Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2 up riding. (Read 398 times)
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
2 up riding.
03/14/11 at 09:20:42

I just bought a 2006 S40, and I am new to Suzuki products. I am wondering how this bike will do with 2 up riding. Also is there a seat that gives the passenger more room? Thanks...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
danthewrenchingman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Re: 2 up riding.
Reply #1 - 03/14/11 at 11:29:31

the bike can handle two people, but i think you would want the passenger backrest to make them feel a little safer. Make sure they know how to ride with you.  As far as making the seat bigger

And i think that this is the best way to make the seat bigger for your passenger http://www.buttybuddy.com/

IP Logged
danthewrenchingman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 03/14/11 at 11:37:48

i honestly haven't seen anyone use that butty buddy seat, but i think a girl would appreciate it

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 19:32:15

No way would I ride 2 up on the stock seat.
I ride my own bike and would make sure their
was a totally different seat I had to ride 2 up. Smiley kim

IP Logged
colinnoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 22:52:52

My fiance and I ride to school together everyday, I have a home made rack welded on for my bag and she wears her backpack.

I only have the stock passenger seat with the stock sissy bar for her, but we are perfectly comfortable.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 23:05:42

How many miles is it to your destination? That can make a difference as well.

IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #6 - 03/15/11 at 08:12:34

Kim, That is the eventual goal... The better half is riding one of my dirt bikes to get the feel for a  motorcycle. Once she feels comfortable she wants to take a MSF course. Then we will buy her a bike. ..

I only plan on riding 2up for a longest distance of 30 miles at most...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 03/15/11 at 08:22:43

The bike has enough torque for two up riding.  

The size of the passenger is the only issue.  My son loved riding with me (he been mini-biking since 2003) but as he hit high school and played Freshman football (as a lineman), he got too big.  

I had the wife on the back but that was a test of our marriage.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #8 - 03/15/11 at 08:31:04

I weigh 350 pounds, so I imagine that I probably top out at quite a bit more than you and your wife combined.  The bike has plenty of power for me, including freeway speed, and 100-160 mile rides through mountains.  You should have no problem there.

Comfort is another issue.  I would check out the post above on the buttbuddy.  I have heard some very positive things about it from passengers.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 03/15/11 at 09:20:09

Silly, be warned, your creating a monster. Grin Grin Grin
I started out riding 2 up on hubby's bike. I was perfectly
happy doing so. It was his idea for me to learn to ride
my own. I did fight it at first. Now I wonder why I did?
I can't even imagine ever riding 2 up again. Well maybe
if his bike breaks down and he needs a lift somewhere.. Grin Grin Grin
As far as the bike being able to haul both of you, I am in
agreement as the capabilities of it doing so.
Maybe place a pillow or memory foam on the seat for her
till she gets her own ride. Best of luck to her and make sure
you post pics of you both with the bikes.. Hugs.Smiley kim

IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #10 - 03/15/11 at 09:34:56

Gerald, I am 235lbs and the wife is 5'9'' and has 34 inch inseam so she is not little either...I feel confident in the ability to pull the weight...I have ordered a set of Ed L's control brackets...I wish they had made the rear seat a little longer....

Kim, I know I am creating a monster...LOL... I used to drive a circle track race car....I have always been confident in my wife's ability to tow trailers... So one day when I had to work late I had her tow the race car to the track...I changed clothes and left work...When I arrived at the track my truck and trailer were there but no racecar...I look beside my truck and the guys I race with were all there and my wife was missing...I then looked out to an area we used as a practice track when the track was busy...My racecar was there being driven by my wife with a big smile...I offered to let her drive anytime she wanted but she never took me up on that offer... I have a feeling that we will be buying her a bike before long...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/30/11 at 21:06:28

Silly Ogre wrote on 03/14/11 at 09:20:42:
I just bought a 2006 S40, and I am new to Suzuki products. I am wondering how this bike will do with 2 up riding. Also is there a seat that gives the passenger more room? Thanks...

JMHO, but, I don't like my Savage (see signature block - it has the stock seats (two piece)) for 2-up riding.

I'm 5'10", 160 lbs.  SWMBO is 5'9" and (when we tried riding 2-up for the first and only time) weighed 190 or so.  Although the bike itself had enough power and brakes, we found the accommodations to be VERY uncomfortable.  Won't try it again!

BTW, I must mention here that, a while back, SWMBO lost about 50 lbs. (I had to add that just in case she ever sees this post!).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/30/11 at 21:28:49

I've ridden 2 up a few times with either my wife or my neice. The bike can handle it, although I worry now, with the damage to engine and all. Biggest problem for me is the seat is so small, passenger tends to lean forward a little bit, thus causing ME to have to lean forward. I need to lean back. ( 6'1", 250lbs ) So it's real uncomfortable for me. I prefer to ride solo.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #13 - 07/31/11 at 12:12:44

Engine will handle it, depending on your size you may be cramped, suspension is going to suck and watch your rear tire dont rub on your bag brackets(if you have em).

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 07/31/11 at 12:13:16

My wife and I go on rides together often. 100+ miles every time. She said she has no problem with the seat. She is 5' 105lbs. I am 5'11 and 200lbs. You can feel the additional weight, the bike doesn't pull AS hard as being solo, but it isn't really struggling either. The brakes are up to the task as well, just needs a little harder actuation. I then go ahead and stiffen up the rear shocks one notch from 2-3 and the suspension feels like riding solo. I do have a sissy bar on the back, which used to be a backrest from a Intruder and it is bolted to the fender. She had one of those tiny purses with boobiez on the front. So it essentially looks like a woman's upper body in a black corset. She retired it for being too small, so what I did was cut a slot in the bottom and pull it over the sissy bar and tie it with a ribbon on each side. I had a 1/2' thick neoprene pad that was about 6"x6" and stuck it inside the purse for padding. It looks pretty cool on the back with the "boobiez" facing the rear. She said it feels like a real backrest, but she's totally happy with the look as well. It even still holds a cigarette pack and lighter and a comb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:25:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2 up riding.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.