mixture screw (Read 464 times)
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
mixture screw
03/16/11 at 21:01:50

Good evening, so this past winter I transformed the bike with all new paint, custom rear fender, drag specialties light, custom blinker mounts, blah blah blah. What really matters is that i finally changed the intake and exhaust, cleaned and put new gaskets on the carb, and of course a jet kit. The problem I'm dealing with now is the idiot(place swear word here) who had the bike before me destroyed the brass mixture screw. Everythings installed and ive even taken it on a couple rides but it runs poorly of course. Does anyone have any solutions besides buying a new carb? Any help will be much appreciated because riding season is here and its going to be 60 degrees tomorrow Grin

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: mixture screw
Reply #1 - 03/16/11 at 22:24:39

Why not just replace the mixture screw? Cheapcycleparts.com is usually the cheaper site....and we need to see pics of your bike

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/16/11 at 22:28:56

Once you are at the point of throwing a carb away, and buying another...  
All options are open...

Here's what I'd do...
Apply penetrating oil or wintergreen oil liberally...
Get a fine punch, or a sharp nail... dimple the brass idle screw as dead center as you can,... use a small drillbit, to drill in about 3/8" to 1/2"(you can use a wrap of masking tape around the shaft of the bit to measure depth)...  Then,... snap the end of a bit one size larger, off in a vise, turn it around and gingerly tap it into the hole you drilled... put a vise-grip on it and try to crank the pilot out...
.. if that failed,.. try a sharp flat blade screwdriver, sharpened to a point on the tip... tapped into the hole, and twist that sucker out...
Hope that makes sense...
Man,  I'd booger that thing to bits before I shelled out for a whole new carb...

Might wait for a couple more ideas before you try it,... somebody else might have a better suggestion,...that's just an offering of what I would do...
I think it's too narrow for an easy out, and I've never had much luck with them anyway, although I've heard good things about Craftsman brand.

Ohhh!,... wait a minute!... That was my last resort method.
First,...remove the carb, lay it on it's side, idle screw up, and soak wintergreen oil into the hole like crazy for a couple of hours... then try the sharpest flat blade bit you got... even file a chisel edge point to it, so that it will cut into the brass.
If you can get it out with that, you can then, cut a new blade slot into the screw and save it too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/17/11 at 06:06:52

I used a Harbor Freight screw extractor set to get the one out of a replacement carb I bought. Worked like a charm! Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
Reply #4 - 03/17/11 at 12:43:01

thanks for all the input guys. i was able to take her for a couple rides today and it seems to be running much better. the only issue is that it still backfires when i kill it. ill try to get a picture thats small enough later. again thanks for the input

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 17:00:35

thespot413 wrote on 03/17/11 at 12:43:01:
thanks for all the input guys. i was able to take her for a couple rides today and it seems to be running much better. the only issue is that it still backfires when i kill it. ill try to get a picture thats small enough later. again thanks for the input

"Pow" on shut off is fairly common.  I personally love when mine does it.  Others have found minor adjustment to minimize it.  They will add input soon...

If you are saying "small enough" because when you try to upload a picture, it tells you its too large... the size of your pic isn't really the problem.  We are full on pics, so you have to use one posted elsewhere and link to it.  There are instructions in the Tech section. Best of luck on your wrenching.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
Reply #6 - 04/02/11 at 08:12:41

Finally got my picasa account back so heres a pic. I have another question tho, while adjusting the carb, it seems that ive turned the mixture screw all the way in the get it to the point of now black smoke. checked the plug and it looks like its burning pretty clean, but, i am not sure if its perfect and lucked out since the mixture screw is buggered up or if my jetting is too much? Its a 160 main and i have new intake and exhaust so i figured that would be the right jet.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MJAU1KFDX0LcrYcf6lvgUvkw3jY8Y8E2pPRoJ-F...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 04/02/11 at 08:29:41

Opening the intake is not going to change anything, except....and maybe during WOT only.
Opening exhaust could call for a step larger main jet, but a little elevation could also compensate for that. So thats why I always say to mod carb only if it needs it,....and only in the area that needs it,......because in fact, it may not need it. Others may disagree.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/02/11 at 08:58:34

thespot413 wrote on 04/02/11 at 08:12:41:
I have another question tho, while adjusting the carb, it seems that ive turned the mixture screw all the way in the get it to the point of now black smoke.

Clock Wise (CW) is in or leaner, CCW is out or rich, how many turns out are you?  becareful turning it in, it can jamb in the closed position.

Quote:
checked the plug and it looks like its burning pretty clean, but, i am not sure if its perfect and lucked out since the mixture screw is buggered up or if my jetting is too much? Its a 160 main and i have new intake and exhaust so i figured that would be the right jet.

what new intake and exhaust?

WWW   IP Logged
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
Reply #9 - 04/02/11 at 10:26:17

im not sure the guy that had the bike before really messed up the air idle mixture screw and i was able to turn it about 2 times when after i re-jetted and it was blowin black smoke until i got it to what appears to be all the way in unless its stuck. I used a K&N cone filter and an early 90s muffler off ebay. it runs decent now im just concerned the mixture screw isnt screwing all the way in and i could be getting a finer tune instead of settling for where its at now

IP Logged
thespot413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WMASS, MA
Reply #10 - 04/02/11 at 10:27:14

and in my post i meant "no" black smoke instead of "now" black smoke, should read what i write more often

IP Logged
prototype5678
YaBB Newbies

Semper Fi

Reply #11 - 05/02/11 at 18:54:02

What does this mean? it can jamb in the closed position. I turned mine all the way in and cant get it out. I have seen this post and am having this same problem and dont want to buy another one. But just in case were can you get one.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/02/11 at 19:25:45

prototype5678 wrote on 05/02/11 at 18:54:02:
What does this mean? it can jamb in the closed position. I turned mine all the way in and cant get it out. I have seen this post and am having this same problem and dont want to buy another one. But just in case were can you get one.

Well it's not like we didn't warn you.
Others in your predicament said there's 2 types.
So I'd wait till I got it out then go down to the stealership and match it up.
Get the biggest screwdriver that'll fit w/o galling up the threads and push real hard and turn.  Brass is soft and if the screwdriver starts to slip out it'll mess up the slot.  Maybe a small impact driver will be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
prototype5678
YaBB Newbies

Semper Fi

Reply #13 - 05/02/11 at 19:34:24

I tried just that the results were bad i just today drilled down the center and put an ease out in and thought here it comes until the ease out broke can you buy this carb after market cause they want way to much for one at the dealership

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/03/11 at 04:06:19

You might try calling around to a few machne shops & see wht it would cost to get that brass screw out..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mixture screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.