Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drive belts (Read 415 times)
reondadomino

TN
Drive belts
03/21/11 at 17:00:29

Could I use a drive belt from a Harley on my Savage?

Didn't realize it when I bought it, but the drive belt is shot. Then I found out how much they are to replace! A friend of mine rides Harley's and he thought maybe we could just replace it with a Harley drive belt, at the right size of course.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Drive belts
Reply #1 - 03/21/11 at 17:39:49

save the time and money and just do a chain conversion!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/21/11 at 18:09:47

These belts are not like HD belts.
it may show cracks and be perfectly fine
the fiber underneath does all the work.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 03/21/11 at 18:13:37

"Right size" would mean the correct width, length and tooth spacing. And the chances of that are...?

Besides, most HD stuff costs more just because it's HD.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
reondadomino

TN
Reply #4 - 03/21/11 at 18:31:53

I thought about that but I like the look of the belt drive. Plus I thought it would be more expensive, part-wise?

WWW   IP Logged
reondadomino

TN
Reply #5 - 03/21/11 at 18:35:08

How do I resize my pics so that it will allow me to attach them to my posts?

I keep trying to post a pic of the belt damage but it won't let me.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/21/11 at 18:40:19

Our list's picture space has been overfilled for 4-5 years now .....

You have to host your pictures elsewhere and post a [ img]"  "[/img ] around the picture's location data.

Details on how to do this are here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240899665

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 03/21/11 at 21:09:50

Don't recall any other belt that fits these bikes - new they are high $$
there are usually several around used in good shape for well under $50 likely under $20 off ebay - any year will fit.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 03/21/11 at 21:26:46

by the way these are pretty tough belts what makes the current belt shot?

IP Logged
reondadomino

TN
Reply #9 - 03/22/11 at 13:44:02

Looks like I tore on the top, just slightly, but that little strip was probably slapping around so the p.o. just cut it off. And then it looks like a rock or something got caught between the belt and the sprocket b/c there are 2 small holes in the belt.

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/22/11 at 13:52:45

If you are near any industrial centers there will be a vendor selling power transmission equipment.  I think the Dodge HT200 series ( I may be wrong on which series it is, but like chains these toothed belts have other uses and are standardized) has a belt that is metric, is the same width and pitch, and probably capable of handling more horsepower.  I think the standard one that is closest has two more teeth but I read about a Swedish guy using one (or something similar) and all he did was modifly his tensioner set-up a little to move the rear wheel back a little more so as to still have adjustment.  In Sweden he claimed he saved one half on the price.  Just be careful about what you order, there are different grade belts and make certain you can modify the tensioner, it requires a little welding if I remember correctly.

One other thing, industrial suppliers don't usually sell retail but if you are nice they can sell to you but then they have to mess with sales tax etc. and might arbitrarily jack the price up to cover the extra trouble.  If you work for a company that buys such things, even for maintenance, then buying through your company's purchasing department is the easiest way to go and the vendor is more inclined to do the research for you.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
reondadomino

TN
Reply #11 - 03/22/11 at 14:05:29

How do I link a pic from Facebook? I tried copying the link but it's not working.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 03/22/11 at 16:28:06

Reondad, just be patient and somebody on here will offer you one at a good deal. And post or look in the marketplace. They are often sold by people with parts bikes, because they last forever. (Usually) HTH

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 03/22/11 at 17:13:41

Its possible that this belt is used some where else in the industrial world, but don't bet on it. Suzuki is way more than big enough that it could have a belt manufactured for this bike only, and then be able to name the price.

engineer wrote on 03/22/11 at 13:52:45:
If you are near any industrial centers there will be a vendor selling power transmission equipment.  I think the Dodge HT200 series ( I may be wrong on which series it is, but like chains these toothed belts have other uses and are standardized) has a belt that is metric, is the same width and pitch, and probably capable of handling more horsepower.  I think the standard one that is closest has two more teeth but I read about a Swedish guy using one (or something similar) and all he did was modifly his tensioner set-up a little to move the rear wheel back a little more so as to still have adjustment.  In Sweden he claimed he saved one half on the price.  Just be careful about what you order, there are different grade belts and make certain you can modify the tensioner, it requires a little welding if I remember correctly.

One other thing, industrial suppliers don't usually sell retail but if you are nice they can sell to you but then they have to mess with sales tax etc. and might arbitrarily jack the price up to cover the extra trouble.  If you work for a company that buys such things, even for maintenance, then buying through your company's purchasing department is the easiest way to go and the vendor is more inclined to do the research for you.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/22/11 at 17:59:17

Here is a link to a belt catalog with technical specs, horsepower ratings etc.  This is just one of many manufacturers.  The Savage uses a Bando brand belt.  It has 133 teeth, is 40mm wide, with a 14m pitch.

http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/cross-morse/timing-belts/20096-124381.html

A standard with many companies is 135 teeth and 1890 long, so the standard size is 28mm longer, you would need to move the wheel back by about half that or about half an inch, that is quite a bit when you look at the adjuster.  Bando might have a standard of 133 teeth but as Routy said, it may be made for this bike only.  Belts are easily made to length for industrial users who buy in batch quantities.

With so many people converting to roller chains, there will be belts available as Boofer pointed out.  I saw one on Ebay about a month ago, I think it went for $60.  Two extra teeth doesn't sound like a lot but making that much extra length available at the end of the swing arm is a lot of work unless you are anxious to exercise your metal working skills.  One other thing, unless your belt has chipped out pieces or tears it may last for years.  A dealer told me they rarely sell a new belt.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.