Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Build (Read 3997 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Savage Scrambler Build
03/14/11 at 22:52:23

Hi all.  I have been lurking for a while now and thought that I would add a bit instead of just taking.  I've learned a ton about these great bikes over the last 6 months or so from reading the info you guys have added here over the years...so...thanks for that.  I have to say, that I belong to several forums, but none have a better crew of guys (and gals).

I bought my 2001 LS650 early last summer with the intentions of buying a Ryca Kit and converting the bike to a cafe style.  I've ridden it quite a bit.  Even took it on a 750 mile round trip to a vintage bike show in Birmingham.  She did just fine.  The Ryca kit is a really great idea from a guy ,Casey, that appears to be good folks (he has even helped me with some information on my build)...but I suffer from impatient guy syndrome in a large way.  So...I started the tear about a week ago with the thought of converting my Savage into a Scrambler style of bike. I'm planning on using the bike as a daily road rider, gravel road explorer and might even hit the occasional single trail.  Here is the plan and pics will follow:

12.5 inch rear shocks
drop the front about 2 inches (to get rid of some rake.  still has plenty clearance)
aluminum skid plate
18" rear hoop laced to stock hub
16/52 sprockets with 530 chain conversion to keep stock ratio and add some adjustability
stock front wheel
Continentel  TKC 80 dual sport tires front and rear
4.5 gal gas tank from 79 Yamaha XS750
Renthal dirt bike bars
Extend and flaten seat posts to fit a triumph scrambler seat???(still working on this one)

I have a few pics that I will try to attach first, then I'll post a few pics of my inspiration.  Feel free to offer your feedback or suggestions...good, bad or ugly.  I can take it!
Noffi

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: Savage Scrambler Build
Reply #1 - 03/14/11 at 23:11:12

Before...

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #2 - 03/14/11 at 23:13:53

Some inspiration...

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 23:15:58

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 23:18:42

Have you seen this one?...
BORILE B651 SCRAMBLER 2005 - 2007

.. and here's mine.  I went so far as 12.5" shocks, and fork boots,... but, a left side, upswept pipe would make my day...
I'll be watching your build... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 23:23:19

Yeah!  even google didn't have much to say about it though.  I found the manufacturer, but they don't make them anymore.  Too bad...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/14/11 at 23:34:58

PS,.. Man!,.. you look young in those pictures!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 03/15/11 at 00:07:27

Alright!!! An LS650 Scrambler ... GO FOR IT!!!! Am lovin' those knobbies! Can't wait to see this one finished! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/15/11 at 05:15:24

I'm an old motocrosser so i thought about doing a scrambler or supermoto type mod also. I put on longer shocks and boots but hadn't thought about your idea to lessen the rake. The seat / rear fender combo seems to be they key to finishing it off. I'm thinking about getting a new bike but maybe a mod like this will keep her around a while longer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/15/11 at 07:26:51

Serowbot wrote on 03/14/11 at 23:34:58:

No kiddin, looks like he found he Fountain of Youth & fell in,, Gonna be a few years before he can even ride

Boys don get in too much trouble if theyre in the garage with Dad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/15/11 at 12:41:58

mpnoffi wrote on 03/14/11 at 22:52:23:
Hi all.  I have been lurking for a while now and thought that I would add a bit instead of just taking.  I've learned a ton about these great bikes over the last 6 months or so from reading the info you guys have added here over the years...so...thanks for that.  I have to say, that I belong to several forums, but none have a better crew of guys (and gals).

I bought my 2001 LS650 early last summer with the intentions of buying a Ryca Kit and converting the bike to a cafe style.  I've ridden it quite a bit.  Even took it on a 750 mile round trip to a vintage bike show in Birmingham.  She did just fine.  The Ryca kit is a really great idea from a guy ,Casey, that appears to be good folks (he has even helped me with some information on my build)...but I suffer from impatient guy syndrome in a large way.  So...I started the tear about a week ago with the thought of converting my Savage into a Scrambler style of bike. I'm planning on using the bike as a daily road rider, gravel road explorer and might even hit the occasional single trail.  Here is the plan and pics will follow:

12.5 inch rear shocks
drop the front about 2 inches (to get rid of some rake.  still has plenty clearance)
aluminum skid plate
18" rear hoop laced to stock hub
16/52 sprockets with 530 chain conversion to keep stock ratio and add some adjustabilitystock front wheel
Continentel  TKC 80 dual sport tires front and rear
4.5 gal gas tank from 79 Yamaha XS750
Renthal dirt bike bars
Extend and flaten seat posts to fit a triumph scrambler seat???(still working on this one)

I have a few pics that I will try to attach first, then I'll post a few pics of my inspiration.  Feel free to offer your feedback or suggestions...good, bad or ugly.  I can take it!
Noffi

You need to use a 17T front sprocket with the 12.5in shocks. The change in the angle of the swingarm will make the chain constantly scrape across the top, right above the bearing, otherwise. Id be hesitant to do anything higher than 17/50. Might get away with 17/47 but it'd be close enough that you'd have to constantly keep your chain in perfect tension.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/15/11 at 13:58:39

Like the idea.  Please keep posting I would like to see the progress on this project.  Somebody here mentioned re-lacing his front wheel with an 18 inch rim vs. the stock 19 inch rim.  I see new tires in the pics so maybe you are committed to those rims but to me it makes sense to go with a smaller front rim to help pitch the angle of the bike forward to reduce rake.  That way you might be able to put a 1 1/2 inch spacer in the front suspension instead of the usual 2 inch spacer and save some of that fork travel.  If you do any dirt riding you might want that travel.  But maybe you are already past that point on your build.

The straight top seat will get you some height so you can move the pegs back.  How about the pegs?  How and where do you plan to mount them and deal with the shifter etc?  I would like to know how people are dealing with that problem.  There isn't a whole lot of space on that frame.  I see you got some help on that project.  Including your kids is a great thing to do.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #12 - 03/15/11 at 17:58:17

Serowbot,
I'm really digging that tank/ fender.  Did you have them chromed?

Serowbot wrote on 03/14/11 at 23:18:42:
Have you seen this one?...
BORILE B651 SCRAMBLER 2005 - 2007
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/medium/BORILEB651SCRAMBLER-m...

.. and here's mine.  I went so far as 12.5" shocks, and fork boots,... but, a left side, upswept pipe would make my day...
I'll be watching your build... Wink...

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/serowbot/vg006.jpg?t=1300170059

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #13 - 03/15/11 at 18:01:43

Yeah...my son LOVES to "work in the garage"  I have him convinced that some motorcycles talk...and we just happen to have a couple that do!  Lucky I guess.  Unfortunately, I got home from work late (after bath time)  so the fork lowering session will have to wait another day.  Embarrassed

Serowbot wrote on 03/14/11 at 23:34:58:

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #14 - 03/15/11 at 18:05:39

I'm having a ball with this Web.  You should give it a try.  I mentioned this idea to Casey at Ryca.  He said that he wouldnt mind seeing some pics after I'm finished.  Seems like a nature progression for his new business to offer a scrambler kit.

WebsterMark wrote on 03/15/11 at 05:15:24:
I'm an old motocrosser so i thought about doing a scrambler or supermoto type mod also. I put on longer shocks and boots but hadn't thought about your idea to lessen the rake. The seat / rear fender combo seems to be they key to finishing it off. I'm thinking about getting a new bike but maybe a mod like this will keep her around a while longer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:27:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.