Send Topic Print
Poor dependability (Read 411 times)
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poor dependability
03/18/11 at 09:24:38

I have owned a Suzuki Savage for about 6 years; total mileage about 16K.  It was my primary  transportation until about three years ago but I switched to a Sportster. The Savage is ridden some by me but mostly by my son. It is maintained religiously. However, it has proven to be costly to keep it dependable. It is now back inthe shop for more engine work. This will be about the third time for engine work, which will reach about $1400 if the current worst case scenario proves true. Why are these bikes so undependable and prone to mechanical problems?  
I would understand if it were run hard but it is ridden at no more than highway speeds. Rarely does it ever venture onto an Interstate Hwy.
I've asked the mechanics to install a modified cam chain adjuster which a friend directed me to from her experience, the link may have even come from this site.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: Poor dependability
Reply #1 - 03/18/11 at 10:08:21

sorry to hear that you've been having issues.
What are some of the problems you've been facing?

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #2 - 03/18/11 at 10:17:14

I have highly modified mine.... beefed up the carb, straight pipes, timing, new frame (rigid) and the only problems I have had were oil leaks, which are the common ones and easy to fix.

As already asked, what are the problems? That could better answer your question. These bikes have proven to be highly reliable.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/18/11 at 10:51:12

The problems are always attributed to valves, cam, cam chain, and once was the piston. The issues were on in that area.

All work has been done by motorcycle shop mechanics, with the intention of eliminating errors by someone like me who would be learning as he went.

I am envious of the history described below and hope that this third major repair will be the charm and the bike will be as dependable as my Sportster.

I chose the bike for the same reason as the Sportster, simplicity.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #4 - 03/18/11 at 11:38:22

Well then... the Cam and valves can and are contributed to the Cam Chain. There are several, lengthy threads about this. What exactly happened with the piston? Something specific would have to cause an issue with that... unless its related to the valve problems. I valve slapping the piston can sure do some damage.

I would recommend you pick up or download the manual from here. With some simple tools, and a little know how (manual) you can fix just about anything on this bike in your driveway/garage. You can save thousands in repair costs that way. Additionally you get the satisfaction of knowing you fixed the problem. The more intimate you are with your bike, the better she will treat you. It helps to diagnose problems too.

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/18/11 at 11:55:22

Quote:
All work has been done by motorcycle shop mechanics

I hope you have people you can trust.  Because of the savage is a cheap bike, we usually get the shop novice.  Secondly, we know the bike, inside and out, everyone has their little specialty, this is the 1st time shop mech has seen the bike, all he knows is the book.

Quote:
The problems are always attributed to valves, cam, cam chain, and once was the piston

stock from the factory, this is the weakest parts.
due to the lean burn, the piston and valves can overheat.  We always recommend rejetting.
Cam chain and guides do wear but because of the design never reaches the max allowed stretch before replacement or catastrophy.

I have 2 savages, rode the 1st till it read 46K then the clutch cam broke, I was ready to change out the cam chain anyway.  I have rejetted, remuff'd, and verslavied.  Nary a problem that didn't deal with a newb on his 1st m/c.  My second savage has been more of an adventure.  Used '88 with a burnt piston to begin with.  Swapped in a engine from an 'o2 along with most of the running gear.  It has 41k now.  I've had 1 short to deal with.  At 20k I put in the verslavy.  And rejetted down from 155 to 152.  I do all my own work.  That is our biggest advantage.  When you hear a noise you can work on till the noise goes away and then you know what that noise means.

Dependable?  yes, I ride daily.  And I've only push started it a couple of times.

WWW   IP Logged
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/18/11 at 17:29:12

Thanks for the words of hope. I have ridden about 30 years and the Savage is the first cycle that has been such an unpleasant experience; the others were quite dependable and with one exception, were all used. With the exception of the Sportster, I have generally preferred 650s. They always had enough power for me and I am not small. The primary reason for moving to the Sportster was that I use a motorcycle as daily transportation and wanted something dependable. There is an independent Harley mechanic that has a very good reputation -- quality of work and price. Appears I may need to become the mechanic on the Suzuki if I hope to enjoy more carefree riding.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #7 - 03/18/11 at 19:54:43

Quote:
Appears I may need to become the mechanic on the Suzuki if I hope to enjoy more carefree riding.

