Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New member, starting on a BCB Build! (Read 1293 times)
BAM4k
YaBB Newbies

New member, starting on a BCB Build!
03/21/11 at 20:19:17

I have been "lurking" on this website now for at least 3 months just waiting for the day that I can find MY Savage.  Well, that day finally came and I just had my new (to me) 2002 Savage delivered to the house.  3767 miles on the odometer and no problems as far as I can tell (using knowledge gained on this forum of course).  My main intention when buying this bike is to use the parts from Blue Collar Bobbers and make this thing AWESOME (not that they aren't already).  I will post pictures and notes along the way from beginning to end and document the process.  I am approaching this project as a complete novice having never done more than change the oil on my dads old Chrysler when I was a "kid".  Should be fun.........

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry"
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New member, starting on a BCB Build!
Reply #1 - 03/21/11 at 20:26:17

welcome bambam and lurk no more.
we expect to see your vision come to light.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 03/22/11 at 00:48:05

Welcome aboard ... look forward to seeing your build ... good luck!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 03/22/11 at 07:31:27

WELCOME!!! Used to be that there were several "bobber" builds going on around here, but lately all the talk has been about the RYCA CS-1. Nice to mix things up again and we are looking forward to pics of your build from start to finish.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #4 - 03/22/11 at 14:51:44

Greetings and Salutations Bam.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #5 - 03/22/11 at 15:00:53

EJID wrote on 03/22/11 at 07:31:27:
WELCOME!!! Used to be that there were several "bobber" builds going on around here, but lately all the talk has been about the RYCA CS-1. Nice to mix things up again and we are looking forward to pics of your build from start to finish.  Cool

I think the bobber builds will pick up again as the weather gets warmer. I'm working on mine a lot more these days. The Rycas are pretty darn awesome though!

Remember to post pics for us as you progress bam  Grin

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
BAM4k
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 03/22/11 at 16:11:59

Thank you all for the words of welcome.  I will post pics once I get started.  Just an update, bike was delivered last night, earlier today went and got the registration, tag and title done, just got done ordering the full kit from Blue Collar Bobbers and it should be here in a few days.  Great folks there.  

Also, I read the post in the market about not buying from "noobs" like myself but I will have a number of stock, like new parts available in the very near future.  Should I wait to post those in the marketplace until I am a gristled veteran of the forums or no?  (the "gristled veteran" part was tongue in cheek).  

thanks again for your welcomes and I look forward to sharing as I go.

« Last Edit: 03/23/11 at 08:36:55 by BAM4k »  

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry"
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #7 - 03/22/11 at 16:25:09

BAM4k wrote on 03/22/11 at 16:11:59:
Thank you all for the words of welcome.  I will post pics once I get started.  Just an update, bike was delivered last night, earlier today went and got the registration, tag and title done, just got done ordering the full kit from Blue Collar Bobbers and it should be here in a few days.  As an FWIW to anyone thinking of ordering from Lance and the crew at BCB, if you are ordering a bunch of stuff at once, send them an email and ask for a discount.  I sent them one (after I talked on the phone with them) and they sent me a discount code for my whole order.  Great folks there.  

Also, I read the post in the market about not buying from "noobs" like myself but I will have a number of stock, like new parts available in the very near future.  Should I wait to post those in the marketplace until I am a gristled veteran of the forums or no?  (the "gristled veteran" part was tongue in cheek).  

thanks again for your welcomes and I look forward to sharing as I go.

You shouldnt have a problem selling because we'll see that youre a "real" active member with pics and updates. That warning is more off to the people who register just to sell things and we know nothing about them. Those are the sketchy ones

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
BAM4k
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 03/29/11 at 20:53:10

Okay so here's an update.  Ordered the BCB kit on a Tuesday, it was shipped on Saturday, and arrived at my house on Monday afternoon!  So I watched the 2 hour DVD that was included in the kit to get a feel for what I was in for.  Not too bad, some electrical stuff needed to be rewound and watched a few times.  Tonight, Tuesday, I decided to get started with the tear down of the bike, here are some pics of that process (not that most of you haven't done this before and know what your bike looks like naked).  

Here she is stock

The DVD included in the kit was extremely detailed.  I have not had to refer to the Clymer manual once so far!  For those of you that don't have one, I highly recommend one of these magnetic parts holders.  It's got rubber covered magnets on it so it won't mar whatever it's attached to and it was a life saver tonight.

Here she is with the tank and exhaust removed

My neatly organized work area (note all the tricks I've learned from this site, the ziploc bags, laid out cleanly, the PBR).

This is the seat I ordered from BCB, the quality on this is awesome!

Here are the tins, all ready to go to the painter first thing tomorrow morning.  Note the BCB rear fender in there.  Regardless of what their website says, this is a very solid steel fender NOT fiberglass.

Thats all for tonight.  I've gotta get some rest.  Any suggestions on paint would be highly appreciated, I'm thinking either a traditional flat black, white or dark hunter green.  What do you all think?

Until next time.........

« Last Edit: 01/12/12 at 12:04:39 by BAM4k »  

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 03/30/11 at 06:16:53

one vote for green.

looks good so far keep us posted with pics

IP Logged
crackmonkey
YaBB Newbies

nothing to see here.
 keep moving

Hagerstown, MD
Reply #10 - 03/30/11 at 06:25:05

looking great... cant wait to tear into mine

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 03/30/11 at 06:48:32

Looks fun...just curious, I think you said you got the whole kit...what'd ya pay for it?
Also, which size seat did you get and do you think it will set you back farther on the bike or about the same?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
BAM4k
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 03/30/11 at 09:31:14

Bubba wrote on 03/30/11 at 06:48:32:
Looks fun...just curious, I think you said you got the whole kit...what'd ya pay for it?
Also, which size seat did you get and do you think it will set you back farther on the bike or about the same?

I did get the whole kit, the total with shipping was $1,300.00.  The nice thing is though, it includes literally everything you need to do the conversion.  It even includes loctite, etc.  

I went with the small seat at the reccomendation of Lance at BCB.  I'm not sure how much further back it will put me but he said it does put you back some and is a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.

IP Logged
BAM4k
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 03/30/11 at 09:34:24

I just dropped off the tank and the fenders, etc. at the painter's.  I decided to go with a burnt orange/copper color from house of kolors.  Here is a picture of the color I am using.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 03/30/11 at 09:55:16

My brother had his ACE painted with what he thought was going to be very similar to your choice of colors, but his looks much more red than yours. But I think I like the copper color you chose more.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member, starting on a BCB Build!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.