Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Applied Racing Crankcase Breather/Filter (Read 324 times)
Bubbasan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Champaign, Il
Applied Racing Crankcase Breather/Filter
03/12/11 at 14:09:51

Here is a picture of the small crankcase breater/filter I got on line from Applied Racing.  It has a removable foam insert inside of it.
http://appliedrace.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products...

Sorry I didn't take pictures before I put it on.  But to install it I had to buy piece of tube that fit the 8mm post with 1/2" OD to slip inside the existing tube.  I like the small size of it.

IP Logged
jersey savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Applied Racing Crankcase Breather/Filter
Reply #1 - 08/04/11 at 11:35:13

where did you get the cone filter and what diameter is the opening?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/04/11 at 14:09:38

This was moved to RSD as it needs a bit of clarification and some discussion before becoming a tech section item.

=====================

My first discussion point is "Where do the oil drips go?" from the condensed oil droplets that will be filtered and collected by the foam center.

A suggestion would be to extend the tube down to a lower point on the engine where they can drip harmlessly down directly to the street.

Of course we older engine guys see a lot more blow by than you young engine people do, so the point that is obvious to us but it may not be so clear to somebody with a relatively new engine with fewer miles on it .....

=======

Second discussion point is the actual volume of huff air movement.  The stock huff tube was sized that large for a reason and you have choked it down considerably to attach this particular huff tube filter.

Take your rotor side timing plug/port off and crank up your engine for a moment and put your hand down there to get a feel for how much air gets moved around by that big piston going up and down during running.  This huffing action happens all the time inside the engine.

"Trapping the huff" inside the crankcase robs some rear wheel output energy from the engine, turning it into a momentary "volume compressor" and potentially increases the amount of back stroke leakage past the rings on the dead strokes as the crankcase itself can build up a slight positive pressure and cannot relieve it properly through the decreased diameter huff tube (which is also mebbe partially blocked off by an oil soaked little center foam element?).

The stock huff tube is at full size and isn't restricted in any fashion, it just blows and sucks freely inside the protected filtered side of the air box.   A proper huff tube air filter system should try to do the same thing, and should be put down low so the higher mileage bike's trash condensation oil can drip down directly to the pavement instead of mebbe making a mess on the top of your engine.

« Last Edit: 08/04/11 at 16:46:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #3 - 08/04/11 at 14:12:02

I paid less than half what they want for them but it's the same thing, same place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOULEVARD-S40-SUZUKI-SAVAGE-K-N-STYLE-CONE-AIR...

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #4 - 08/05/11 at 09:17:42

This is my set-up, stock tube, large filter mounted low. I have a 95' and get a few oil drops now and then, easy to see and wipe off the side cover.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 08/05/11 at 09:41:52

Here's my setup before changing my air filter to a cone mounted right on the carb. I've never seen a drop of oil come out of that breather filter...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 10:39:43

Bubbasan wrote on 03/12/11 at 14:09:51:
Here is a picture of the small crankcase breater/filter I got on line from Applied Racing.  It has a removable foam insert inside of it.
http://appliedrace.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products...

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2011%5C03%5C12%5Cbikepics-2167771-800.jpg

Sorry I didn't take pictures before I put it on.  But to install it I had to buy piece of tube that fit the 8mm post with 1/2" OD to slip inside the existing tube.  I like the small size of it.

I was looking at similar filters elsewhere. Yours is cool, though. I might go that way.

I'm trying to think of a reason, though, why the hose can't be shorter and tuck away under the tank. The stock hose is as long as it is in order to reach the air filter box. Why not just enough to hook the new mini filter to the spout on the cylinder head?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/05/11 at 10:52:24

skeebo wrote on 08/05/11 at 09:17:42:
This is my set-up, stock tube, large filter mounted low. I have a 95' and get a few oil drops now and then, easy to see and wipe off the side cover.
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/119/d7b74734c38d471ea24515cfe92b5...
http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/122/bfe0ddffb3d84cf0befff6691ef45...

Seems like you need an extended tensioner plunger, or a new cam chain.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #8 - 08/05/11 at 11:14:01

MotoBuddha wrote on 08/05/11 at 10:39:43:
I'm trying to think of a reason, though, why the hose can't be shorter and tuck away under the tank. The stock hose is as long as it is in order to reach the air filter box. Why not just enough to hook the new mini filter to the spout on the cylinder head?

I think the only reason for them making them longer is just so you don't get splattered if some oil does come out of it.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/05/11 at 11:25:08

ralfyguy wrote on 08/05/11 at 10:52:24:
skeebo wrote on 08/05/11 at 09:17:42:
Seems like you need an extended tensioner plunger, or a new cam chain.

Yep, that thing is about to fall out.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:14:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Applied Racing Crankcase Breather/Filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.