Send Topic Print
Clutch bad? (Read 94 times)
superdave
YaBB Newbies

I love my boulevard!

Missouri
Clutch bad?
03/13/11 at 22:28:57

Decided to ride my 2006 S40 (9147 miles) one day this winter (but now I sure wish I hadn't).  Maybe the lever on the carb was in the wrong position, according to my brother-in-law.  In any event. the gas got mixed with the oil, cause when we opened the oil drain plug, all the oil and gas poured out.  Cleaned out the carb, checked both filters (oil and air), replaced oil, and put in fresh gas.  After many attempts, we got the engine running again.  But the clutch lever is loose and won't stay out.  We let the engine run awhile and worked the lever back and forth, but still it won't stay out like it should.  I assume the gas/oil mixture screwed it up, since it is a wet clutch.  Do we need to replace entire clutch assembly, or just springs, or what are your thoughts?  I couldn't find a drawing for it.  I did read where it could become complicated if you are not careful.  What parts cost are involved, or would it be better if I take it to a dealer?  I would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch bad?
Reply #1 - 03/13/11 at 22:49:06

Normal position for the petcock lever is straight down.
Download the owners manual for info on many things savage.
also check the petcock for proper operation, serowbot will be along shortly with a link.

It could be that you had a multiple failure and your float valve may be leaking.

On to your clutch, you squeeze the lever and it don't come back.  Reach down to the clutch lever on the engine.  Does it flop up and down too or stay up and you can't push down?  If it flops up and down easy than most likely it's the clutch cam, easy fix buy a new one.  If the lever is stuck up, is it your cable?

Really not complicated, keep the lever between the marks. replace the rod when it's not.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/14/11 at 00:16:24

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 07:25:38

Serowbot wrote on 03/14/11 at 00:16:24:

Well, somebody has the link to "testing your petcock" Shocked

At anyrate, the clutch is one thing,....don't seem like that could get hurt too bad. But I would just be thrilled that the engine isn't noisy Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 07:46:49

Clutch lever wont stay out? Will th clutch disengage? If not, the paddle is busted. That takes the pressur Right on off th lever on the side case. Try wiggling that part,, if you can move that by hand w/o grunting, its busted in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
superdave
YaBB Newbies

I love my boulevard!

Missouri
Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 17:59:58

Yes, the lever on the side of the engine case can be moved easily back and forth with your hand.  The clutch lever moves back and forth also when you move the lever on the case, so the clutch cable itself is not stuck.  So you are saying the paddle is busted inside.  I finally found a drawing of the clutch.  http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/PDF07-ls650-parts-list.pdf
Which numbered part is the "paddle"???  I am trying to research this so my brother-in-law can work on it.  Thanks for your responses!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/14/11 at 18:16:12

looks to me like...
Cam release... 23263 24b01   $5.33...

I think I'd spring for a new spring too...
Spring...  09448 13010... $1.08...

PS... check your cam chain while you're in there... and you may need a new engine case gasket if you booger the old one getting it apart...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/14/11 at 18:31:44

and an oring seal for the lever shaft.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/14/11 at 19:20:26

verslagen1 wrote on 03/14/11 at 18:31:44:
and an oring seal for the lever shaft.

Ohhh, yea,, youll be glad to not have a leak there,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/15/11 at 07:27:41

Wow, isn't it amazing what gas in the oil can destroy ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:24:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch bad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.