Mom's heading home! (Read 123 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Mom's heading home!
03/13/11 at 18:56:46

Had a pretty tense weekend.  My mother ended up in the hospital.  Lots of pain, but not life-threatening.  A pinched nerve that had been bothering her for a long time finally reached a tipping point and went from annoying to excruciating.  The first few phone calls she was miserable, but coherent.  Once the pain meds kicked in, well, Mom wouldn't make a very good junkie -- morphine turns her into a delusional zombie.  Add to that the fact that she's deaf as Beethoven but refuses to admit it, and the hospital staff was convinced she was flat out demented.  Fortunately someone took her off the dope, and by the time my brother got there he was able to demonstrate that she was deaf, not senile.  So -- while she probably should go to a rehab center for some intense physical therapy, she refuses, feeling that it's just a stepping stone to a nursing home.  It'll be home health worker, and we'll see if she gets the therapy.  She's heading home tomorrow, my brother will return next weekend to check on things, and we'll be seeing her in April as planned.

Y'know, it's really nice having you guys to vent to!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: Mom's heading home!
Reply #1 - 03/13/11 at 21:10:41

Hey drHarvey's. nice to hear she is going to be ok.
You can vent anytime. Our Moms are very special
people.
Again, nice to hear she is doing better.. hugs. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/14/11 at 00:22:57

You go, Mom!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 03/14/11 at 01:48:17

Home health workers are nice and she will get more attention but rehab centers will usualy do more rehab wise. Less nonsense.
Many nurseing homes(you bring em in to an appointment) will have patiants brought in from their homes a couple of times a week. Medicare takes care of most if not all of it.

IF, i say IF, you have to think about a nurseing home if/when it gets to be to much, make sure you do a good background check and ask around a LOT for info. Good ones are expensive, even after medicare and insurance. Some are worse than jails.
And on that note DONT do the nurseing home unless you really have to. Sometimes at some point it becomes impossible for the family to take care of them depending on their ailment.
I speak from experiance. Dont do the nurseing home unless you absolutely have to. Use a home health nurse to help you out.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 03/14/11 at 05:18:18

Yea doc, this is a great vent zone!  

Glad your Mom is doing better.  How old is she?  And what did they do about the pinched nerve?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #5 - 03/14/11 at 05:31:26

You are not alone....what you described is almost exactly what I have been dealing with the last three weeks with my Mom. 91 yrs, a fall, two vertebrae fractured, surgery and the aftercare. She is nearly blind instead of deaf. Surgery was amazing and healing is coming along nicely, but the whole event took a lot of starch out of her emotionally and physically. Definite improvement when she got home Friday.
I wish your mother well and hope she will continue to improve.
One thing that came out of this was a willingness to have a conversation about a long range "game plan" for future needs.

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 03/14/11 at 17:20:05

Well, now she's not going home till tomorrow.  They're waiting for the results from one more test, if it's as expected she's outta there.

The big question is whether she can still drive.  I guess that's the "carrot" to put her through the "stick" of the PT.  If she can, she'll be back in her own place.  If not, there's a seniors apartment building close to my brother's place and across the street from Trader Joe's.  She could rent out her condo -- it's close to the beach and would more than cover an apartment that's not close to the beach.

However, for now at least, she's out of pain, and hopefully on the mend.

Thanks for some sympathetic ears to bend!

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/14/11 at 18:28:21

Hoping for the best for you all. Keep your spirits up and keep us posted.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 03/15/11 at 20:21:29

First I'll say, "There's no place like home." But we fail to mention that many who go into nursing homes come out in 6 months feeling better and go back home. My wife worked in a NH in social work and medical records for 17 years. I never even realized it myself until she told me. Being around other people and a little physical activity seems to be what humans need. The results are amazing with some, and their will to live is restored. Good news. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 03/16/11 at 01:41:56

Mom's back in her own home with her dogs and a home health lady.  She sounded better on the phone, we'll see how much physical therapy she actually does at home.  She's also pretty deaf, and will not wear hearing aids.  She doesn't like them, even though the rest of us can see an improvement in communication when she wears them.

This produces some problems.  When the hospital staff talks to her, she responds to what she thinks she hears.  The disconnect results in mis-communication, she responds with a combination of stubbornness and argumentation, so the staff thinks she's senile.  I suspect this also messes up her gaining any real information or help from her doctor.

Well, I should be seeing her in April for her birthday, among other things.  I'll see what's going on then...

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 03/16/11 at 07:30:23

Doc, nice to know she is home. Sorry to hear though
that she refuses to wear her hearing aids. Yet isn't their
something in her records that tells the workers she wears them?
If not, then their should be.
I remember when I was a CNA that we had records on our patients
that stated what they had, ex hearing aids, dentures, pace maker, etc.
All they have to do is read that she should be wearing them, check and
see their not in her ears and, that would help with the problem of her
being mistaken for being senile instead of hard of hearing.
Then again, when she persists not to wear them when home or out and about, it does propose a problem.
I wish her all the best in her recovery. Hope the fact that she is home for  now will help with the p.t.  Hug her and enjoy every min, stubburn or not.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 03/16/11 at 17:22:15

kimchris, Since you mentioned you were a CNA, I have more respect for you. CNA's don't get the pay or respect they deserve.   Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #12 - 03/16/11 at 21:38:55

Thanks Boofer and I agree.  It has been awhile since I was an CNA and
in fact looking into getting back into the field.
Wish now I had stayed with it and gone onto nursing school.
I would gladly take care of Doc's Mom if she lived closer..Smiley kim

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 03/17/11 at 23:36:48

Glad to hear your Mom's doing better Doc.  Hopefully being in her own home will help her recuperate quicker.

It's always a downer to hear about your Mom having medical issues.  I mean c'mon, it's Mom!  She's the one who helps you when you're sick, she's not supposed to be sick. Aren't Mom's indestructible after all? Huh  Close enough anyway.  Here's to all you tough Moms! Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:39:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mom's heading home!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.