Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Left side engine cover gasket (Read 54 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Left side engine cover gasket
03/18/11 at 16:21:41

I removed the left side engine cover today to find top dead center so I could finally do the plug cap replacement and as always whenever dealing with paper type gaskets it fell apart upon removal  Angry  I called the parts store for a replacement and $15 dollars later it will be here in 5 days. My question is this- is it possible to use a high temp oil resistant permatex for this area or do I need the gasket?  This feels like a dumb question but its worth asking just for my peace of mind Smiley  spring is coming soon and gas prices arent dropping trying to get ready to ride....
Thanks everyone for any input..I appreciate it.

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Left side engine cover gasket
Reply #1 - 03/18/11 at 18:20:24

there are many that use OEM gaskets, Goo type gasket makers, or a combination of both. I personally use Hight Temp Copper Infused gasket maker from the auto parts store... $5-$7 depending... I don't even bother with factory or aftermarket gaskets anymore! Just a personal choice.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #2 - 03/18/11 at 19:00:32

I was hoping someone would reply like that  Smiley  My concern is the amount of oil that drained out when I removed the cover- well over a quart  Shocked  Is this the normal amount contained in there or is it because i had the bike on the side stand and was leaning that way anyway?  Its good to see that someone else has used a sealant as a gasket.  I think I may try that...wonder how many others have done this - common practice?

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/18/11 at 19:06:16

Both side covers hold the oil in.
You're going to loose some when you take them off.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:20:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left side engine cover gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.