+1   Wink

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Freddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/28/11 at 15:28:59

Just a few tid-bits gleaned from a visit to the local Suzuki dealership / service area:
The mechanics' nickname for the Savage is "Salvage."
The service manager was adamant that a top end rebuild is almost essential every 12K or so. Needless to say, the bike is not there any longer.
The 650 Thumpers have no longevity.

I must admit I found all that interesting since I had ridden a 250 single cylinder Yamaha over 16K without any significant issues and it was operated at more demanding levels than the Savage.

Just thought some of you might find the above remarks interesting; I did.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/28/11 at 16:53:24

Having read your other thread, I think you have caught on to the real cause of your issue -- the stealership's mechanics have been bending you over the bike hoist and giving you a periodic lube job.

Now, you tell us what makes you think the bike is really broken now?  

Not what they said, YOU tell us the symptoms as YOU see them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/28/11 at 17:03:53

Interesting indeed.

What I also found interesting was 2 yrs ago when I was looking for a used 800cc sportster, I never found even 1 over 5-6 yrs old that did not advertise a "rebuilt" or "new" engine, and as I remember, not 1 of those had over 12,000 miles on the odometer. Interesting indeed.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 03/28/11 at 17:13:02

It is possible that those who had dependable bikes kept them.  I love my Savage, and I intend to keep it for as long as I can ride, but I have also put around 200,000 miles on Harleys over the years.  The "evo" engine is one of the most trouble free engines ever produced.  Of course, like all air-cooled engines, well, engines in general, you have to do the maintenance, and keep an eye on the oil.  

I  find similar kinds of comments on the CL about Ducatis, and various squid bikes-not a lot of mileage, and a lot of work done.  I often wonder if it is a function of the bikes, or the dealers.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #12 - 03/29/11 at 06:12:29

I am in agreement with the guys responses
here. I would check into getting a manual
as well as listening to the guys advice here.
They can walk you thru whatever you need to
do. You won't find any better advice or help
about this bike than you will here.
Check out the search and make sure you
change the default, it is set for 1 week. You
can change it for up to 1 year..
Good luck and we forgive you for saying
this bike is not as dependable as we know it to be..Smileykim

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 03/29/11 at 06:46:23

Having just fixed up a 15 yr old I bought for $500 I can tell you bringing it back to life was a great winter project. The previous owner had just spent $400 to get the carb rebuilt and an oil leak fixed at a shop.
They obviously didn't know what they were doing.
In total, I spent maybe $150 to get it running (that was purchasing tools too!).
She had told me they wanted another $500 to get it running again. She also told me the carb still needed adjusting because when it did run it ran terrible...but it's road worthy again and the carb is actually pretty much already dialed in.
Just saying the project was fun and I learned a lot. Now I can aplly everything I learned to maintaining my '06 which I hope to have for a looooong time.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/29/11 at 07:28:51

Top end rebuild at 12 to 15 k? Total nonsense. Whats he think this thing is? A 2 stroke dirt bike?

Barring some mechanical failure, like a valve head falling off & wrecking the piston/head/cylinder, this engine will run to 15 or so thousand miles, then its likely gonna need some cam chain attention, replace it, slap a Verslavy in it,or both,, ,, whatever.

Book says retorque head bolts at 6,000 miles,, mine has 20K on it, never had a head bolt touched, no problems.

Okay,so, could drop a valve, not common, but not unheard of, either.
Then there the cam/paddle that pushes the clutch rod. That blasted thing breaks sometimes. So far, I dont think anyone has suffered catastrophic loss over it. One of my cam chain guides broke when that thing went, but it was the one that can be replaced without pulling the head.

I cant imagine being able to get the work done in a shop that you can do yourself. Those guys dont have time to get really knowledgeable about all the ins & outs on such a low buck machine.

Low Idle RPM= Death.
Slow, but certain. The oil pressure is low. The cam spins in the head, no bearing inserts of any kind, keep that engine spinning at no less than 1,000 rpm.

The $$$ spent on tools will be saved multiple times by not hiring someone else. AND, youll have the tools for the next mechanical hassle you encounter. Your son can learn right along side you. The people here can & will support your efforts. A maintenance manual & some tools,,, heck, youll be on your way.

Well, as Soon as we figure out that intermittent noise & power surging thing,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor dependability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.