Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
My RYCA project - first test drive (Read 3250 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My RYCA project - bike done
Reply #90 - 06/24/11 at 19:08:20

Just dont run over a big rock,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 06/24/11 at 20:25:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/11 at 19:08:20:

when I sit on the bike, I still have about an inch of clearance for the license plate. I only weigh about 150 pounds too. A friend on mine who is pushing 200 pounds sat on it, and the license is nearly touching the wheel. I may try it out for a week and see what happens before re-locating it. My Dunlop K70's on the rear definately make it more of an issue relative to the stock tires that RYCA provides. THose dunlops are over 26.5" in diameter, which is significantly larger than the tires in the stock kit.

IP Logged
MikeRIC
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #92 - 06/24/11 at 20:34:56

Awesome bike, very nicely done and a great color scheme.  I'm loving the ryca look!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #93 - 06/25/11 at 03:20:20

sbaugz wrote on 06/24/11 at 20:25:02:

when I sit on the bike, I still have about an inch of clearance for the license plate. I only weigh about 150 pounds too. A friend on mine who is pushing 200 pounds sat on it, and the license is nearly touching the wheel. I may try it out for a week and see what happens before re-locating it. My Dunlop K70's on the rear definately make it more of an issue relative to the stock tires that RYCA provides. THose dunlops are over 26.5" in diameter, which is significantly larger than the tires in the stock kit.

Drums hit a big rock & boogered his freshly jazzed up bike up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 06/25/11 at 06:28:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/11 at 03:20:20:
sbaugz wrote on 06/24/11 at 20:25:02:

Drums hit a big rock & boogered his freshly jazzed up bike up.

Oh, right. I see his post now. Hopefully no rock hitting for me.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Re: My RYCA project - first test drive
Reply #95 - 06/25/11 at 18:14:47

Got my bike fired up today and took it for a spin.
I like the way it drives and handles.
The EMGO pipe is not as loud as I thought it would be. It sounds alot different than the stock s40, much throatier sound. I did re-pack the EMGO with fiberglass packing, which I think helps.
I ended up using 150/55 jets. I turned the screw out 3/4 turn and it fired right up. I drove around the block a few times and it drove really, really, well. No pops, backfires, and acceleration was excellent.
Now for the bad news- I did the entire test drive with my choke on. I forgot to push the choke back in. I did not get a chance to drive it again without the choke on, and will attempt that tomorrow. My fear is that it won't drive quite so nicely the next time when I actually remember to push the choke back in. \
Only other issue I had is that the turn signal buttons are a little awkward, so I have to rotate the bars just a touch so that my thumb reaches a little easier.
Oh, and one more issue. WIth that big dunlop K70 tire, my license plate is rather close to the tire. I hit a pothole and the license plate hit the tire for a second. I might have to move it to the side of the shocks after all.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #96 - 06/25/11 at 19:08:14

Doh about the choke.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #97 - 06/25/11 at 20:03:12

sbaugz wrote on 06/25/11 at 18:14:47:
Now for the bad news- I did the entire test drive with my choke on.  

I've never done ANYTHING like THAT!!    Roll Eyes

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #98 - 06/25/11 at 20:12:33

I hit a pothole and the license plate hit the tire for a second. I might have to move it to the side of the shocks after all.

Most license plates can be trimmed 1/4" top and bottom and no one will notice, although it is technically illegal in some locales.  If you do that, and curve the bottom of the license plate up a little so it doesn't want to chisel into the tire, you might get enough clearance for normal riding.

I'm going to have a problem with this because I am 6'3" and 210, and I am using a large diameter tire like you (Avon Speedmaster).  The tire clears the RYCA cut out in the swingarm by 1/16" -- the swingarm will be wearing the nubs off the tire before I have a chance to have pavement do it!!

I'll be trying all kinds of things to either tweak the license plate in its stock location, or move it to another location.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #99 - 06/25/11 at 20:17:49

Gyrobob wrote on 06/25/11 at 20:12:33:
I hit a pothole and the license plate hit the tire for a second. I might have to move it to the side of the shocks after all.

Most license plates can be trimmed 1/4" top and bottom and no one will notice, although it is technically illegal in some locales.  If you do that, and curve the bottom of the license plate up a little so it doesn't want to chisel into the tire, you might get enough clearance for normal riding.

I'm going to have a problem with this because I am 6'3" and 210, and I am using a large diameter tire like you (Avon Speedmaster).  The tire clears the RYCA cut out in the swingarm by 1/16" -- the swingarm will be wearing the nubs off the tire before I have a chance to have pavement do it!!

I'll be trying all kinds of things to either tweak the license plate in its stock location, or move it to another location.

Good point about trimming the plate down. I will try that. I think you might be in for trouble- my friend is about 200# and when he was sitting on my bike, the license plate was very close to the tire- probably around 1/2"-3/4" with him just sitting on it.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #100 - 06/26/11 at 01:06:54

just tuck the license plate on the fender part of the battery box.
if the "man" gives you trouble for it just tell him what he wants to hear and i bet he'll let you go. im sure he wont even notice anyways

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #101 - 06/26/11 at 06:04:25

MotoBuddha wrote on 06/23/11 at 16:41:05:
I've been debating what to do with my side covers. Yeah, they're kind of large. I'm usually an anti-logo guy, but I'm considering the Ryca logo, but maybe smaller.

might decide to contact RYCA to see what a second set of these (side covers) would run me. I was thinking if I made them black, they might not stand out as much, and they would sort of blend in with the frame, shocks, motor a little more. Hmm, too bad I don't have photoshop or I'd see what black side covers would look like with my copper tank and seat.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #102 - 06/26/11 at 06:11:59

How about not using side covers at all?  Just use a tiny lithium battery tucked down low or hidden in the tail cone.  Then you'd have lots of open space between the motor and the rear wheel

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 06/26/11 at 06:18:44

Gyrobob wrote on 06/26/11 at 06:11:59:
How about not using side covers at all?  Just use a tiny lithium battery tucked down low or hidden in the tail cone.  Then you'd have lots of open space between the motor and the rear wheel?

thought about that. At this point, I just wanted the bike done. Just not sure no side covers would like right either- because of the gap between the seat and frame on top. I like rpnsht's approach with the mini side covers, but don't feel I have the technical experience to do all the mods required. Will probably ride mine as is for the summer and then think about changing it over winter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #104 - 06/26/11 at 06:28:42

sbaugz wrote on 06/26/11 at 06:04:25:
MotoBuddha wrote on 06/23/11 at 16:41:05:
I've been debating what to do with my side covers. Yeah, they're kind of large. I'm usually an anti-logo guy, but I'm considering the Ryca logo, but maybe smaller.

might decide to contact RYCA to see what a second set of these (side covers) would run me. I was thinking if I made them black, they might not stand out as much, and they would sort of blend in with the frame, shocks, motor a little more. Hmm, too bad I don't have photoshop or I'd see what black side covers would look like with my copper tank and seat.

Maybe someone will do it for you.. Or maybe get a vinyl sheet & wrap a tin up? Dont have to stick it on to just get an idea how it would look. Those tiny but heavy duty paper clips with the chrome handles otta do it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My RYCA project - first test drive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.