drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
No luck at all
03/16/11 at 13:15:52

Well, I got the modified tensioner adjuster installed, rebuilt the carb again, did the front brakes, and reassembled all the rest. The battery was on a trickle charge most of the winter. Crank, crank, dead. I go get a new battery, install and everythings ok. Crank, crank vroooom. Once up the alley and back, and there's oil pissing out the top of the dam side cover. Now I get to tear it all apart again, try to save the new oil, spend the money for the dam gasket, and hope IT don't leak. This is what I get for trying to save $$ on gas. I'll just spend it on the dam bike instead.

Smiley

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: No luck at all
Reply #1 - 03/16/11 at 13:31:51

don't cuss at the bike like that! She'll hear you.

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #2 - 03/16/11 at 14:03:14

I encourage you to check the screws that have washers on The clutch/engine cover and see if they are place on the right place. On the clymer manual they emphasize this so you don't get a leak.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/16/11 at 17:31:06

Ya the washers are in the right place--that's not where it's leaking--it's coming right out the seam. I had it idling while sitting there watching it. I guess you can have a leak even when they're overtorqued. I tried to sneak by using the old gasket--couldn't afford a new one at the time. I guess I have no choice now. I hope my landlord understands.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 03/16/11 at 17:54:59

I just did the tensioner mod and instead of buying another $17 gasket, I bought a $4 roll of gasket paper at Napa that i can probably get four out of. Traced the old one and it works great now.

HOWEVER, when I first put it back together, the bolts wouldn't tension up. I even snapped one. after draining the oil, pulling out the broken bit and and replacing the bolts with new ones, all is well. The bolts that Suzuki uses are notoriously crappy, but I could visibly see the stretch. anyone else ever break one of these?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 03/16/11 at 21:36:08

No, never snapped one. The recommended torque for these bolts is 11-13Nm. If you snapped one, then you went way beyond that. Actually I'm surprised you didn't strip the threads out of the block instead. It's just aluminum.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/17/11 at 02:28:32

Was that the DIY gasket?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 03/17/11 at 10:27:49

i guess the bolts are meant to break before the case strips out, which is nice. that was with the gasket i made, but i could tell that they were stretching the first time i replaced with a proper store-bought type. it wasn't really a snap either, it would just never get to torque and as it stretched, the metal got pulled thinner until it failed. I was torquing to 15.
Regardless, the homemade gasket works great

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 03/17/11 at 14:32:32

groupus wrote on 03/17/11 at 10:27:49:
i guess the bolts are meant to break before the case strips out, which is nice. that was with the gasket i made, but i could tell that they were stretching the first time i replaced with a proper store-bought type. it wasn't really a snap either, it would just never get to torque and as it stretched, the metal got pulled thinner until it failed. I was torquing to 15.
Regardless, the homemade gasket works great

That is shockingly low grade, considering that the clutch cover also has the mechanical function to actuate the clutch through the little cam in there. If you look real close when you pull the clutch, you can see the cover flexing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/18/11 at 04:45:14

Glad the diy gasket worked out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No luck at all

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.