Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
My RYCA project - first test drive (Read 3250 times)
sbaugz
Ex Member

My RYCA project - first test drive
03/12/11 at 08:46:41

I've been doing some work on my bike, in anticipation of the kit release. RYCA had my tank and hub.

I installed the lowering kit and upgraded shocks from RYCA. It was a piece of cake. While I was at it, I replaced the brake pads and cleaned up the calipers. Ordered a set of shock boots from cheapcycleparts.com too.

The bars are mounted temporarily. I have to play around with them a little to get the right location. I plan on ordering some custom made brake lines with different banjo fittings and shorter line.

I got the generator cover, belt cover, oil filter cover, and clutch cover powder coated a matte black. Those are now re-installed and not leaking yet!  The timing inspection cover is from a VS800 and uses a hex wrench instead of the slotted one that comes on the s40.

I wrapped the header with titanium 2" exhaust wrap from DEI.

Finally, this morning I got out the jigsaw and 4 1/2" grinder and hacked up the fender. The fender will be taken to the powder coater this week for black matte finish. I mocked it up to let you all see what it looks like.

« Last Edit: 06/25/11 at 18:09:40 by sbaugz »  
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: my RYCA project
Reply #1 - 03/12/11 at 15:27:54

If you don't like the look of the top of the fork boots, you can grab the top pleat, slide the boot down, then pull back up. The top band of the boot will probably grab the fork and turn inside out as you pull up.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/11 at 14:50:53

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/12/11 at 15:27:54:
If you don't like the look of the top of the fork boots, you can grab the top pleat, slide the boot down, then pull back up. The top band of the boot will probably grab the fork and turn inside out as you pull up.

Thanks for the tip. I might consider doing that, although I think I might like the fork boots the way I have them.

Got another couple pics today of the header wrap. I used the titanium wrap from DEI. Don't need to wet it when you install and you don't need to spray it with anything, ie, high temp paint.

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/11 at 11:01:11

ordered my stainless brake lines from elite parts on ebay. $31 shipped from Canada. Decided to go with 32.5" black line with a 0 degree fitting on caliper and 90 degree fitting on master cylinder. Will see how that works. Works out to be a solid 8 inches shorter than the stock brake line.
Now, what to do about the clutch and throttle cables.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 03/20/11 at 11:21:56

sbaugz wrote on 03/20/11 at 11:01:11:
Now, what to do about the clutch and throttle cables.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/custom/

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #5 - 03/20/11 at 12:38:26

You can also contact Joe@barnettclutches.com he can help you out with The cables and you can order directly with them. I just ordered a cable and there is No need for a middle man.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
B1-66er

I've been everything
you want to be.

Eastern Ohio
Reply #6 - 03/20/11 at 15:56:38

how many feet of that wrap did you need? is it the one inch or two inch?

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/11 at 16:23:55

15 feet was plenty of the 2" wide wrap. I made the mistake of ordering 15 feet of 1" wrap first and was short about 5 feet. I then re-ordered the 2" in that length and it was fine.

IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #8 - 03/20/11 at 17:53:27

50ft of 1" did the trick for me and I had plenty of
It left. Wink

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/26/11 at 07:16:42

Some minor progress on my bike.
I took the stock fender and cut it way down with my jigsaw and smoothed the edges with my grinder. Sanded it nice, had it media blasted and then powder coated gloss black.

Trying to decide on tires right now. I am leaning towards the Dunlop K70 vintage tires- front and rear.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 03/26/11 at 07:39:58

Looking good!  Smiley

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/11 at 16:37:59

more progress, albeit very slow progress.

Got an e-mail from Ryan, telling me my tank is done and the fiberglass parts are getting primed. Only other limiting factor right now is getting the RYCA custom parts powder coated. I would guess any time now my kit will be shipped out.

Patched up the cracked headlight bucket and painted it black with Krylon Fusion matte black.

Mounted the Dunlop K70 vintage tires on the stock front wheel

Painted the front brake rotor black

Added the suzuki decal to front triple tree

Did all the recommended frame cuts for my RYCA kit.

painted the front turn signal fork clamps black

ordered some vintage Harley coke bottle type grips and bar end turn signals and halogen headlight bulb- all from ebay.

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: my RYCA project- updated pics 4/16/11
Reply #12 - 04/16/11 at 16:58:41

I have the same grips in red, how are you gonna install the bar end mirrors? I always thought you had to get specific grips for the mirrors to mount properly

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #13 - 04/16/11 at 18:39:57

You know, the Ryca kit includes grips -- very much like those from what I can tell looking at the photos.

A little skillful cutting with an Xacto will open the ends so you can use barend mirrors (or signals, in my case).

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/16/11 at 20:16:46

yes, I know they come with them.
I was going to e-mail and tell them I don't need them. I wanted to get a head start while I am waiting and completely finish off the front end.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:13:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My RYCA project - first test drive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.