Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
kentucky rifle PROGRESS (Read 192 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: kentucky rifle PROGRESS
Reply #15 - 03/17/11 at 10:21:13

That is quite beautiful Mick!  Might have to try my hand at putting one of those together.  Very nice.

And yea, David Garrett is an awesome musician, and sooooo easy to look at too.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 03/17/11 at 14:27:32

Click, Bang, Boom!!!! I was hooked the first time I ever fired a muzzle loader. Nice job Mick Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #17 - 03/17/11 at 17:43:49

mick wrote on 03/16/11 at 22:50:27:
arteacher wrote on 03/16/11 at 03:55:12:
I buy musical instruments just to enjoy the craftsmanship of the woodwork- maybe I'll have to start looking at rifles too. It's beautiful!

I once toyed with the idea of making a violin and or a guitar from a kit,
I think the violin kit was about $178 , My left hand is screwed up so I could never play, but I still might build one.
I love to listen to a great player like David Garrett,he is amazing.
Are you a fan ?

I actually just picked up one of his CD's a while back, based on your recommendations.  Listening to it right now in fact, the "Rock Symphonies" album.  Pretty cool, covers of rock songs, from Aerosmith to Metallica to Led Zeppelin.  Liking it so far. Cool

The gun's looking great, I've got a .45 that has almost exactly the same lines.  The wood doesn't look as nice though. Undecided

Wish I had an answer for ya on bending the trigger guard. Huh
Edit: actually, I do have an answer now, kinda... Undecided
Just got off the phone with my brother, who does some gunsmithing, and has built some muzzleloaders, and asked him about this.  He said it should be ok to bend cold, unless it's been hardened.  If it doesn't bend with reasonable pressure, it'll need to be annealed.  He says this uses a process backwards from annealing steel; in other words, you need to heat it and quench it.  Heating and air cooling actually hardens it.  He couldn't remember how hot you need to get it, but he said not red hot, since he did that with a butt plate on one he built for me, and it made it brittle and it cracked when he tried to straighten it.  You can probably find the particulars online somewhere.  He also said, it's not a complete loss if it does break.  If you're good with a brazing rod, you should be able to patch it back up to where you'd never know the difference.  Hope this helps! Undecided

Oh, and here's a pic of his handiwork, it's the one on the bottom, .75 cal smoothbore.  My .45's on the top, the pistol is a .50:

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
NoBikeYet
YaBB Newbies

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Far NorthEast Texas
Reply #18 - 03/17/11 at 23:05:14

You do nice work, Mick. *Very* nice work- the stocks are beautiful. Thumbs Up!

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 03/18/11 at 11:13:11

Good for you John, now you have to try David Garrett "Live in Berlin"
it's a dvd so you can see him in action,absolutly amazing.
Your guns look great,I love the one at the bottom 75 cal ,wow that could stop a tank, I think in England they call that gun a "Blunderbus"
your friend does great work. Thanks for sharing,        Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - 03/19/11 at 07:38:39

mick wrote on 03/18/11 at 11:13:11:
Good for you John, now you have to try David Garrett "Live in Berlin"
it's a dvd so you can see him in action,absolutly amazing.
Your guns look great,I love the one at the bottom 75 cal ,wow that could stop a tank, I think in England they call that gun a "Blunderbus"
your friend does great work. Thanks for sharing,        Mick

Yep, it's indeed a blunderbuss, the original "sawed off shotgun".  It actually shoots pretty consistently with a round ball too, considering there's no front or rear sights. Huh  My brother did a pretty good job on it.  Just need to keep the metal work lightly oiled, since it raw metal, for authenticity.

And yeah, I'm liking the David Garrett.  He has a great version of Beethoven's 5th, and a couple other jazzed up classical tunes on this CD. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/21/11 at 17:49:30

Saw Perlman many many years ago at Tanglewood- astounding! Wink

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/21/11 at 17:58:27

-when I've worked with brass it didn't show heat color like steel does -- slow and gentle and then suddenly it was soft -- no extra heat - that's when it gets messed up. I use a hammer wrapped with leather or canvas to tap soft stuff cold into the bend I want. I wrap the head to keep the hammer marks off of it.  Wink

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:20:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › kentucky rifle PROGRESS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.