Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
upper shock mount stud is stripped (Read 140 times)
B1-66er

I've been everything
you want to be.

Eastern Ohio
upper shock mount stud is stripped
03/20/11 at 15:36:07

pulled the nut off to put on license plate bracket, was very easy to take off. noticed that nut and stud are both stripped.

what are my options to fix this?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: upper shock mount stud is stripped
Reply #1 - 03/20/11 at 16:36:50

best geuss would be buy a stud puller, a new stud and a new nut.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/20/11 at 16:48:23

I fixed mine with a split collar...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1281894831

Got it at OSH

WWW   IP Logged
B1-66er

I've been everything
you want to be.

Eastern Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/20/11 at 17:26:17

the only problem with the collar is that i need it tight to hold the license plate/taillight bracket on

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 03/21/11 at 07:25:37

I got wondering why these bolts would strip -- other than people tightening them way too tight. So I went out and looked at mine on my disassembled frame. One nut spun off easily and the threads were big and crisp.  It's an M10x1.5 after all, not something wimpy. The other nut had to be persuaded off with a wrench, though. It was never finger loose. Hmmmm.

The threads on the mounting rod looked a little ragged and I tried putting the other nut on it just to see what would happen. It wouldn't spin on like it did on the other side. Okay. Then I tried the nut from the difficult side on the shaft of the easy side. It was stubborn there, too. Okay, so both the shaft and nut were ragged, and it was probably the nut that had messed up the threads on the shaft.

I got out the metric tap and die set to clean up the nut. But since it's an acorn nut, the tap bottomed out before it could chase all the threads. However, the semi-cleaned up nut (pictured below) would spin easily onto the shaft until it hit the ragged threads.

I don't know whether the nut was messed up from the factory/dealer or if the previous owner had managed to bugger it up. Either way, I'll probably replace both acorn nuts. They're scratched up anyway. I'll add them to my stainless steel fastener order. The rest of you might want to check the threads on your acorn nuts.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/21/11 at 18:50:34

Thanks for sharing the great picture and exploratory surgery.  If mine are galled up I will let you know, it is still in factory condition.  I plan to replace my shocks soon.

I have a question about the shock mount, I assume it is a shoulder bolt/stud with a larger diameter where the shock bushing rides and the acorn nut bottoms up on that shoulder.  I think I read that it is 13 mm in dia., is that right?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 03/21/11 at 19:04:51

It's 14mm, top and bottom.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/22/11 at 13:15:40

Thanks for the info MotoBuddha.  The Icon site gave a dimension of 10mm and I knew that couldn't be right.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/01/11 at 11:32:35

I removed the acorn nuts securing the shocks on my bike, the nuts and the threads on the shoulder bolts and posts looked fine.  They weren't very tight.  Maybe previous owners of some of these bikes messed them up.  I doubt that the acorn nuts are high grade fasteners.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › upper shock mount stud is stripped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.