Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick question - muffler related (Read 159 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
quick question - muffler related
03/17/11 at 15:38:44

Just swapped out my Dyna muffler with a Softtail muffler. Its barely touching the brake line. Will this hurt for a quick test ride to see how it sounds, before I decide how to line it up better? Or whether I want to swap back.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: quick question - muffler related
Reply #1 - 03/17/11 at 16:53:13

Well, I did it anyway.  Rode for about 35 minutes.  Still have a small exhaust leak, but otherwise, it sounds awesome!  Deeper tone than the Dyna, I believe.  It ran good, with a few more little kerpows on decel, but I like it!  Roll the throttle in my tunnel... wow!

Now to make an adjustment to get it a little further away from the brake line .... hmmmmm

(and I did it all by myself!)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/17/11 at 18:00:00

You're talkin' about the brake cable?...  
Won't hurt it...  Mine was touching,...  I bent front cable mount a bit to stop it rattlin'...

PS,.. Way to go Piglet!... Woohoo!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/17/11 at 18:10:43

have your local muff shop fab you an adaptor piece 7" long with 10 degree bend will point it away from cable and lever..
i gotten them for free and up to $5 depending on the shop..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 03/17/11 at 18:52:47

Thanks!  Yes, Bot, the brake "cable".  My bad.  haha
The newer muffler is actually about 3 inches longer than the Dyna, and it rides in the bracket very well.  Its about and inch larger in circumference than the Dyna, but side by side, they look pretty much alike.  I don't think an adapter is what I need.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 21:13:15

Good job Piglet. I like to read about
us gals doing the wrenching on our bikes.
Years past many men believed women belonged
inside the house, barefoot and pregnant.
Glad those days are in the past for me..Smiley kim

IP Logged
Lawsonwelding
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/17/11 at 21:19:06

sweet , i used the sportster muffler and just cut the end off it , i ended up putting the muffler and the piece i cut off on the header and tack welded it in place after all the bolts were tight , not a single exhaust leak ! i am happy no double clamps extra parts and the stock chrome cover fits great looks good !

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/18/11 at 01:30:36

put like 1/4 inch spacers on the bracket that hols the muffler on. that should keep it off the cable.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 03/18/11 at 05:21:34

I did put one spacer between the muffler and the bracket, but another one just might do it.  Or a thicker one.  Thanks!

I had two clamps on the other muffler, and thought about putting both on this one, side by side, but I couldn't expand the dang thing enough to get it slipped over the end of the muffler.  Not enough hands to turn the bolt and spread the thing at the same time.   Not sure if the threads were stripped or what the problem was.  Tried using a vise for help holding it, and then some robo-grips to help spread, but gave up.  lol

One other question -- after my ride, it seemed to make a ticking sound, it was just because of the heat and cooling down.  But I looked into the end of the muffler and that booger was glowing red.  I guess I never looked inside the other one.  Is that normal??  Like I said, the bike ran well and I never had any hesitation or dragging or anything.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/18/11 at 05:44:07

is it a catalytic model?... it will say on the side...
if so,.. it has a heat coil in the front end.  that would explain the extra length and the glowing and ticking...
no problem, enjoy...
just don't park in tall grass... Huh...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 03/18/11 at 06:37:45

Serowbot wrote on 03/18/11 at 05:44:07:
is it a catalytic model?... it will say on the side...
if so,.. it has a heat coil in the front end.  that would explain the extra length and the glowing and ticking...
no problem, enjoy...
just don't park in tall grass... Huh...

Aw heck, I don't know.  Didn't check for that, but I will.  What's the heat coil for anyway? 

But if you say its ok, I'm ok with that!!   Wink  Thanks.

No grass for me either...   Cool

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/18/11 at 07:26:20

If its the Cat model, they'll even let you in california now ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 03/18/11 at 07:34:52

it looks like a spiral coiled hacksaw blade, in the front end of the muffler,... exhaust gasses heat it up to glowing red hot, and that burns off more pollutants...
I don't know if that will cause premature blueing of the chrome, or maybe,... Harley used thicker walls to prevent that... Maybe that's why your muffler is also a little thicker...
Cruiser guys hate blued chrome...
Personally,.. I love it...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 03/18/11 at 16:34:06

Can't find anything on the muffler about it being a catalytic model.  Its mounted, so there are areas that I can't get to, but I've looked through all the pics I took before it was mounted and don't see any other writing in those areas.  Says models FXS1584, and the usual 80db legal stuff....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick question - muffler related

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.