i hate it, but that is just me) or extra weight. of course, you can argue they are on their for safety reasons...

other than that, the only thing to do with a 15 year old bike is ride it! or, uh, i mean clean out the carbon build up by riding at WOT for a while  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/23/11 at 11:41:18

Collinoe, how much difference did that 7/32 inch hole in the back of the muffler make?  Did you drill it inside or outside of the circle defined by the rivets?  Just curious.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/23/11 at 12:48:06

This is common w/ the stock exhaust. Not sure, but I may have got it started a couple yrs ago, as several have done it.
It may have worsened the lean spot I had at 1/8 to 1/4 light load throttle, but the white spacer mod corrected that perfectly.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/23/11 at 17:56:04

This forum has a wealth of information and people willing to share it.  The best I have ever seen.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 03/23/11 at 20:53:36

verslagen1 wrote on 03/23/11 at 11:33:22:
Replace the rubber on your bike.  particularly the vac and gas hose.

do this...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

It's very important to know how far out your cam plunger is.  And it will tell you the current state of the engine, worn out or good to go.

I am assuming Verslagen included new tires if needed when he said, "Replace the rubber.."  Cracked, dry rotted, worn tires are my pet peeve. 352 lbs + you and your gear on two small contact patches. IHTH   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/25/11 at 08:51:46

@engineer:  the 7/32" hole made a huge difference

OK, I also already have comfort/utility mods in place but my pland for the next couple weeks is this:

1) adjust seat position by raising front a little bit--I found this on a diff site.--very simple

2)  Check cam chain tensioner plunger--the engine sounds as smooth as my bmw car though so I hope all is well here.  I would probably just replace the chain rather than do the tensioner mod.  Has replacing the chain been known not to help?  

2.1)  Probably at the same time as 2 I will do the petcock, Is there any danger of leaving it on on if you ride all the time (read 3 times a day or more)  .  I know if you don't ride a lot and leave it on water can build up and corrode the carb.

3)I will need to tune the carb as I have backfiring while decelerating with some regullarity

Other notes... tired are good so thats okay, someone recommended valve mods/tuning?    what do you mean there?

IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/25/11 at 08:55:31

on the muffler, the loudness is about doubled, and the sound is much better though you can hear the leaking air if you know what to listen for.
I did not notice an increase in leanness though theoretically it might be there.

I do have that lame spot in my throttle when lightly loading at ~1/4 throttle, at wider throttle this is fine or while acceleratng this is fine.  I do not think this is related to muffler mod though b/c I had this before and after.  If made worse, it is very marginally different

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:34:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to do for a 15 y/o bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.