Send Topic Print
Flyin' High (Read 98 times)
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Flyin' High
03/16/11 at 19:33:01

The high altitude '02 Savage, now outfitted with a Supertrapp with 6 plates, K&N filter and some 1/2 inch holes drilled in the filter cover, 45 pilot, 145 main, 1/2 spacer on the needle, Raptor petcock, in-line fuel filter, and weather-checked tires in need of replacement, started with a roar when I turned it over this afternoon.  After playing with the idle and mixture, I took it for a ride, and got it up to 90 before backing off.  Rolloff indicated the main is a little lean, as revs increased slightly when I backed off to 7/8 throttle, but not much.  It certainly didn't slow down.   I've got 147.5 and 150 main jets coming.
Pilot is a bit of a puzzle, as it doesn't slow much as the screw is turned in, and only slightly at 2 1/2 turns out.  I expected  amore noticeable effect, I guess.  I'll try again tomorrow with the idle set higher, but I'm not getting any great  increase in revs, just small changes.  It's hard to  believe I need to go all the way from a 45 to a 52.5 pilot, but the stock pilot is on the way.  
It sure doesn't bog anywhere from idle to full throttle.  It's a hell of a rush after riding a 250.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: Flyin' High
Reply #1 - 03/16/11 at 21:32:41

The rolloff test is actually supposed to show whether the main is too big. Backing off to 7/8 throttle with increasing speed means it's too rich at full throttle.

IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #2 - 03/17/11 at 07:52:02

Page 5 of the technical section, Lancer's data on jetting CV carbs:"If the engine gains power as you roll the throttle off, the main jet is too small...".  Ergo, I need a larger main.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/17/11 at 08:06:57

fyi
insure engine is completley warmed up when carb tuning

standing for those who stood for US